ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

View Poll Results: Do you take Ritalin/MPH with or without food?
On an empty stomach (at least 30-60 min. before a meal). 9 50.00%
Along with a meal. 8 44.44%
After a meal (within 30-60 min after being finished with eating). 4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-11, 05:02 AM

girly33 is on a distinguished road
Do you take methylphenidate/Ritalin on an empty stomach or with food?

I would like to know because I'm new on this.

My GP told me I should take it w/food if I have problems with my stomach. I used it a few times now (10mgs Ritalin, non-retard), 3 times a day. Somehow it feels less effective when I take it with or 30-45 minutes after breakfast/lunch/other meals.

What works best for you guys?
Old 04-03-11, 10:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of
Re: Do you take methylphenidate/Ritalin on an empty stomach or with food?

Well I do believe it's supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. (On my bottle there is a sticker that says to take it 30 mins before eating)

I won't choose one of the options because my eating varies daily. Sometimes I take the Ritalin and won't have any breakfast at all, I'm not usually a breakfast eater.

However, If I do eat breakfast I take the Ritalin right along with my brekkie (well on school days anyways.) Days off school when I do take my meds I usually take it, then wait around till I get hungry (about 10:00 am) and eat myself some breakfast.

Second dose is usually after lunch however. About 10-15 mins after I am done eating.

Personally I haven't noticed any difference in effectiveness with/without food. Then again I haven't really been looking....hmmm.

But back to my original statement, I do believe it's supposed to be taken before meals. Just don't quote me on that.

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French and has ADHD? This moi.
Old 04-03-11, 10:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I take Ritalin with meals.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-11, 12:01 AM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Empty stomach.

Phaedrus

Old 04-05-11, 10:30 AM
Jr Member

DrBlur is on a distinguished road

I've found it's not as effective if I take it with food or right before/after eating, so I time it such that I take the first dose an hour after breakfast (right when work starts) and the next dose at 11am, an hour before lunch. Works great.
Old 04-05-11, 10:54 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 8,432 Times in 3,785 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

I have not heard that it is "supposed" to be taken either with or without food.

Usually, I try to take it first thing in the morning and eat breakfast shortly afterward. Since it suppresses my appetite some, if I don't eat right away, I may not want to eat later, and I'm a believer in the "breakfast is important" idea.

Sometimes, though, I will take it before I wake up -- I mean, before I *really* wake up, like if I get up to go to the bathroom an hour before my alarm goes off, or even when my alarm goes off, if I then have the luxury of snoozing for a while. That way I can "hit the ground running" when I actually am ready to face the day, or rather, it helps me become ready to face the day... And if I'm not so hungry for breakfast, so be it.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mantras (02-23-12)
Old 04-05-11, 11:51 PM

Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I have not heard that it is "supposed" to be taken either with or without food.
I'm glad you asked.
From Novartis:

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Adults
Tablets: Administer in divided doses 2 or 3 times daily, preferably 30 to 45 minutes before meals.

Children (6 years and over)
Tablets: Start with 5 mg twice daily (before breakfast and lunch) with gradual increments of 5 to 10 mg
weekly.

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-06-11)
Old 04-05-11, 11:56 PM

Just as a side note: I have been taking regular release Ritalin for 15 years. I usually take it on an empty stomach. The other day, I had a later than usual lunch, but still needed to take my dose of Ritalin so I took it right after lunch. I got indigestion. I never get indigestion. I will have to try this again to see if it wasn't just a coincidence.

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
girly33 (04-06-11)