ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-10-11, 02:36 AM

timtation is on a distinguished road
Could I be suffering from ADD-PI? Please read my story and share your thoughts.

Could I be suffering from ADD-PI? Please read my story and share your thoughts.

First of all, I would like to make it very clear that I understand that when it comes to this type of diagnosis, nothing is more important than consulting with an experienced physician. I am in the process of doing that. I would simply like to share my story (I'll try to keep it brief) and receive some feedback from others who have actually been diagnosed with this illness. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm 29 years old, and only recently did it ever even occur to me that I might have ADD. I always thought of that as something that "other people" could have, but not me. I mean, it's not as if I'm bouncing off the walls like some obnoxious 10 year-old... Far from it.

So let me share with you why I'm here, and why I feel that I might have ADD-PI (Primary Innatentive)...

First of all, I have extreme difficulty in honing in on conversations. I could be engaged in a one-on-one conversation with someone, realize that the subject matter is important and that I really need to pay attention, but often... It's just incredibly hard. Five seconds into the conversation, I'm thinking about something else. It's not that I don't care.... It's just that I have so many other thoughts running through my head.

You know sometimes people say that they're "not good with names?" Well, when I say that, what I really mean is that I just don't do names. If I'm meeting you for the first time, you might as well not even tell me. Trust me, I want to know what you're name is, but I just can't seem to make it stick. 30 seconds into our first conversation, I'm thinking... "Damn, what did this person say their name was?"

I am not a hyper person now (not at all), but looking back at my childhood. I definitely was back then. My parents like to remind me of a conversation they once had with my 4th grade teacher in which they were told, "your son could easily be the valedictorian on his class, if he would just quit talking so much and listen."

I'm also reminded of the time when my newborn sister was first brought home from the hospital. I was 7 years old at the time. My parents say I was so excited I started running laps around the house and was pretty much bouncing off the walls. In retrospect, it's pretty amazing that they nevere at least had me checked out for ADD.

Back to present day... Often times, I find it very difficult to read an in-depth book at any real speed. I often need to read paragraphs multiple times before I can truly grasp their meaning. My wife is capable of flying through books at an incredible pace, and I am amazed at how she does it.

I can also recall at least two occassions on which I was told by friends that they thought I had a listening problem. In one instance, the person told me he thought I might be crazy... We would have a conversation, he would tell me something, and then minutes later I would ask him a question as if he had never shared that information with me before, which he had only moments earlier.

I would like to mention at this point that I consider myself to be pretty intelligent. I have never had any difficulties in school, but I did mostly just "coast along" in grade school and college without putting forth a whole lot of effort. I do think that perhaps I could have seriously excelled if I had been aware of this possible problem sooner.

Speaking of effort, that's another thing... Very frequently, I find it difficult to summon the motivation to start a task, complete a project, or give it the in-depth attention that it deserves. I do not know how this relates to ADD, but I believe I had read somewhere that this is often seen with ADD individuals.

I have also recently come to realize that many people view *me as being a little "scatter brained" for various reasons.

Finally, I have suffered from what I would describe as mild depression and social anxiety fairly frequently. I have also read that this is frequently seen with ADD individuals.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I would very much like to hear the thoughts of others on this forum who do suffer from this illness. Am I crazy? Could I possibly have ADD-PI?

One final thing... I have very recently started discussing these issues with a psychiatrist. I was recently (two days ago) given a prescription for 10MG Adderall XR. I don't want to exaggerate here, but let me tell you... It is absolutely incredible. I took it at 8:00 AM, and I was seriously "in the zone" for the better part of the day. I could easily concentrate on any task, at will. I really did feel like I was capable of doing anything that I wanted to do, with ease. And not only that, but I also had the motivation to do it. It was as if a fog had been lifted.

The last thing in the world I want to be is someone who abuses a prescription drug but doesn't really need it.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-11, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

HiddenHermit has a spectacular aura aboutHiddenHermit has a spectacular aura about
Re: Could I be suffering from ADD-PI? Please read my story and share your thoughts.

Ugh, I couldn't read it all...
Quote:
The last thing in the world I want to be is someone who abuses a prescription drug but doesn't really need it.
I feel the same way...but unfortunately people are people. I don't care if people take those drugs, believe me. But lying to get them is where I draw the line. One idiot, destroys it for those who need them. Good thing you feel that way.

And yea, the Adderall is pretty amazing, none by experience. But by what others tell me the "zone" is like a wonderland for those with AD/HD. I could only imagine...

Dx: AD/HD Combined (ADHD + Mania)
Meds: 100mg Trileptal + Adderall 10mg IR + Xanax 0.25mg
Old 04-10-11, 01:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Could I be suffering from ADD-PI? Please read my story and share your thoughts.

There's no question that the information you shared sounds an awful lot like ADD, but I can't vouch for the PI. You might want to check some of the threads in the Inattentive section to get some more information. As adults, just because we're no longer acting classically "hyperactive," it doesn't mean we don't have any H symptoms at all.

I may be wrong, but I think a few of the Inattentive members here have had less success with stimulants than those of us who are Hyper or Combined, but if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

The diagnosis of what type you are is more relevant to the behavioral and lifestyle changes will be most beneficial to you, and which ones you'll be more likely to attain. Medications are based much more on individual response, and sometimes you have to go through a few before hitting on the right one. If the first one you try is the one that works for you, count your blessings. And if it works for you and you take it for its intended purpose, you are in no way an abuser.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
timtation (04-10-11)
Sponsored Links