ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-11, 06:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road
Re: Last resort medication treatments for depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_worlds View Post
I'm on cymbalta and it's been pretty good to me. Getting on it is a 2-3 week trip to hell, but once adjusted, I'm really glad I hung in there.

It's an SNRI like effexor, so maybe not right for you...have you tried any MAOIs? old school, and you have to be really careful about drug interactions. They tend to be used as a last resort, and the few people I know that had to use them had amazing results.
I've heard of cymbalta, but I think if effexor isn't working to it's fullest than whats to say cymbalta would? I am considering MAOI's, although I'm pretty sure you can't take stimulants due to the chances of high blood pressure getting to high levels.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I didn't take my Adderall today, nor will I for the next 3 days. I need my energy back, I think the Adderall is just draining me - controlling the behavioral aspect of ADHD rather than the cognitive aspect..

Maybe a Drug Holiday would be in order. I took 25mgs yesterday (* above my daily 10*) to see if I had built a tolerance... Nope... Felt worse. No energy / wanted to sleep.

I see the doctor on the 28th. If he doesn't raise the Effexor to 225mgs (* I've read that this is a good dose *) then I'm going to get off of this junk as I really don't notice a significant improvement in happiness, will to live, life goals, sensory perception (* smell, taste, hearing *), and in the process probably go back to ritalin - even though it made me feel robotic, just to get the mental clarity back.
Old 04-26-11, 10:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Just a little update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatality View Post
I've heard of cymbalta, but I think if effexor isn't working to it's fullest than whats to say cymbalta would? I am considering MAOI's, although I'm pretty sure you can't take stimulants due to the chances of high blood pressure getting to high levels.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I didn't take my Adderall today, nor will I for the next 3 days. I need my energy back, I think the Adderall is just draining me - controlling the behavioral aspect of ADHD rather than the cognitive aspect..

Maybe a Drug Holiday would be in order. I took 25mgs yesterday (* above my daily 10*) to see if I had built a tolerance... Nope... Felt worse. No energy / wanted to sleep.

I see the doctor on the 28th. If he doesn't raise the Effexor to 225mgs (* I've read that this is a good dose *) then I'm going to get off of this junk as I really don't notice a significant improvement in happiness, will to live, life goals, sensory perception (* smell, taste, hearing *), and in the process probably go back to ritalin - even though it made me feel robotic, just to get the mental clarity back.
I upped my dose to 300mg last night, but the doctor I saw today perscribed me 200mg. 50 more than the 150mg my previous doc perscribed. I'm hoping this will be the amount that will work - cause Effexor over 225mg is not recommended by the FDA and my pdoc is a little worried about going over that.

Based off what I told her, she says the anti-depressant is working, despite my doubtfulness.. She says the ability to actually feel emotions now, is a clear sign that they are working - and to give it more time. So... who knows... Maybe in 2-3 weeks I'll be ecstatic and happy.. lol.
Old 05-11-11, 07:37 PM
Jr Member

DaneV is on a distinguished road

Hmm i`m at a point i will try anything to get me out of this depression (including counseling ofcourse).

I`m currently on fluoxetine, which is not working yet (wk3) but i really hope it will kick in soon. If that doesn`t work i`m willing to try any other medication there is. Maybe first another SSRI, then an SNRI or a TCA or even an AP (which would be my absolute last choice). I know these meds aren`t good for your health, but i also know this depression and anxiety will eventually be fatal if you know what i mean...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-11, 07:47 PM

Kara593 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Wellbutrin has been wonderful for me. I may as well be on it for the rest of my life. Like bluerose said above me, counseling may help get to the root of the problem.
I completely agree! I recently changed from Wellbutrin from Prozac (the teeth grinding was horrible). This medication works so great. There are no side effects (for me anyway). I would recommend it highly. In combination with Adderall it is very hard to zone out!

40mg Adderall
2mg Klonopin
Old 05-12-11, 12:53 AM
Contributor

x6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of light

Have you tried Electro Convulsive therapy?

It really isn't as dangerous as the dark ages of Psychiatry made it look, and it is most likely safer than a powerful mix of anti-psychotics.

My psych mentioned treating a patient in a similar situation to you, this patient went for the ECT and was free from depression for nearly *10 years*.

As usual: I am not a doctor so don't take my post for its word.
  • 40mg Adderall XR (AM)
  • 30mg Adderall IR (PM)
"Change the world or go home" - Microsoft employee slogan
The Following User Says Thank You to x6eze For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (02-03-12)
Old 05-12-11, 01:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

How about a low dose of Medical Marijuana?

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304996,00.html

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 05-24-11, 03:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Illiterati has a spectacular aura aboutIlliterati has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post

I've just started using medical marijuana to try to deal with my depression. I talked with my psychiatrist about it, and he said that it was okay, as long as I didn't spend my day smoking it. He's not "brave" enough to go "recommendation" route, so I went to a MM clinic last week and got my card (California is the only state, I believe, where it is okay to recommend MM for depression).

Long ago, a friend who uses MM for migraines (hasn't had one in two years now), had recommended I look into it for that as well. I must say that it does seem to help deal with those, too.
Dx'd Clinical Depression, ADD, Fibromyalgia & Migraine
Rx'd Nortriptyline & Ritalin
Old 05-24-11, 09:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

You changed from wellbutrin to Prozac ? Or Prozac to wellbutrin?
Old 05-25-11, 12:25 PM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about

I will PM you some articles about how to cope with treatment resistant depression- different strategies. Usually, SSRIs are not strong enough. But there are tons of different things to try.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scarletta For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (02-03-12)
Old 05-29-11, 12:55 AM
Contributor

pittguy578 is on a distinguished road

I am suffering from serious depression. It all started late last year when work became a hell hole. I had to take three months off from work December -March. I went back to work only because I had to-not because I was better. I am still getting depressed and having mood swings. The people at my disability insurance thought I was going to be a long term case-still may end up there.

Wellbutrin worked a couple of years ago-it has ceased working. My doctor tried Pristiq/Effextor, but the GI symptoms were so horrible-I literally wanted to throw up for most of the day..and that was after being on them for two weeks.

I recently started Adderrall for my ADHD symptoms-I have noticed a mood boost. I am only on 15 MG XR per day..going to see if it can be boosted..

I have tried all of the other non- medication steps i.e. therapy, exercise, nutrition..etc-nothing else worked.
Old 05-29-11, 12:57 AM
Contributor

pittguy578 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara593 View Post
I completely agree! I recently changed from Wellbutrin from Prozac (the teeth grinding was horrible). This medication works so great. There are no side effects (for me anyway). I would recommend it highly. In combination with Adderall it is very hard to zone out!
Prozac sort of worked for a bit for me..but then I started to get sexual side effects, and I was worried about my relationship I wish there was some way for a guy to counter act those. I thought it was helping
Old 05-29-11, 01:41 AM
Contributor

la girl is a jewel in the roughla girl is a jewel in the roughla girl is a jewel in the rough

I have been on every anti-depressant they have every made...right now, I take zoloft 100 mg, with abilify...I have no idea if it is working or not, I have felt worse, so I guess it's working a little...better than the others that had so many side affects and work for a little while, and then nothing.
Old 06-25-11, 05:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post

That's about the only thing that has worked. I can only use low doses 0.03-0.05 grams per 6-8 hours. I've decided to use it in food, rather than smoke it - as smoking hits me harder and can cause anxiety depending on the amount of thc.

As far as ECT is concerned... Hell no. One I have a phobia to needles, and the needles they use to deliever the anestethic would freak me out, and, I saw a youtube video depicted in the early 90's. They deliever enough current to put the person into a seizure. No... I have had enough problems with seizures in the past.

I'm off the Effexor. Never going back on anti-depressants. It's been almost 2 months and I haven't got my normal sex drive back. I last longer, but, the feeling is almost gone. This never happened untill I went on that crap.

The only thing I'm doing for the depression is trying to improve my life, getting a better job, going back to school, etc.. I'd like to medicate with marijuana on a daily basis or when I need to study for my classes, but, I can't afford it right now.

I hope you all find relief through the anti-depressants. I wished they could have worked for me. I was at 350mg of Effexor, which is 150mg above the FDA requirement - didn't work. Tried celexa, prozac, zoloft, trazadone, wellbutrin.
Old 06-27-11, 09:59 AM

Francophilex is on a distinguished road

I'm also on Cymbalta. I started it when I was a total wreck and had a breakdown because of my terrible old job. My doctor was so worried about getting me out of the major depressive state that she gave me 60mg of Cymbalta instead of increasing it gradually. The first week or two, it gave me so much anxiety. My heart was racing, and I thought I was going to go crazy. I would just walk around the block in circles crying on the phone with family until finally the side effects lessened. However, unlike other antidepressants, the Cymbalta works really fast. Other people at work who had similar breakdowns (yes, this place was POISON), would be out 10 to 12 week getting their meds stabilized, but I only missed 3. I kinda wish I had been able to take 12, unpaid or not! I'm still on it, and though I take a beta blocker to counter some of the side effects like increased heart rate and BP, it has worked great ever since.
Old 06-27-11, 07:45 PM
Contributor

PickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to all

A last-ditch treatment? There is research being done right now on increasing a chemical in your brain called Brain Derived Neurotrophin Factor (BDNF). This has an amazing anti-depressant effect, very quickly.

They have achieved rather amazing results by dosing the patient with an NMDA antagonist. Typically this is done with a dissociative anesthetic like Ketamine.

There are other ways to achieve results along the same line as that. It is believed that most antidepressant meds give the same effect, but over an extremely long period of time. Exercise raises BDNF levels.

I'll list the rest here.
Caloric restriction (and intermittent fasting),
Intellectual stimulation,
curcumin (in some spices, but evidence is limited for this one),
Electroconvulsive Therapy,
Sleep deprivation.

Magnesium is an NMDA antagonist as well as having many other bodily roles. You could try that as well.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.”

“I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely”

"If we are going to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"The saxophones...are not expected...to behave like demented cats... "
Ralph Vaughan Williams, notes to his Symphony No.9 in E minor

The Following User Says Thank You to PickMeUpRoadie For This Useful Post:
fatality (07-16-11)