ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-11, 09:54 PM
Jr Member

theloop345 is on a distinguished road
Red face It's all about me..Buddhist and ADHD? Really?

I have found that Buddhism has resonated with me my entire life- even though being brought up Christian, it's precepts have drawn me in time and time again. So as a professional in the field- previously diagnosed as a child- I could not deny that this Disorder had also ruled my Adult life as well. I was torn whether or not to seek out professional help- what would Buddha have said to me? I think he would have said "Be Yourself- Follow YOUR TRUTH." and right now- the way I cope with my life as an overworked therapist- overwhelmed by paperwork- scheduling- and sitting and listening to other's problems day in and day out has been to recently seek out the help of a psychiatrist in my practice. I am on 1mg of Klonipine 2x daily and currently 50 mg of Vyvanse. Life is better for me- worth living really- I am not my own worst enemy anymore- not fearful of what lies around the bend- and more able to accomplish things that used to baffle me. I was always a smart kid with a high IQ- never quite able to "make it" or "live up" to my potential. I am OK with that today. I no longer seek out the approval of others but seek out peace in my daily life. "Whatever it takes." is my mantra. This is MY path- and from what I am seeing now OUR path- and that provides me with some real sense of belonging and comfort. Glad to have found you all!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to theloop345 For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-17-12), ginniebean (05-16-12), Ms.Maddbord (04-11-11), pooka (04-12-11), PookDo (05-16-12), sarek (05-17-12), Spacemaster (05-17-12), Unmanagable (05-17-12), zannie (04-12-11)
Old 04-11-11, 11:32 PM

Ms.Maddbord is on a distinguished road
Re: It's all about me..Buddhist and ADHD? Really?

Same to you! I am 35 and was diagnosed at 19-adhd-combined- i have tried everything,and went years w/ no medication(from a dr.)- to be treated by a dr. and take medicines prescribed for me rather than trying to "self-medicate" --i am all about harm reduction- i am better off on stimulants than not,whatever stigma goes w/ it,i don't care any more....i am a better person when medicated,I am sure Buddha would agree
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ms.Maddbord For This Useful Post:
theloop345 (04-12-11), Unmanagable (05-17-12), zannie (04-12-11)
Old 04-12-11, 01:36 AM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,457 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums! I love your attitude about everything...a lot of people come here troubled and depressed, looking for help, and that's fine because they'll get it here. But you seem to be just the opposite. It sound like you're in a good place right now, I'm happy for you. I also find Buddhism a fascinating religion, though I believe in different things on a day to day basis because I just haven't made my mind up regarding my spirituality.
The Following User Says Thank You to pooka For This Useful Post:
theloop345 (04-12-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-11, 01:45 AM
Jr Member

Ms. Maddbord and Pooka- how encouraging to hear from you both! You two also carry an energy of hope and positivity. I look forward to our future conversations and I assure you, as my life has shown time and time again- that I will come bearing the weight of the world- or the weight of other's world's as it were- seeking out you both for your wisdom and experience in the hope that sharing the load will make things a bit lighter for my own journey! Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to theloop345 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (05-17-12)
Old 04-12-11, 09:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,907 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute

theloop345 (04-13-11)
Old 04-12-11, 10:23 PM
Jr Member

Thanks Bluerose- I have already read so many of your posts! Blessings!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theloop345 For This Useful Post:
Bluerose (04-13-11), PookDo (05-16-12)
Old 05-16-12, 11:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

I just found this researching Buddhism and ADHD. How cool
Old 05-17-12, 12:28 AM

Thanked 6,213 Times in 3,056 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a practicing Buddhist (or practicing anything) but much of what I've learned Buddhist has really resonated with me as well. I'm trying to cultivate a more mindful outlook, and my past experiences with meditation have really helped me.
Do you belong to any particular organization/ Sangha?
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
PookDo (05-17-12)
Old 05-17-12, 03:40 AM

Gadfly is on a distinguished road

I have been practising Buddhism for the last year and a half and it, along with therapy, has greatly improved my life. I'd now like to develop it further and someday to do a 10 day retreat. I follow Theravada Buddhism and I practice Vipassana mediation every morning for an hour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gadfly For This Useful Post:
PookDo (05-17-12)
Old 05-17-12, 12:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I'm not a practicing Buddhist (or practicing anything) but much of what I've learned Buddhist has really resonated with me as well. I'm trying to cultivate a more mindful outlook, and my past experiences with meditation have really helped me.
Do you belong to any particular organization/ Sangha?
Me as well. I honestly never thought ADHD and Buddhism would go together but I was wrong.
Old 05-17-12, 02:39 PM

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,493 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to lean towards Taoism, as I am not religious, but I think the two share many of the same ideas. It really helped in speeding me along to the "acceptance" part of AD/HD.

For example, we should be like water, ready to flow around obstacles rather than force them. How often are we required to "flow" around our many obstacles? I am trying to stop blocking myself up every time I meet an obstacle, and just flow...
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-17-12)
Old 05-17-12, 03:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I got to thinking last night and I am curious if playing video games could be considered buddhist? You have to be in the moment while playing them. Of course depending on what time of game it is
Old 05-17-12, 04:19 PM

Thanked 6,213 Times in 3,056 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
I got to thinking last night and I am curious if playing video games could be considered buddhist? You have to be in the moment while playing them. Of course depending on what time of game it is
I know that Thich Nhat Hanh is really not into video games. There is a difference between being in the moment, and having awareness/ being mindful while in that moment. I read a really good interview about just this thing- how interpreting "mindfulness" is a little different for an ADD'er. We're "in the moment" all the time, right? The problem is, we lack awareness and mindfulness when in that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
Me as well. I honestly never thought ADHD and Buddhism would go together but I was wrong.
I used to think that only "good people" would make "good Buddhists", and that this somehow made me unqualified to be a Buddhist. Now I realize that it's the folks who are really struggling in life who need Buddhism the most.
Old 05-17-12, 04:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I know that Thich Nhat Hanh is really not into video games. There is a difference between being in the moment, and having awareness/ being mindful while in that moment. I read a really good interview about just this thing- how interpreting "mindfulness" is a little different for an ADD'er. We're "in the moment" all the time, right? The problem is, we lack awareness and mindfulness of that moment.
I feel like Buddhism is a direction I really need to go in. It just seems and feels right. I don't know how to explain it but because its a unique situation but with everything going on in my life for me its more about being the best person possible for my wife as her disability worsens. I feel like I am slowly losing my wife and there is nothing I can do about it except take care of and be as supportive as possible