ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-11, 07:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

pianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the rough
Feeling depressed coming down from Vyvanse... Quick question about what I can do? :(

Okay, so I see my Dr. tomorrow... but I (again) am having a depressive episode coming down from my Vyvanse...

I have some low dose Adderall XR left over... If I take a 5 or 10 mg will this help the depression in the mean time??? I don't think I can take another night like this... This would just be for tonight so I could talk to my Dr. tomorrow.

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.
--(Source unknown)
Old 04-18-11, 02:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road
Re: Feeling depressed coming down from Vyvanse... Quick question about what I can do?

You got to come down sometime right? Taking a adderall xr will only further the comedown, and make the crash even worse. Adderall drains your body's glucose and takes a toll on the adrenal glands. Even though the come down feelings suck, it's best just to stick through it - drink plenty of water and get a good meal in, and get some relaxation time in. Giving your body a chance to rest is key.

Hang in there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatality For This Useful Post:
425runner (04-07-12), Nick The Newbie (04-20-11), pianoraindream (04-19-11), StoicNate (04-18-11)
Old 04-18-11, 02:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Feeling depressed coming down from Vyvanse... Quick question about what I can do?

I agree with Fatality.

Eat a good meal and relax. A cup of tea should help too.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
fatality (04-20-11), pianoraindream (04-19-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-11, 12:44 AM

little_worlds is on a distinguished road

When I was still adjusting to my ADs, Vyvanse had the most terrible crash in the world. I ran out in the middle of shopping with my mom, and she found me curled up crying in an alley 15 minutes later. I totally understand how bad these crashes can be.

Have you tried a lower dosage? If not, I'd recommend that, and see if Vyvanse will still be effective for you at a lower dose.

Also, are you currently on ADs, because that can really impact the comedown.

Adderall would probably just lead to another crash, it tends to trend more towards a clearly defined peak and then comedown than Vyvanse does.

Maybe ask your pdoc about Strattera. Daily stimulants just wreak havoc on some peoples' bodies.

PM me if you'd like to get into specifics on the Vyv and AD combo or Vyv and depression, I unfortunately have a lot of experience about the problems. I do also have experience with the good. I swear by my Vyvanse now!
The Following User Says Thank You to little_worlds For This Useful Post:
pianoraindream (04-20-11)
Old 04-20-11, 03:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

pianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: Feeling depressed coming down from Vyvanse... Quick question about what I can do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_worlds View Post
When I was still adjusting to my ADs, Vyvanse had the most terrible crash in the world. I ran out in the middle of shopping with my mom, and she found me curled up crying in an alley 15 minutes later. I totally understand how bad these crashes can be.

Have you tried a lower dosage? If not, I'd recommend that, and see if Vyvanse will still be effective for you at a lower dose.

Also, are you currently on ADs, because that can really impact the comedown.

Adderall would probably just lead to another crash, it tends to trend more towards a clearly defined peak and then comedown than Vyvanse does.

Maybe ask your pdoc about Strattera. Daily stimulants just wreak havoc on some peoples' bodies.

PM me if you'd like to get into specifics on the Vyv and AD combo or Vyv and depression, I unfortunately have a lot of experience about the problems. I do also have experience with the good. I swear by my Vyvanse now!
thanks so much for the support... I sent you a PM with a few questions, too!

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.
--(Source unknown)
Old 04-20-11, 04:39 AM

chicka37 is on a distinguished road

I am on vyvanse and the only thing that helps me come down is a bumper of 5mg adderall xr. I am going to another dr. who can prescribe me something like 2 or 3 times a day. This weakness lasts 4-6 hours (well maybe more cuz i had to take something or I wanted to die)
Old 05-17-11, 11:50 PM

werperry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoraindream View Post
Okay, so I see my Dr. tomorrow... but I (again) am having a depressive episode coming down from my Vyvanse...

I have some low dose Adderall XR left over... If I take a 5 or 10 mg will this help the depression in the mean time??? I don't think I can take another night like this... This would just be for tonight so I could talk to my Dr. tomorrow.

Take a med vacation. I've been on vyvanse for 2 years, and went through a 4 month hell of depression. ...to the point I didn't get out of bed.

Finally, I stopped taking vyvanse for a week... and began walking, then running. I was back to normal by the end of the week.

The thing is... when I am on vyvanse (my only experience) and something negative happens, I tend to focus soley on the negative issue(s) at that time.

Eat, keep positive and exercise.
Old 05-18-11, 10:49 AM
Forum Guru

Mesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to all

wow, thank you everyone, i didn't know that so many people had the same issue with vyvanse!! when i used to take vyvanse, i would feel so horrible coming off of it- i don't even know how to describe it. it felt like i was drugged. just wanted to let you guys know that i appreciate the responses, i thought i was the only one.
Old 05-18-11, 11:23 AM

Shanonanon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka37 View Post
I am on vyvanse and the only thing that helps me come down is a bumper of 5mg adderall xr. I am going to another dr. who can prescribe me something like 2 or 3 times a day. This weakness lasts 4-6 hours (well maybe more cuz i had to take something or I wanted to die)
So why are you going to another dr. for it? Im just curious cause I would rather take 2-3 a day too. Having more control would cause me less anxiety.
Old 05-18-11, 11:31 PM

johnnyc00 is on a distinguished road

I know how you feel. Vyvanse comedown is horrible. It wears off by 1pm (take it at 730ish) and I start feeling depressed by 3pm. I'm on it twice a day now and I don't get a comedown except for a huge mind fog a couple of hours before bed. But no depression.

First of all, if you just started taking Vyvanse, stay on it. The side effects go away.
And I need to make it clear that you need to drink alot of water and eat on it. That also makes a huge difference.
Old 06-27-11, 09:52 AM

Francophilex is on a distinguished road

Huh. I just started on Vyvanse and while I do feel much more tired in the evening than I used to, I don't notice a "crash." For those of you crashing, did you do it from the get-go, or did the crash start up only after you'd been on it a while? I hope that the fact that I'm not crashing now means it won't happen, but I wonder if it will develop later....
Old 06-29-11, 03:02 AM

Misspolly10 is on a distinguished road

Hi there ok so i have the EXACT same problem, and that is why i am trying to quite. Today was the first day i stopped taking it and i was woundering if it is normal to feel like Waves of bad depression through out the day even if I didnt take it? If so how long will this last...? Sigh .. Its seariously soo depressing and I too am not a depressed person.. thats why this is so confusing to me. I just want to know if this is a normal thing? Its starge because i used to take Addy. and i would go weeksw sometimes with out taking it and always skipped days and never once felt depressed, just tired and lazzy and super hungry. Someone PLEAS HELP