ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 04-05-11, 11:41 AM
Jr Member

Kriminal is on a distinguished road
Focalin Vs Vyvanse

Is there anyone here who has taken them both. I would like to hear some pros and cons and anybody's personal experience after taking both these medications.
Old 04-05-11, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

ccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the rough
Re: Focalin Vs Vyvanse

You may also want to post this question on the Vynase board, as there are probably more people that have taken that than the Focalin. Or even another board, like the treatment one. That helped me.
Old 04-09-11, 09:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

happierin09 has disabled reputation

I'm currently on Focalin XR, but only for about 2 weeks so far. I was taking Vyvanse 50 mg daily. I had no real negative side effects on Vyvanse. It wasn't that it was bad, but it seemed to me my focus and attention was worse on it. I did have more energy, and in some cases more motivation, just no focus whatsoever, so I was switched to Focalin XR, starting at 10 mg. My focus seems to be about the same, but I've had a lot going on in my life lately, and I don't know if that has played into things too. I do have pretty much the same energy on Focalin as on Vyvanse. No real side effects that I've noticed, except maybe some increased anxiety, but again, that may be more to do with life situation (and hormones) than the medication. Sorry I can't be of more help, it's just too soon I think to really have a good grasp on Focalin yet. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-11, 12:49 AM

venushakti is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Focalin Vs Vyvanse

I was on 70mg Adderall for a while, with almost no effect. Then I switched to Ritalin, which was great but wore off too fast and I'd either forget to take it during the day or take it too often without realizing it. Ritalin XR was a joke for me, and I read a bunch that said that ritalin doesn't work so hot when in extended prep's. Daytrana was fine... as long as I taped it down and used two patches a day. Focalin was a life saver. Since it's basically just the stronger half of ritalin, it worked great. I have a very high resistance to ALL medications, so we worked up to 40mg ER in the morning and 20mg FA in the afternoon. It worked awesome for a long time...
Until I started having problems with forgetfulness (mostly due to other cognitive impairments and dissociative disorders) and was finding evidence that the meds were being taken at the wrong doses because I had too many pills to manage...

Started Vyvanse 20mg today in morn and again in afternoon. Not as effective as Focalin, but we're starting at a low-ish dose in comparison to my prior Focalin regimen. I'll let y'all know how the switch goes. I like that V. doesn't have the spike "rush" feeling which reminds me uncomfortably of my rebellious teen years and my misbehavior then.

Plus it seems to last a LOT longer focalin ER usually lasts about 4-6 hours, FA about 2-3 hours. So far today the first dose was weak but seemed to carry through the small help with focus for at least 6 hours till time for my afternoon dose.

Pax et lux,
Venus
Old 04-18-11, 03:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Adderall really doesn't do alot for me either. Concerta was okay and then just seemed to not really be that helpful. I think I understand what you mean when you say that ritalin long acting meds are not that useful. Ritalin is a in and out quick release effective medication when used in the ir form, without the punch ritalin doesn't really help , thats my outlook on it. I think focalin xr is alright but like I've said before it it's not at the peak level where it needs to be then focalin like ritalin will not work all that well. ??? I haven't really tried vyvanse that long, but if it's like adderall then it won't really benefit me that much. I know that ir ritalin is tough when taking it just because of the up and down spikes, but on that I have noticed that ritalin seems more effective when used in the ir formulation. It's like it doesn't really work in the xr formulations at all. Not really sure what I'm going to do but I guess I will just get used to the ups and downs of the ir forms and just go back to that. I just haven't gotten the results otherwise.
Old 05-13-11, 11:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

BalanceisKey is on a distinguished road

i just switched to focalin. The first thing i notice is more energy on vyvanse but vyvanse made me annoyingly jittery and wasnt a big help sitting through class

focalin is better for sitting through class and doesnt give me all the annoying anxiety vyvanse gave me.

Vyvanse made me crave cigarettes and focalin doesnt.

Vyvanse gave me low blood sugar....focalin doesn't. Theres times when i dont want the med lingering around in my body for the entire day so focalin is better then vyvanse here as well.

vyvanse is better for thinking outside the box and creativity.

focalin gives headaches sumtimes vyvanse doesnt

Focalin worked well for a speech i gave recently with no notes.....memory and a low level of anxiety/ was able to keep eye contact. Vyvanse always made me nervous during speeches

vyvanse wasnt to good for keeping eye contact or for attention span- focalin is

vyvanse lasts longer than focalin xr

thats all so far im new to focalin ill keep you updated if you want
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BalanceisKey For This Useful Post:
happierin09 (05-14-11), SonicHedgehog (09-07-12), SuperBee (06-12-12)
Old 05-14-11, 09:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

As an update, I've now been on Focalin XR for about 6 weeks. I was increased to 20 mg every morning about 2-1/2 weeks ago. My focus is still not where I would like it to be, and some days is just all over the place, but the past couple of months have been ridiculous with my kids' activities having me run in all different directions, trying to get in my work and keep up with that, some changes with my work, and my husband being gone for a good chunk of the time. I think this year he's been gone somewhere around 8-10 weeks, so that's added to things for sure. My pdoc added an IR boost a few weeks ago for the afternoons. My work day starts really early, and I was hitting a wall at about 2-3 pm, and the IR boost helps with that a bit to get me through the evenings without having to stop and take a nap and then ruining my sleep for the night. I'm less jittery than I was with Vyvanse, but I did like the way Vyvanse had a more gradual wearing off than the Focalin does for me, but I'll trade that for the slightly better focus. I have to check in with my pdoc this week so we'll see what, if any, changes she makes this time around. If I stay on the Focalin, I'm going to request she fill out a form for my insurance to lower the cost, hopefully anyway!

Old 08-03-11, 12:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

Binwooke is on a distinguished road

I have been on Vyvanse, just about to switch to Focalin XR. Although I had recently found a mental nirvana with the assorted medications I was taking, the physical side effects were taking their toll. So, my psychiatrist is taking me off Intuniv and Vyvanse, and replacing it with Focalin XR instead. Lets hope this is the lost med hop for a while.

Medications:
Focalin XR 40mg & 20mg afternoon booster- ADHD
Prozac - GAD, SAD & PTSD
Deplin
Old 08-17-11, 04:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

jennsation will become famous soon enough

Vyvanse was a nightmare for me. I was on three different doses and found the negative side effects outweighed what little benefit it had. On Vyvanse I was getting daily headaches, a lot of stomach discomfort, and a very bad crash in the early afternoon that caused fatigue into the evening. Terrible.

Focalin started out as ineffective for me (XR, 5 and then 10mg). Doc upped the dosage to 20mg and it was like I lived in a new world…my work and home life have changed dramatically (for the better) due to the dosage increase. Other than a decreased appetite and a little bit of shakiness right when it kicked in, I have had nothing but good things to say about it thus far. (Although, oddly, since I just started my newest bottle a couple days ago I’ve had a dramatic increase in side effects…dry mouth so terrible I am having trouble speaking at work. Shakiness. Body soreness. Just strange…but I see the doc Friday anyway, so hopefully he has some thoughts and HOPEFULLY I will not have to find yet another new solution…)
Old 08-24-11, 03:57 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

lately I've come to the realization that my biggest problem seems to be the quick drop that ritalin gives. It works for two hours at its peak and has a nasty little drop off that makes me feel like deaths sisters brother. Not interested. Wondering if adderally has a better side effect profile?
Old 08-24-11, 06:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

Focalin helped my focus a little, but the increase in anxiety wasn't worth it. Giving Adderall as shot now in IR form, where I'm taking 2-3 pills/day. Still not where I'd like to be with focus, but the anxiety is way, way less now and I'm making some other adjustments to try and help with the focus. I don't really notice any drop off with Adderall. My focus with Vyvanse was worse than this. I think I just don't do well with the longer acting options.

Old 08-24-11, 10:21 PM

Do most people seem to feel adderall works better than focalin?
Old 06-12-12, 05:37 AM

SuperBee is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse to Focalin, To Switch or not to Switch?

Hello! New member here, but I have visited this site for a couple years now seeking advice and/or anonymous camaraderie in my struggle with ADD-- so firstly, I'd like to thank everyone. I joined because I'm currently having a crisis of sorts! and I need some advice, so here's the short backstory to the real issue:

Years ago I used to self medicate with other stimulant-like substances, but now thank God for Vyvanse, which I started taking at the lowest dose, then quickly ramped up to the highest: I have been taking a steady 70 mg Vyvanse daily for about five or six years now, since I was 20 or 21. I'm almost 27 now and happily married with all my transgressions behind me, partly by really trying to work on always bettering myself, but also thanks to my beloved Vyvanse. Seriously, this stuff turned my life around for the better. However, suddenly (for the past few months) I am feeling overwhelmed again, like all the puzzle pieces have been scattered around even worse than they ever were, my sex drive has plummeted (sorry husband- another cranky headache!) and when I don't take it, I'm UTTERLY USELESS for several days. I admit, depression and OCD runs in my family, so I'm sure I have some depressive, and possibly OCD tendancies, but I have been feeling drained and depressed lately by my absolute need for this drug, my old friend, Vyvanse, which has been betraying me a little bit lately. It's like I can't live with it or without it.

I'm seeing my doc this week and want to tell him, but I really dont want him to take it away. I'm thinking I want to lower the dose, or possibly switch to Focalin. From what I have read and understand, Focalin may not have the anxiety, sweats, and heart rate thing that I have recently been feeling from my Vyvanse, but it may have more depressive side effects?

Please Help! and thank you!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperBee For This Useful Post:
SonicHedgehog (09-07-12)