ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-12-11, 07:45 PM

mixedDX will become famous soon enough
Question Adderall and Suboxone - managing meds for ADD & chronic pain

Hello.

I started Adderall about 2 months ago (IR - 15mg AM, 10mg later). I'm having trouble figuring out how to take it with Subutex*. I take 20-24mg of Subutex daily for chronic pain. It works great, but makes me tired. I have 8mg pills, was taking one 2.5-3 times/day, depending on pain. I've had to change when/how much Subutex I take since starting Adderall otherwise I'm just tired.

I now take 4mg Subutex about 3 hours before I wake for the day to offset sleepiness. The first Adderall dose works just fine except it only lasts about 3 hours, then I'm spacey. The 2nd Adderall doesn't seem to help very much. Before taking the 2nd Adderall I've taken 2-4mg Subutex. I believe it interferes w/the 2nd Adderall.

Any experience w/something similar? Esp Suboxone/Buprenorphine and ADD meds (for ADD treatment)? How did you manage both of them? Did you have to alter the Adderall dose because of the pain meds? Am I off in my thinking?

The Adderall has helped although I don't feel like I'm getting its full benefits for a day because it only seems like the first one works. A couple times I took the Adderall 3x/day. This actually worked better for some reason and I was able to take the pain meds. I don't always need it 3 times.

My doc is awesome. She said that I can try XR or combine IR and XR. I don't really understand the XR. This is the first ADD med for me. My dr. appt is in a few days. I want insight from others because maybe I'm missing something. Maybe Subutex lessens effect of Adderall. I don't know.

I just want to figure out how to take them together for optimum help, least pain.

Feedback or suggestions are welcome.

*Subutex - aka Buprenorphine or Suboxone. Subutex doesn't have Narcan.

I've searched quite a bit online, but I'm not looking for how to abuse them! I apologize if this is answered somewhere here. Yes, I'm new to the forum
Old 04-12-11, 07:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,577 Times in 7,826 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall and Suboxone - managing meds for ADD & chronic pain

I was suffering from chronic pain (daily migraine headache) a couple of years ago after a fall that broke my arm near the shoulder. I could not find a doctor who was willing to treat the pain. Our area was dealing with the trial of a doctor who was charged with several deaths from giving pain meds so no doctor would give them.

I finally went to the Chinese clinic and had several sessions of accupuncture, and the chronic pain went away. I still get migraines, but am so thankful not to be dealing with the chronic daily pain any longer.

So, I can't help with any insight on taking ADHD meds and pain meds, but wanted to put this out there so you might consider trying accupuncture or accupressure.

PS I don't take ADHD meds either (no health insurance). I take Omega 3 (fish oil) supplements, Vitamin B complex, and Vitamin D3. The fish oil doesn't work for everyone, but neither do stimulant meds.
Old 04-14-11, 02:30 PM

mixedDX will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall and Suboxone - managing meds for ADD & chronic pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I don't believe that

1) Pain dose is 0.2mg, not 20mg.
2) Suboxone lasts very long so you don't need to redose all the time.

In my opinion you're treating severe opioid addiction and not pain, I won't say names but you probably took very strong stuff for a very long time. Now here's the thing, suboxone will make you tired and Adderall won't reverse it. One effective way to restore Adderall full effects is to taper off Suboxone.

The most effective chemical to reverse drowsiness and sleepiness feeling of analgesics is caffeine. Combining caffeine with subutex and Adderall would likely restore some of your alertness. Talk to your doctor if it's safe to drink coffee or ingest caffeine pills.
Hm, nice reply.

Look, if you're going to call me a liar, I prefer you say it straight up, rather than use innuendo by "not saying" part of it.

1. Subutex/Suboxone is not prescribed the same for chronic pain as it is for treating Opioid addiction. Yes, it has a long half-life, making it effective for treating addiction and pain, but the treatment goals aren't the same, so it's not logical to think of the dose the same. Methadone is also used for chronic pain and addiction. I took Methadone 4 times per day for pain. It has a long half life as well, but it's not prescribed the same way for pain as addiction treatment

2. Subutex is used off label for chronic pain. I don't know where you get your .02mg pain dose. That's not even 1mg. The goal in chronic pain treatment is to stay ahead of the pain, not wait.

I'm not going to use caffeine. Throwing a bunch of caffeine on what I'm already taking will cause more problems, not help them. Caffeine is addictive, causes mood swings, headaches, heart problems, sleep disturbance, and all sorts of other problems, plus it's just not really good for your body. Caffeine is not an option.

It's very obvious that you missed the part where I said I have chronic pain. I'm waiting for a multilevel disc replacement in my neck, and that's just one thing. If I was taking it because I'm an addict then I'd have said that, but that's not why I'm on it.

I'm disappointed in your answer and your assumptions. This type of response, and attitude, just perpetuates the problem. I'm not sure what I expected by posting here, but it wasn't getting called a liar right away. I can get that kind of treatment elsewhere.

If I were you, I'd think twice before "not believing" someone, whatever your reasons. And the is just condescending.
The Following User Says Thank You to mixedDX For This Useful Post:
Blanched Dubois (05-25-13)
Sponsored Links