ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-11, 02:35 PM

Bovinepart is on a distinguished road
How to quit smoking while taking dexamphetamine - Do slow release tabs make it easier

Does anyone know if slow release Dexamphetamine (20 milagram) help with the peaks and valleys of 5 milligram Dexamphetamine that I take 2 of 4 times a day?
I am just wondering if I can get my Doc to put me on them, will it help me in my quest to quitt smoking...

I smoke and find that when I have a day without my meds I can go through the day easily without hardly thinking about having a smoke

But with the with the peaks and valleys I often have when I am on my meds I am itching for a smoke especially if I have left it a bit too long my next dose of DEX mainly due to my brain flittering (for want of a better word) and when I do have a smoke I find it levels me out so I can operate normally especially if I am buzzing a bit

Also I often find it hard with my work, dealing with customers and alike, removing myself to have my next dose when I should, which kinda doesn't help me to have a level headed day

kinda sux because I have tried going off DEX for a while, so I can quitt smoking and was reasonably successful (3 months) but not operating very efficiently and when I went back on the DEX the smokes came back too...
Old 04-22-11, 06:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,185 Times in 919 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to quit smoking while taking dexamphetamine - Do slow release tabs make it ea

I dont know but if you switch to an extended release and it helps, please post about it or send me an email on here.

Ritalin (instant release) makes me want to smoke like a fiend, and if I skip my meds for a day or weekend, I don't smoke at all. It is worst about an hour - hour and a half after I take it, I feel like climbing the walls if I can't have a smoke.

When I was on Wellbutrin for depression, I did not smoke but I know Ritalin and Adderall make me want to, and when I took other stimulants in the past, it made me want to. I don't know why. Alot of people they say it makes them NOT want to smoke but boy, it sure does me.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 04-22-11, 06:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

Grunny will become famous soon enough
Re: How to quit smoking while taking dexamphetamine - Do slow release tabs make it ea

I couldn't stop smoking without my meds and with my meds it seems even harder. I'm a complete junkie. Even with my medical history and my oncologist telling me i 'll probably be dead in ten years because of a heart attack (which is likely, since that's a flaw in my family to begin with) i just can't seem to beat that horrible addiction. Apparently even if my life depended on it, and it does. So i can't help you :P But i know what you're going through. Good luck.
Sponsored Links