ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 04-14-11, 08:28 PM

crystalchaney1 is on a distinguished road
Question My 6 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Bipolar, Anxiety disorder, and PTSD

I am a mother of a 6 year old boy, who has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Anxiety disorder, and PTSD. He has been expelled from school his kindergarden year, and seems to be not getting any better. i have had him on Adderall, respidone, clonidine, Vyvanse, concerta, intuniv, and now Geodon. He has been hospitalized for his unsafe behavior. I have lost homes, my husband, and all my friends due top my childs medical condition. It hurts to say that but it is true. I am looking for some pointers and advice from other parents out there who deal with the same situations I do, if there is anyone!! Please, how do you deal with the stress so you do not let your child know you ARE stressed?
The Following User Says Thank You to crystalchaney1 For This Useful Post:
WhoaaaaaI'mADD (04-14-11)
Old 04-14-11, 08:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

WhoaaaaaI'mADD will become famous soon enough
Re: My 6 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Bipolar, Anxiety disorder, and P

I am not a parent, but I am simply posting to wish you the best of luck. Your son's difficulties truly put many of our issues into perspective, at least for me. It sounds like he has quite a long road ahead, as do you, and I hope this forum can provide you with people that can relate and help make it an easier journey, as many of them have for me.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhoaaaaaI'mADD For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (04-14-11)
Old 04-14-11, 08:51 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of
Re: My 6 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Bipolar, Anxiety disorder, and P

Can you tell us a little more about his background and difficulties? Who diagnosed him? Who are you working with for all these different medications? Do you get any breaks for yourself, any family or friends to help you out at all?

Welcome and (((hugs))). Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-11, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalchaney1 View Post
I am a mother of a 6 year old boy, who has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Anxiety disorder, and PTSD. He has been expelled from school his kindergarden year, and seems to be not getting any better. i have had him on Adderall, respidone, clonidine, Vyvanse, concerta, intuniv, and now Geodon. He has been hospitalized for his unsafe behavior. I have lost homes, my husband, and all my friends due top my childs medical condition. It hurts to say that but it is true. I am looking for some pointers and advice from other parents out there who deal with the same situations I do, if there is anyone!! Please, how do you deal with the stress so you do not let your child know you ARE stressed?
My nephew sounds like your son. He is add, they recently say bipolar and PTSD due his Mom being in a comma for 6 months. Hugs to you I know first hand it is not easy! Tell us about your son.

My SIL had to call the police and help lines twice because my 10 year old nephews violent temper. He has spent weeks in the hospital.
Old 04-18-11, 09:36 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Welcome crystal!

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I can somewhat relate in that my seven year old (in first grade) has been diagnosed with ADHD, GAD, MERLD and a tic disorder. It baffles me everyday how one little soul can have so much on his plate at a young age. Luckily, he is super sweet and doesn't have any behavioral issues (as of yet).

As for giving you advice on how not to let him know how stressed you are; that's a tough one! I struggle with that on a daily basis. I have anxiety and ADD as well, so it's hard for me to keep my emotions in check in front of my son. He's very intuitive and feeds off me, so the psychologist said to fake it to the max when I have to.

The advice you've received on having support and help is invaluable! You need someone to relieve you and lend an ear. My best friend has been a lifesaver to me during this process. Although my husband remains somewhat in denial, I do have him here to help everyday. If you don't have anyone, please try to find a therapist as soon as possible. The right support can make all the difference. Also, have you looked into support groups in your area?

Hang in there and know that you are NOT alone! (Big Hug)

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 04-18-11, 09:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 15,249 Times in 7,206 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Crystal. A lot of kids with ADHD also experience ODD, Anxiety and PTSD. When the right med is found, the ODD generally goes away. Maybe not completely, but it does get better.

My granddaughter has a dx of Atypical Autism with Anxiety. She's been taking Risperidone for about a year, and it's helped with the anger and meltdowns, but doesn't seem to have touched the anxiety. The doc finally added an anti-depressant and what a difference it's made! I didn't see any anti-depressant in your list of meds, so it might be worth asking your doctor about giving that a trial to help with the anxiety - which certainly causes a lot of frustration and anger.

Some of the best information I've read about being the parent of a kid with ADHD is right here on this forum in Dizfriz's Corner. Really good stuff!
Old 04-18-11, 10:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,560 Times in 2,135 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forums Crystal

How do I deal with stress so I don't let my children know I am stressed. Well, to be honest with you, I am not very good at hiding my stress from them. They know even when I think I have it covered up.

If I am acting in a stressed out way towards them, I will apologize and let them know that I am stressed - not what is stressing me- and then try and make the changes I need so that I am not reacting to them in a stressed way therefore, hopefully, letting them see that yes I get stressed BUT I make changes to deal with it in a postive manor so that they might learn from me and do the same when they are stressed.

I also lessen my stress by connecting with people - like my friends on the Forums, who understand what I am going through when I struggle and am stressed, and offer me support, encouragement and good advice that helps me to take a deep breath, and go on with what I am dealing with.

You are not alone, we are here listening, and reading, responding, and walking along the the road with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalchaney1 View Post

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Last edited by Turbochica; 04-18-11 at 10:16 AM..
Old 09-25-11, 01:59 PM

Slynnthompson is on a distinguished road

I completely understand what you are going through! My six year old daughter has been diagnosed ADHD, ODD, OCD, and we are watching her for Bi-Polar. My ex-husband in Bi-Polar and all three of his other children are ADHD, ODD, & Bi-Polar along with a couple of anxiety disorders, and Schizophrenia. Mental illness runs extensively through his side of the family. She will not cooperate for anything and every situation is a war in my house! She throws things, hurts people, refuses to do homework, wants to do nothing but what she wants to do! She has been on Concerta, Aderall XR, Ritalin, Vyvanse, Prozac, Lexapro, Vistaril, Intuniv, and none of the combinations seem to help. She is so nasty to everyone in the home and she literally treats my friends dogs better than any of us! We are seeing a counselor once a week, regular med reviews, changes, etc. and we are now being referred to a psychiatrist in northern MI because our local WMCMH completed a Psych consult to confirm her diagnosis and report back to her doctor. I am at a loss! She HATES me everday along with my other two children who are suffering greatly and now she can't seem to sit still with the meds long enough to complete her work in school. I understand and I pray for you!!!