ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-19-11, 09:13 AM

Obfuscated is on a distinguished road
adderall ir and hair loss

Hello all. I am currently facing a problem that is some what of a rare side effect of the drug; hair loss.

I am 23 years old male and have started taking adderall for over a year now. My hair on the top of my head has slowly started to thin out and I can actually now start to see my scalp. I am a very hairy person, quite annoying really, and have always had too much hair to deal with especially on the top of my head.

I have read that losing hair is due to malnutrition, stress and decreased blood flow to the top of the scalp, all of which adderall can cause.

As far as malnutrition... I haven't been eating as much as I should be. While taking adderall, it is so hard to eat. I just don't feel hungry and I find it hard to fit in meals.

Taking adderall an hour earlier than eating makes me simply not hungry after that hour. Taking adderall an hour after eating makes the adderall not work and I usually feel queasy from eating.

So I think that malnutrition might be a factor. Decreased blood flow to the scalp is something I simply can't control.

Adderall really has helped me since I have been prescribed but I am scared of going bald. Male Pattern Baldness does not run in either side of my families.

Is there any way to counteract the effects of hair loss while still taking adderall IR?
Old 04-19-11, 10:40 AM

gimmeabreak has a spectacular aura aboutgimmeabreak has a spectacular aura about
Re: adderall ir and hair loss

Same age, same problem. I'm losing hair on my right side and it looks like I have streaks.

I agree that adderall is causing less blood flow to the brain, and hair needs the blood to receive nutrients. Fortunately, this problem is treatable with minoxidil (Rogaine). No 23 year old wants to hear about Rogaine I know. It requires on-going treatment, but how much hair has to fall out before you do something about it?

The other problem with hair loss is DHT. DHT damaged hair, is unfixable, and is the cause of male pattern baldness. So there might be hope since Adderall is just causing constricted blood flow.
The Following User Says Thank You to gimmeabreak For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (04-19-11)
Old 04-19-11, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeabreak View Post
Same age, same problem. I'm losing hair on my right side and it looks like I have streaks.

I agree that adderall is causing less blood flow to the brain, and hair needs the blood to receive nutrients. Fortunately, this problem is treatable with minoxidil (Rogaine). No 23 year old wants to hear about Rogaine I know. It requires on-going treatment, but how much hair has to fall out before you do something about it?

The other problem with hair loss is DHT. DHT damaged hair, is unfixable, and is the cause of male pattern baldness. So there might be hope since Adderall is just causing constricted blood flow.
If I can take something to fix it, I can try it. Does rogaine reverse the effects of taking adderall, i.e. hair grows back?

Ideally I'd like to still take the prescription and if I have to do something to reverse the effects while taking it, I can do that. My only other alternative is to simply stop taking it. Do I want my hair or do I want to be able to function throughout the day. Hard decision.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-11, 01:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

pianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: adderall ir and hair loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obfuscated View Post
Hello all. I am currently facing a problem that is some what of a rare side effect of the drug; hair loss.

I am 23 years old male and have started taking adderall for over a year now. My hair on the top of my head has slowly started to thin out and I can actually now start to see my scalp. I am a very hairy person, quite annoying really, and have always had too much hair to deal with especially on the top of my head.

I have read that losing hair is due to malnutrition, stress and decreased blood flow to the top of the scalp, all of which adderall can cause.

As far as malnutrition... I haven't been eating as much as I should be. While taking adderall, it is so hard to eat. I just don't feel hungry and I find it hard to fit in meals.

Taking adderall an hour earlier than eating makes me simply not hungry after that hour. Taking adderall an hour after eating makes the adderall not work and I usually feel queasy from eating.

So I think that malnutrition might be a factor. Decreased blood flow to the scalp is something I simply can't control.

Adderall really has helped me since I have been prescribed but I am scared of going bald. Male Pattern Baldness does not run in either side of my families.

Is there any way to counteract the effects of hair loss while still taking adderall IR?
I am a 25 year old female and my hair is very beautiful If it starts to fall out I will be so distraught. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I am going to the vitamin store and getting some extra vitamins ASAP and will start to force myself to eat fruits and veggies and protien even if i'm not hungry....

This would be horrible... I can't be balled and a female AND 25!!! HAHAHA <
P.S. My mom lost A LOT of weight through other means, and she lost a good portion of her hair for the longest time, but once she regulated her diet and vitamin intake it all grew back.

Rest assured, this probably isn't a permanent thing...

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.
--(Source unknown)
The Following User Says Thank You to pianoraindream For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (04-19-11)
Old 04-19-11, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoraindream View Post
I am a 25 year old female and my hair is very beautiful If it starts to fall out I will be so distraught. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I am going to the vitamin store and getting some extra vitamins ASAP and will start to force myself to eat fruits and veggies and protien even if i'm not hungry....

This would be horrible... I can't be balled and a female AND 25!!! HAHAHA <
P.S. My mom lost A LOT of weight through other means, and she lost a good portion of her hair for the longest time, but once she regulated her diet and vitamin intake it all grew back.

Rest assured, this probably isn't a permanent thing...

Well most of the threads I have read across the internet state that a large portion of the problem has to deal with simply malnutrition due to inadequate eating habits. Malnutrition compounded with the fact that scalp is not getting adequate blood flow due to the medication makes your scalp get far less nutrition than the rest of the body is. So your hair is getting far less of what little you are taking in, in the first place. So I can see a problem there.

I wonder what kind of diet and vitamins I should be on. I didn't exactly have the best diet before I was prescribed adderall. I should probably see a dietician as I am pretty diet illiterate.

I read that stopping the medicine will have the hair grow back, but I am taking it for a reason. I hate to have to choose between having hair and having a functioning concentration.
Old 04-19-11, 05:13 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,616 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

I have lost a lot of hair from adderall in the last two years since I started taking it. If everyone reported it to whoever I'm not sure it'd be a rare sideeffect. I haven't reported it yet. I wish adderall would give us more info and explain scientific reasons for all of the side affects. I'm not sure ab the blood flow and I doubt it's nutrition.my hair doesn't normally fall out easily. When I take breaks it stops falling out. I wonder if it has to do w a chemical reaction of some sort. I don't think it's permanent but I'd appreciate knowing if it's going to be bc I'll stoptaking the drug ASAP. I hope it's notthat scary word alopecia. There has to be another explanation.
The Following User Says Thank You to tired1823 For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (04-19-11)
Old 04-19-11, 05:14 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,616 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

You should tag this thread w adderall and hair loss bc there are more threads started w this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to tired1823 For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (04-19-11)
Old 04-19-11, 05:46 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,242 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all

I've been taking adderall for a very long time and I've never had any problems like hair loss. If you aren't eating as much as you used to because of the adderall that's probably a big factor.

I suggest you eat three square meals a day plus a snack in between and keep a balance diet. That should promote hair growth, or at the very least make sure your hair is healthy. I know it can be hard to fit in the meals and I know you're not as hungry, but you need that food. You may not feel the hunger but it's there. I hated eating when I wasn't hungry, but I made myself and eventually my body got so used to it that I actually feel hungry at the appropriate times.

By the way, make sure not to take any supplements that promise to reverse hair loss or regrow hair, they have been known to do just the opposite. They destroyed my aunt's hair.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by Offle; 04-19-11 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Added to answer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offle For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (04-19-11), tired1823 (04-19-11)
Old 04-19-11, 07:55 PM

StrangeLttlGrrl will become famous soon enough

I have very long hair and I went through a period of hair loss a few years ago following an extreme trauma to my body. The same thing can indeed happen with malnutrition.

I no longer eat as much as I should, either, and I've noticed more hair coming out again on and off, though not so much lately. As far as I understand it, what happens is that the normal pattern of loss and regrowth gets disrupted and a person could lose up to 40% of the volume of their hair over 3 months or so. That's what happened last time.

Good news is that it does grow back, at least it did for me last time. Perhaps making sure to have adequate complete protein intake, getting lots of fruits and veggies (eat 'em, drink 'em, doesn't matter -- perhaps fruit and veggie juices without any additives like sugar? I drink "Naked" green machine frequently) and a very good multi vitamin?
Old 04-19-11, 08:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

markadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nice

Its definitely the Adderall and I don’t think it's that rare of a side effect because alot of members here have complained about it. Its all stimulants, I had the same problem with Vyvance and Concerta.

I'm a 33 year old male and also on the hairy side. I've been growing my hair out and haven't had a hair cut in a year and a half. When I pull my hair back in a ponytail I can really tell the hair that has fallen out and grown back because of all the little hairs that are sticking out. Also when I wash my hair my hands are covered in hair, much more than normal.

So the good news is its not hair loss because it does grow back. Its more of excelled hair shedding than loss. I think it has to do with blood flow to the scalp.

I've tried everything from different shampoos and conditioners to supplements. I eat very healthy 5 times a day. I work out, take my vitamin supplements you name it. And my shower and bathroom floor is still covered in hair. SUCKS! I also drink plenty of water so its not that either.

I stopped my Adderall just to see and in about 4-5 weeks the hair loss stopped almost completely. Definitely was the cause.

I guess its up to you... whats worse the hair shedding or your ADHD symptoms?

For now i'm sticking with the meds its tolerable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markadd For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (04-19-11), tired1823 (04-20-11)
Old 04-19-11, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliee View Post
You should tag this thread w adderall and hair loss bc there are more threads started w this issue.
I added the tags, I am sure it will be helpful to others having the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markadd View Post
Its definitely the Adderall and I donít think it's that rare of a side effect because alot of members here have complained about it. Its all stimulants, I had the same problem with Vyvance and Concerta.

I'm a 33 year old male and also on the hairy side. I've been growing my hair out and haven't had a hair cut in a year and a half. When I pull my hair back in a ponytail I can really tell the hair that has fallen out and grown back because of all the little hairs that are sticking out. Also when I wash my hair my hands are covered in hair, much more than normal.

So the good news is its not hair loss because it does grow back. Its more of excelled hair shedding than loss. I think it has to do with blood flow to the scalp.

I've tried everything from different shampoos and conditioners to supplements. I eat very healthy 5 times a day. I work out, take my vitamin supplements you name it. And my shower and bathroom floor is still covered in hair. SUCKS! I also drink plenty of water so its not that either.

I stopped my Adderall just to see and in about 4-5 weeks the hair loss stopped almost completely. Definitely was the cause.

I guess its up to you... whats worse the hair shedding or your ADHD symptoms?

For now i'm sticking with the meds its tolerable.
I am a little disheartended that even on 5 meals a day, drinking plenty of water and taking vitamins that hair loss is still prevalent.

I really wish, as was stated above, that there was concrete information about how the stimulants are causes the hair loss to begin with. If they told us, then maybe we could find ways to stop it.

Hair loss and going bald from taking this medication isn't exactly something many people are going to want to deal with which would deter many people from probably wanting to take or, or it even being prescribed by doctors.

However, many stimulants apparently cause the same effect of hair loss. Is there any ADHD medication that does not cause hair loss?

The main factor that helps me in adderall is the norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor property. NRIs have been found to work for me and as I have been on just about everything; SSRI, DRI and now NRI.

Is there an NRI alternative that is not within the family of stimulants that might cause hair loss such as adderall, straterra? Obviously a NRI itself is a stimulant because.... that is what they do.

I guess I want the benefits of a drug without the side effects, I doubt that is even possible. But can't hurt to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Obfuscated For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (04-20-11)
Old 05-12-11, 10:07 PM
Jr Member

r_albans is on a distinguished road

I was also wondering if there is anything else that doesnt cause the hair loss. Strattera also causes same effect on blood flow although not as drastically. However it doesn't work as well for ADD either. Is provigil or modafinil as hard on the hair I wonder? I know it can be hard to get insurance to cover as well.
Old 05-13-11, 01:05 AM

Anthony121 is on a distinguished road

do you exercise? cardio exercise will increase the blood flow in your body which will help your scalp to get more oxygen and help your hair grow

And if you're aware of you not eating enough food than make your self eat.. I always make my self eat on these pills, Even if I can't get my full meal down. I'll eat it really slowly.. until I finish it.. I'm not over doing it because I know how much I would eat if I wasn't taking adderall..
Old 11-28-11, 12:31 AM

rsalvitti is on a distinguished road

For the record...

I am a 26 year old women who was prescribed 20mg adderall approximately 1 & 1/2 years ago. i was taking it ONLY when needed which amounted to about 8 pills per month.

as time went on, i became tolerant to the occasional 1/2 pill that was once effective and i upped my dosage to about 20 pills per month (for the past 2 months).

coincidently, in the past 1 & 1/2 years, my hair started to thin and was increasing in loss as my dosage increased. i didn't notice the correlation between the adderall and hair loss until just a few weeks ago.

I had blood work done (with no abnormalities) and saw a dermatologist and both assured me that it was due to stress.

i started researching hair loss and candida and learned very quickly that there is a distinct connection between over production of yeast (a fungus) and amphetamines.

For the past 4 weeks: i have not taken ANY adderall, i have been on a strict anti-candida diet, i eat 10oz of plain yogurt a day (probiotics), i take 4 Candex pills per day (anti fungal enzymes), 1 vitamin C, i vitamin b (for biotin), and i only wash my hair every 3 days using Nizoral (over the counter anti fungal shampoo).

*also, I'm very athletic/in shape. i work out 3 times a week. I'm 5'5" and weigh 125lbs.

before the diet, i lost over 30% of my hair. i have already noticed new hair growth and KNOW that the cause of the hair loss was due to overproduction of yeast BECAUSE of the adderall.

i urge you to research candida and the symptoms of yeast to see if you are suffering from the same thing and if you are....STOP TAKING ADDERALL.
Old 11-28-11, 07:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,424 Times in 7,413 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalvitti View Post
For the record...

I am a 26 year old women who was prescribed 20mg adderall approximately 1 & 1/2 years ago. i was taking it ONLY when needed which amounted to about 8 pills per month.

as time went on, i became tolerant to the occasional 1/2 pill that was once effective and i upped my dosage to about 20 pills per month (for the past 2 months).

coincidently, in the past 1 & 1/2 years, my hair started to thin and was increasing in loss as my dosage increased. i didn't notice the correlation between the adderall and hair loss until just a few weeks ago.

I had blood work done (with no abnormalities) and saw a dermatologist and both assured me that it was due to stress.

i started researching hair loss and candida and learned very quickly that there is a distinct connection between over production of yeast (a fungus) and amphetamines.

For the past 4 weeks: i have not taken ANY adderall, i have been on a strict anti-candida diet, i eat 10oz of plain yogurt a day (probiotics), i take 4 Candex pills per day (anti fungal enzymes), 1 vitamin C, i vitamin b (for biotin), and i only wash my hair every 3 days using Nizoral (over the counter anti fungal shampoo).

*also, I'm very athletic/in shape. i work out 3 times a week. I'm 5'5" and weigh 125lbs.

before the diet, i lost over 30% of my hair. i have already noticed new hair growth and KNOW that the cause of the hair loss was due to overproduction of yeast BECAUSE of the adderall.

i urge you to research candida and the symptoms of yeast to see if you are suffering from the same thing and if you are....STOP TAKING ADDERALL.
Just wanted to mention that acidophilis pills help with candida and also more protein helpd the keratin in your hair become more plentiful. I've used protein shakes, b and d vitamins and good quality shampoo from a salon that's meant for thinning hair. (Its actually recommended for chemo patients. Just thought id share.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?