ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 04-05-11, 03:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdwptsd has a spectacular aura aboutadhdwptsd has a spectacular aura about
Best meds for EFD. my ADD/ADHD DX sub type 95% inattentive

Hello all,

My ADD/ADHD subtype is inattentiveness. 95% of my disorder is that of EFD. My question is this. Is there a specific med that offers better relief for my specific type of disorder. Since some of the meds that are out there effect the brain differently might one of them (either specific med or class of meds) be better for hyperactivity and one better for inatentivenes EFD symptoms such as mine? EFD=executive function disorder
Old 04-05-11, 11:15 AM

corbykins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best meds for EFD. my ADD/ADHD DX sub type 95% inattentive

trial and error what works for one person might not work for another
Old 04-05-11, 01:23 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

bof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nice

Agreed, you have to go through trial and error. I read a lot of scientific research, and I wish I remembered where one study was, but the conclusion through brain scans of resting and active minds was that methlyphenidate showed signs of working efficiently for 90% of combined and hyperactive types, but only 30% were considered effectively functioning on it for inattentives. The inattentives processing was much more effective on amphetamines, as this works more of the prefrontal cortex. The area that inattentives have major issues with - this is the main action taking, executive functioning, and working memory area. In fact, when given a mental problem to solve, sleep wave signals are sent out in the prefrontal cortex for inattentive types. Inattention can get better through cognitive training of working memory as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to bof00 For This Useful Post:
aystro (05-03-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-11, 04:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

ccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the rough

I haven't been able to find a connection yet. I had the same question you did. It appears from this forum and others I've read that there's not a huge connection. It seems to be more about what works for a person or doesn't. One person w/primarily hyperactivity and another person that's innatentive might both do well on the same exact med, or both may not. I have read that sometimes innatentive types do better on lower doses than hyperactives or combined types, but at this point that's subjective based on user reviews and not anything I've read in a peer-reviewed journal. Would be a great question to ask next time I see my pdoc, do see what she's observed in her practice.
Old 05-02-11, 09:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdwptsd has a spectacular aura aboutadhdwptsd has a spectacular aura about

It is interesting and fascinating what stuff is coming out about ADHD.. I will say only for me..It is difficult to grasp it all..Because of my adhd and ptsd... being able to absorb, remember and organize all of the stuff is difficult. I am hopeful that after my surgery the low dose medication approach is part I DID SAY part of my solution.. Hopefully the base to which I can build upon...

If anyone here gets any further information re EFD and cares to share that would be most appreciative...