ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-11, 02:55 PM

If Only is on a distinguished road
What was it like when you started meds?

I'm 48, and fearful about getting a diagnosis and starting meds, even though my life is almost completely falling apart. Divorce, bankruptcy, losing my business, all that's left are my kids. I'm fearful about the acknowledgement that I need medication to have a good life... for the rest of my life.

So, I'm looking for more experiences to give me some level of comfort. I've already found several that I've cut/pasted into a collection. What was it like when you started meds? How did your ability to focus, or remember things, or find your words, or complete tasks/projects change?

I'm on the fence, hoping to find the courage to initiate some action. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to If Only For This Useful Post:
Kasechka (04-16-11)
Old 04-15-11, 03:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,036 Times in 3,006 Posts
metzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant future
Re: What was it like when you started meds?

Honestly, my diagnosis was the best thing I have done in many, many years. It explained a lot and has helped a lot with how I function and my self-esteem.

I went through life for a long, long time thinking I was stupid, I wouldn't amount to anything meaningful and just plain being frustrated with how I was all the time. Once I got diagnosed and medicated (Adderall 2X daily) I found that it opened a whole new world. Not just in focus but in creativity, my ability to work and complete tasks rather then starting something and letting it go until I want to get to them.

I was also on the brink of divorce (it was my marriage councelor that recommended I get treated) and that's managed to turn around outside of minor problems here and there. I just feel better all around, I don't know how else I could put it.

You have the rest of your life in front of you, even if you need to take medications it isn't the end of the world. You'll be happier, find yourself someone to live out the rest of your life with and enjoy it.
I'm right below the horizon"

- Boss Of Me ~ TMBG
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to metzfanaz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-15-11), If Only (04-15-11), Kasechka (04-16-11), Pamplemousse (04-15-11)
Old 04-15-11, 09:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of

Well before meds...everything was heading downhill. I was failing classes, dropping out of them because I couldn't keep up. And there's a whole lot more but we'll just stick with- Everything Sucked...a lot.

I was prescribed Ritalin 10mg two to three times a day. It has changed a lot of things for the better. I'm doing extremely well academically because I can now stay focused and get my work done on time and handed in without losing it.

While on the meds my hyperactivity is very very minimal, however I do have some problems with impulsivity still. (I actually think my dose needs to be increased to 20mg...)

But when you step back and take a good long look at life with medication. You think, this could possibly be the best thing that ever happened to me. I may not be 100% "normal" but I'm doing a whole heck of a lot better than I was. It makes me really happy that I finally got treatment, and I'm only 17. It may be late to me, but it's actually very young compared to a lot of people on this forum. (not saying they are old) but many here haven't been diagnosed till mid-late adulthood. But I'm straying off topic here...

My focus? A lot better as previously stated

Remembering things? A LOT LOT BETTER!

Finding words? I still have some problems here, but I've become a lot better at expressing myself to people.

Completing tasks? I'm still working on this. Sometimes I have trouble with this because I do a lot of work after my meds have worn off.

But yeah, hopefully this helped a little bit!

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French and has ADHD? This moi.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pamplemousse For This Useful Post:
If Only (04-16-11), Kasechka (04-16-11), metzfanaz (04-16-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-11, 09:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

Padme will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: What was it like when you started meds?

Well, I was pretty much terrified when I started Adderall, but so far it has been very helpful. Over the years I developed a lot of coping mechanisms, but they had taken me as far as I could go, and I was still struggling.

I have noticed that I focus on one thing at a time much better and can complete things more often at work. Procrastination is still a problem, but I'm only on 20 mg once a day. I think I need a 2nd dose in the afternoon.

Housework used to just totally overwhelm me and it has actually become possible for me to clean, do laundry, dust, etc. All the things that normally were so tough and time-consuming seem like they take a normal amount of time now. I have more energy instead of feeling like a slug.

Socially I feel less awkward and slow. So I guess you'd say it has been awesome!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Padme For This Useful Post:
If Only (04-16-11), Kasechka (04-16-11), metzfanaz (04-16-11)
Old 04-16-11, 05:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kasechka is a jewel in the roughKasechka is a jewel in the roughKasechka is a jewel in the rough

I understand what you mean about fearing you'll be dependent on meds. But I look at it as a choice--I can choose to continue life with my dysfunctional coping mechanisms that were slowly destroying my marriage, our family's quality of life, alienating my children, ****ing away my professional credibility, and crushing my self-esteem, or I can accept the help that I'm grateful to have access to (not everybody does), take the meds, and work to build new life habits.

I was diagnosed in late January/February at age 44.7 after a lifetime of periodic treatment for "depression," and have been on meds for 3 weeks. There are better days and worse days, but overall, each day I feel CAPABLE of addressing whatever challenges I face, rather than OVERWHELMED. I still don't always choose to use the tools I'm trying to master, but I try to remember it takes time to make new habits. I do remember things much better, have actually completed tasks, and can focus like never before.

Overall I feel like I have been given a chance, in mid-life, of making this half much better than the last. And I feel grateful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasechka For This Useful Post:
If Only (04-16-11)