ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 08-22-04, 12:01 AM

Mariela is on a distinguished road
How many of you women with ADD procrastinate in beauty matters?

The person that I am in my mind doesn't match the person that I am in real life. I do care about how I look, for example, but there's always something in the way that stops me from doing the beauty rituals that I would like to do. I would like to buy new clothes but having two daughters pulling my clothes in public and not being in my ideal weight I continue to postpone it. In my mind I dress sexy (like I used to), but in reality I have that yoga teacher look that most new moms have. Anyway, I have no excuse for certain things like not wearing makeup or postponing buying new underware. My hair is always tied up with a big clip, which I think my husband is getting tired to look at.
Old 08-22-04, 11:49 AM

QuiltingMarie is on a distinguished road
I'm really bad about not getting my hair cut often enough. I don't like to do my hair in the mornings, but when a haircut starts to look bad, I just keep with it until someone says something, usually my husband. I tried wearing makeup for awhile, but I quit after a month or so. I just don't wear makeup now. Oh well. Everyone else can just live with my "natural" beauty!

Marie
Old 08-22-04, 12:53 PM
can't remember diddly Moderator

Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,082 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
I have managed to solve the haircutting issue...I do my own bangs, and let my hair grow long for about two years. Then when I have ten inches to spare, I get it lopped off and styled at a salon that donates it to Locks of Love. It's a nice tradition with my niece for Rosh HaShanah. In between it's usually up in a clip but if I'm feeling bummed about the shagginess I fluff it out on top and spritz some blue into it. I don't wear makeup anymore, I don't have time to put it on and nowhere to wear it. The clothes are frumpy because everything's uncomfortable due to my weight. I can't afford it anyway. Ya know though, I really hate clothes shopping. It is a constant focus, comparing prices, thinking it all through and takes forever. I usually shop at Goodwill and sometimes there are no sizes on things, which makes it challenging to pick the right thing. Lately I've been wearing my husband's clothes because they're so darn comfortable. I even tried his boxer briefs...boy are those things comfortable! Flush the thong, man! Excuse the tangent but I can't help but wonder what women would really wear if given a choice and not heterosexual men trying to dress them and tell them what looks good? I looked in my friend's Victoria Secret catalog...honestly...40 bucks for some lacey, itchy, tight, wedgy-making undies! 40 bucks for something made for the first 5 minutes of foreplay! Ooops, sorry, family site and I'm being naughty again.

Back to issue...when I take the time to look on the outside what I feel like on the inside it takes way too long for a low-maintenance girl like me. Does anyone here truly take the time to bother? I just want to look healthy and have energy...DON'T! sigh....

Please read our forum guidelines.
FAQ "How Do I...start here"
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-04, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Onwari is on a distinguished road
I try, try, try to maintain myself. My boyfriend says he thought I was high maintainence when we first went out. He says to his happy surprise I am not that bad.

I have wanted to be girlie, but it is uncomfortable to me. I paint my toenails but the polish is chipped. I can grow my nails long and polish them, only to let them go and have some long and some short. Of course the polish is chipping and I help it along by picking at it. I get my hair styled at the salon and I am girlie for a day, only to wash it and put it in a pony tail the next day.

I like outdoorsy clothes. I like jeans and hiking gear...do you know what I mean? I don't dress Liz Claiborne. I think I have class, my ex husband told me so. But I don't know if there is such a thing as a classy-tomboy.

My Mom told me my grandma used to buy me pink dresses with lace and such. The next thing she would see is me outside climbing a tree in it. So beauty has to remain natural for me....

Last edited by Onwari; 08-22-04 at 05:09 PM..
Old 08-22-04, 05:04 PM

latesha is on a distinguished road
I personally go through what I like to call "BEAUTIFYING SPURTS", not only is it FUN to say...lol it teds to explain it quite clearly.
Bueaty products come in the millions, Biore` introduces the "PORE CLEANSING STRIPS...I of course HAD to HAVE them. Physicians Formula Make-up, had to have it. A new straightening formula for the hair, had to do it. The hair iscurly again (lack of maintenance, the make up sits in a basket in the bathroom, looks nices, but rarely gets worn, the pore strips, they come in packs of 6, there are 4 left. Because I have nice displays of all these beauty products in my bathroom, that is normally what I receive as gifts from those who frequent my home, so they now overflow into a closet. I wear makeup only when going to something where makeup is needed. I wear capri pants and t shirts most days, unless I have a meeting then I do my best to look half way presentable. My hair is 99.95% of the time pulled up in a pony tail (thatis messy, I might add) because I dont want to have to mess with it. I have not had my eyebrows waxed in YEARS, and well, it truly doesnt bother me. COuld I look better? YES! Do I have the means and products to do so? YES! Do I have the time? Well, I could make time, but why bother, it is so much nicer to roll out of bed 10 minutes before I have to be to work, jump in and outof the shower, throw up my hair, and throw on some clothes. Why stand in the bathroom for an hour plus primping justto go to work and come home again, and then have to do it all over day in and day out.
I like to buy anduse new products, but they just endup sitting there. Now my focus is on trying NOT to buy things that I KNOW I am not going to use.
Old 08-23-04, 08:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ha ha Latesha! I bought those Oil of Olay face wash towlettes like 4 years ago. They remain on my sink with like four in the box. The box looks nice on my sink.

Hey? What if a guest wants to freshen up??
Old 08-23-04, 10:16 PM

Hopeless is on a distinguished road
Cool

Heh, I always have to get a new hairdo every few months. I just get bored with the same look. But its never anything glamourous. Sometimes I cut my own hair. Right now Im sporting the short messy shag currently with bangs in my eyes.

I don't like to wear makeup. I only wore makeup in my highschool years and early twenties because of the acne. I love the natural look. Ill only wear a little bit of makeup for going out.

I hate nail polish except for clear color. And I hate long nails.

I do hate wearing dresses and skirts or anything too girly. I hate pink and pastels. Dont wear alot of jewelery if any at all. Whenever I do dress up, Its usually some nice slacks, high heels, and a bold colored shirt.

I don't do any "beauty rituals".

I hate thongs. They are the most uncomfortable things in the world. Women who wear them all the time are only doing it because guys like it. They are lying when they say they are comfortable. How can a permanent wedgie be comfortable? Am I wrong? My bf loves thongs so I bought one just for him, but I never wear it. It like my last pair I wear before laundry day when I have nothing left.
Old 08-23-04, 10:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Prairiewind is on a distinguished road
Nah, you aren't hopeless. I hate fingernail polish, wearing dresses, and I have no talent for hair whatsoever. I don't do beauty rituals either, though I have noticed that women who have beauty rituals seem to always look nice, even when they 'go casual.' I also hate that you can't call thongs (those things one wears on one's feet), 'thongs' anymore  we have to refer to them as 'flip-flops' now so people know which part of the body we are talking about. How primitive! Anyway, you are not alone!
Old 08-24-04, 07:54 AM
Contributor

ADDfor2 has disabled reputation
I have tons of creams and makeup that just sit around. I keep meaning to use them but never do. I could never keep up with those skin treatment routines so I've quit buying that stuff. I don't dress up a lot but when I do I can look pretty decent. I usually look neat but the clothes are pretty plain and comfortable. I do the toenails in the summer but do wind up with the chipped look eventually. I do my nails occassionally when they get long enough to bother with and give up when they start to break. I could never seem to keep up a nail routine.

I don't have the money or time to do the weekly or monthly haircut, so it's pretty long. My best friend trims it every couple of months or so. I usually wear it long with a hair clip and fluff up the bangs. All the female people I know would like to see me hack it off. All the men tell me it's beautiful and to never cut it. Who do I listen too? Take a guess? I will probably take it to the grave. It's just a me thing. It's become an extension of me. I think there would actually be people who didn't recognize me if I cut it short. Besides the fact that I hate short hair on me. When I was a girl my mother had it hacked off every month and I looked like a boy. As for makeup, ever since right before high school I've always used some eyeliner and mascara. I have large italian doe eyes and it really accents them. I feel naked without it. Most of the time that's about all I do. I add a little blush when I am going to work or out somewhere special. I also sometimes line my eyebrows because they are so light you can hardly see them. Lucky for me I don't have to pluck them all the time, what a pain. It only takes a few minutes for the makeup because I don't use that much of it. I do love jeans but right now I look to heavy in them so I mostly just wear a nice top and Kacky pants. I would say most of the time I am pretty low maintenance. Years ago it used to take me 3 hours to get ready, now I'm down to a half hour or less depending where I'm going. Big difference. Oh, and I agree about the thongs, very uncomfortable. I think as most women get older we notice the comfort as much as the look of clothes. I try to look nice but feel comfortable too. For me it just takes too much time and focus to look totally perfect every day of the week.

Last edited by ADDfor2; 08-24-04 at 08:03 AM..
Old 08-24-04, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

daisyo75 is on a distinguished road
um one second while I get my hair out of my eyes

I think I am beyond procrastination in this area. The last time I went to put makeup on for a special event I had to throw it out because it was all dried out.

Every once in awhile I am inspired to try some new beauty thing but since having kids I just don't bother.

My name is Daisy and I have a short atten.... oh look at that shiny rock.
Old 08-24-04, 09:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Hey girls! I will tell you one beauty ritual that is fairly easy and doesn't take hours of fuss. I get those Mega Women GNC vitamins and pop one in the morning after breakfast and one in the afternoon after lunch.

I started taking them after much research on the subject and found them to be superior to the others. They may be a little more expensive, but it's worth it. They make me feel better and look better.

Exercise is another healthy beauty ritual, but I'll talk about that when I start doing it on a regular basis!
Old 08-24-04, 01:30 PM

Latesha,
that's kind of like me. I like to buy the products, but then don't use them consistently.
Old 08-24-04, 01:55 PM

hhjjhghjmnb bnv

Thanks for your replies. I can relate to all of you. I never paint my nails. Thongs are uncomfortable to me also. I only have two thongs to play with my husband and for some pants were you can see regular panties through them. I do like to dress up and look girly but it has to be comfortable. If I cannot move freely, I get in a bad mood. Also, I like very long hair and hate to go to hairdressers because they will start pushing me to let them cut my hair shorter. I cut it myself. I never wear jewerly. Like I have said: In my mind, I like it. But in reality, I rarely use any. When I do, the first thing I do when I get home is taking the jewelrs off. I'm in search of my "beauty identity" (haha, how phylosophical I'm getting about such trivial thing). I guess I'm a "natural" who likes dress up or look girly when she is in the mood or on special occassions.
Old 08-24-04, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
this thread is interesting...I thought of my lack of style for the past 15 years was do to having kids,a non glam job and being over weight.

I usally wear my hair up and pulled back. At 4:30am who the heck cares about their hair. I wash my face with special anti not look my age stuff and throw on some moisturizer. I wear sunglasses while I work so I don't bother with eyes makeup. It's only on the cloudy days I think about putting some on. My clothes are T shirts, sweat shirts and jeans..

Funny story: I drop off a group early in the am. Because it was 6 hours before they wanted to be picked up I went home. I washed my hair,styled it nice and added some makeup. When I went back to get this group they thought I was a different girl... It was embarrassing in a way ...

If I do wear something different than my jeans and a t shirt and add makeup. leave my hair down, my girls will ask me were I'm going.....
Old 08-24-04, 03:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwari
I paint my toenails but the polish is chipped. I can grow my nails long and polish them, only to let them go and have some long and some short. Of course the polish is chipping and I help it along by picking at it
Wait, are you trying to say this isn't the way all us stylish women wear their toe polish and their nails I thought I was being very fashionable.. hee hee