ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-09, 04:23 PM

polandspring is on a distinguished road
Recently diagnosed but meds don't work

Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this site and I've already found heaps of useful information so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my experience with medication so far.

I'm 20 years old and was recently diagnosed with ADD about 2 weeks ago. I've been prescribed Adderall ER 10 mg to take daily and after all the success stories I read here, I was really hoping that the Adderall would bring about a clear, focused state of mind when I was working on my summer assignments. To my disappointment, the meds seemed to not be having any effect on me whatsoever; the first day, I actually felt a little groggy/tired and slurred my speech a little. The second day, I still had that fuzzy feeling but everything else was fine and everytime I've taken it since then, I feel no transformation in mentality or behavior whatsoever.

I went to see my doctor last week and told her that it didn't seem to be working so she suggested I try 20 mg, which I did for the first time today (actually about an hour ago). While I do feel a little more jittery, the motivation I had been looking to feel so I could focus on my work has failed to materialize. I know that a lot of people test out different brands to see which work for them, but I won't have time to do this because I'm leaving the country to study abroad for 4 months, during which my doctor has told me not to take whatever pills I have left since she won't be able to monitor my performance. So I guess I'll just have to wait until December to see if anything else will work, but just curious if any other members have experienced this ZERO change in themselves after taking their prescribed medication? Do I need to up my dosage to 30? Or test other brands? What's wrong with me?! Thanks in advance for any replies and help you can give!
Old 08-17-09, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

MADD_MEN will become famous soon enough
Re: Recently diagnosed but meds don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by polandspring View Post
Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this site and I've already found heaps of useful information so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my experience with medication so far.

I'm 20 years old and was recently diagnosed with ADD about 2 weeks ago. I've been prescribed Adderall ER 10 mg to take daily and after all the success stories I read here, I was really hoping that the Adderall would bring about a clear, focused state of mind when I was working on my summer assignments. To my disappointment, the meds seemed to not be having any effect on me whatsoever; the first day, I actually felt a little groggy/tired and slurred my speech a little. The second day, I still had that fuzzy feeling but everything else was fine and everytime I've taken it since then, I feel no transformation in mentality or behavior whatsoever.

I went to see my doctor last week and told her that it didn't seem to be working so she suggested I try 20 mg, which I did for the first time today (actually about an hour ago). While I do feel a little more jittery, the motivation I had been looking to feel so I could focus on my work has failed to materialize. I know that a lot of people test out different brands to see which work for them, but I won't have time to do this because I'm leaving the country to study abroad for 4 months, during which my doctor has told me not to take whatever pills I have left since she won't be able to monitor my performance. So I guess I'll just have to wait until December to see if anything else will work, but just curious if any other members have experienced this ZERO change in themselves after taking their prescribed medication? Do I need to up my dosage to 30? Or test other brands? What's wrong with me?! Thanks in advance for any replies and help you can give!

I had a very similar experience with Adderall. For me it was miserable. I've also tried Ritalin which helped a bit, but eventually settled on Focalin / Wellbutrion, and the combo works great.

Unfortunately, you have to test out different combos. Everyone is different, but eventually you should find something that works.
Old 08-17-09, 05:05 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

You don't need meds as treatment, others are available. I'm not on any meds, Personally I don't like them, up to you.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 07:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Some people need meds; others don't.

I'd read "Driven to Distration" and "Delivered from Distraction" by Edward Hallowell. Great books covering all aspects of ADHD/ADD, including coping strategies that include meds and don't include meds.
Old 08-17-09, 10:00 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by polandspring View Post
While I do feel a little more jittery, the motivation I had been looking to feel so I could focus on my work has failed to materialize.

Unfortunately, motivation isn't what adderall improves. It will only improve your ability to focus on what it is you're motivated to do.

After my first 2 weeks of taking Ritalin, I complained to my doctor that it didn't seem to be working, because my house was still a mess, and my dishes were still dirty and piled everywhere, along with many other things. He said "The ritalin won't make you want to do your dishes, it will just help you focus on getting them done once you start." He was absolutely right.

I ended up with Adderall being the best choice for me. The nice thing I've noticed is that I DO feel more motivation to do chores and things now, knowing that it won't be such a struggle. Before medication, having to clean sounded like such a horrible tortuous chore. It's not anymore fun now, but I can approach it more easily knowing that it won't be as bad as it used to be. Does that make sense? The increased motivation may just be something that happens later. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 08-17-09, 10:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

DesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really nice

I've been trying different things for over a year now. Stimulants did the same thing with me that you're experiencing.

I know us ADHDers aren't a real patient lot and it's not easy. But there are no short-cuts.
---! I need to update this. I'll put that on the list

No, I don't proofread my postings. I type, I click submit. Then cringe if I go back & read it later.
Old 08-17-09, 10:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
"The ritalin won't make you want to do your dishes, it will just help you focus on getting them done once you start."
That's a great piece of insight!
Old 08-22-09, 12:44 PM

polandspring is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great insight everyone! And that "motivation to finish doing the dishes, not to start them" was very accurate and nicely stated- I think I've been waiting for the meds to start being some miracle cure and somehow force my body to start working on its own. But I realize it's half about my own mindset in approaching the task as well.. I'll also be trying out different meds when I come back in the winter. Thanks again!!
Old 08-22-09, 02:08 PM

MsProcrastinate will become famous soon enough

I'm newly diagnosed too and have switched medication once already. The medication I take now, adderall, has greatly improved my focus and clarity. It's going to take a long time for me to clean up my life. But, I have been reading a lot about ADD and there are many books that can help. They have certainly helped me. I also have workbooks to do. I've skimmed through them and believe they will be helpful.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to the bookstore and plan to stay awhile. Buy a book or two that may be useful for you (keep a list of others) and buy them. Find books that focus on how you can change and start trying to implement some changes. It may not be easy, but take babysteps if you have to... that's what I'm doing right now.

Upon your return, you can try some different medication combos that may help. By then, you will be armed with ways to manage your life and get the focus you need. Or, in a best case scenario, you may not need the meds. Either way, you will come out ahead. Have fun studying abroad.