ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-11, 07:14 PM

Tamsin will become famous soon enough
Has anybody had this happen when you get stressed?

Hi all! This is my first post on the board. I have been meaning to ask this for awhile, but I always forgot to. When you get stressed, do you suddenly have impulses to do certain things?

For example, I am usually either very early to appointments, or some-what late, though I am usually late more often than early. Most likely I am late because, as I am getting ready to leave I suddenly decide it is very important to do a certain task, like fold my laundry, unload/load the dishwasher, vacuum, etc. Once I think I should do that I can't stop. Before I know it I am actually doing said task, even if I know I am going to be late. Actually, I have stopped caring if I am late, because doing the task is more important.

Last night I had to go to the ER for a severly infected bug bite on my leg, and while my mother was showering and getting ready to take me I decided I just HAD to put my clean laundry away (laundry that had been sitting on my floor, ignored, for days) and to clean my bathroom. I was racing around doing stupid little tasks that could have waited, except it was very important that I get them done NOW. Maybe this is an ADD/OCD thing.

I tend to be very impulsive, sometimes getting up to take a shower at 2 in the morning because it just seemed like a good idea at the time, or buying $20 worth of stuff I don't need (which is a lot for me), and I know this is common for people with ADD, but had anybody had their impulses go up when they are stressed or on a time constraint?
Old 04-22-11, 07:19 PM

ADDMaybe is on a distinguished road
Re: Has anybody had this happen when you get stressed?

Yes. Although I'm not dxed. And I don't do that just when I'm stressed it's more of an everyday thing. Especially when I'm trying to start a new routine, or do something important, my mind finds excuses/distractions like no other.
Old 04-22-11, 07:23 PM

I still do that everyday, but I notice it gets a lot worse when I am stressed, or know I have to leave in a few minutes. I always think "Oh I have time to do this" and I usually don't.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-11, 10:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

"It seemed like a good idea at the time" is one of my most frequently uttered statements.

Now that I think about it, under stress I do tend to be a little more impulsive. It's as though my brain gets the idea that it's time to go and just starts throwing out a ton of things I should be "going" on. It can be maddening when I've got one important objective, and my brain suggests 14 others that seem to be equally important.

And time, as you saw in my earlier post about being chronically early, is a huge, fat stressor for me, especially if I have an actual deadline. For example, I pick my guy up at work every day at three. At two, my brain panics and starts demanding that I get all sorts of things done before I leave - take a shower, sweep and mop the floors, do laundry, clean the bathroom, straighten up the patio, etc, etc, etc. Every.Single. Day. I've started writing up a schedule (thanks, ADHDTigger!) just so I can look at it and tell myself - no, I do not need to sweep and mop the floors today. That's Wednesday's job.

Any kind of stress seems to make ADHD behaviors worse, no matter what flavor of ADHD you are. I'm certain that's why so many of us also take anti-anxiety meds - keeping our stress levels manageable is critical to managing our ADHD. Anxiety is a common co-morbidity with ADHD, but even those who don't have it need to keep their stress minimized.
Old 04-23-11, 12:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

quark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsin View Post
I still do that everyday, but I notice it gets a lot worse when I am stressed, or know I have to leave in a few minutes. I always think "Oh I have time to do this" and I usually don't.
I do this every time I have to be somewhere on time...like going to work Mon-Fri!
Old 04-23-11, 04:06 PM

Vurki is on a distinguished road

Isn't that pretty much an OCD thing? I have some OCD symptoms but not the whole disorder, and the behavior you described isn't really familiar to me, but my conception is that the obsessions/compulsions in OCD become a lot more visible and "real" when you're stressed. Have you got an official OCD diagnosis?
Old 04-23-11, 05:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,919 Times in 7,990 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Tamsin!! I do this in spades.

I have a deadline? oh no.. I must spend the time cleaning out a closet. That urge comes on sudden and it is SO urgent feeling. I have resisted it, but it requires a lot from me. I'll catch myself on my way to the urgent task and say "no, you go back to what you were doing" but MAN it's distracting and hard to do what I actually do need to be doing when that happens.

This thankfully is NOT a daily thing
Old 04-24-11, 03:19 AM
Contributor

dopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nice

this happens to me too and ive thought about it in the past and decided that the reason i do it is most likely as a conditioned coping response. More specifically in the form of avoidance.

stressed about going to a meeting? what better way for your brain to relieve that stress than too occupy itself with another task which is non stressful
Old 04-25-11, 04:13 PM
Forum Guru

Mesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopestep View Post
this happens to me too and ive thought about it in the past and decided that the reason i do it is most likely as a conditioned coping response. More specifically in the form of avoidance.

stressed about going to a meeting? what better way for your brain to relieve that stress than too occupy itself with another task which is non stressful
i do this all the time, i'm not sure if i do it more when i am stressed or not, though. i wish i could figure out why, like you have. i do this randomly (or at least i think so), like for example at work i will be walking towards an aisle, and i can walk either to the left of it, or to the right of it. all of a sudden it becomes important to me whether i go to the left or to the right. usually i am in the past the aisle anyways, and whichever side i'm on(say i'm on the left), i'll have the thought that i need to back-track and go the other way. i feel like my mind is sometimes filled with this non-important nonsense. another example is, when i used to work at an army surplus store, selling boots, i would be in the middle of getting one customer his boots (like on a ladder in the warehouse) when i decided that i needed to get something else done first. so rather than just grabbing that pair of boots, i would climb back down the ladder, and then go *)stock a certain boot, or *)price something, or *)get another customer's boots first, anything like that. then i would deliberately do what i was doing when i had the thought last. i'm constantly stopping myself and having these weird illogical thoughts.
Old 04-25-11, 11:12 PM

PI_guy is on a distinguished road

I've done this my entire life. It isn't related to stress for me. For some reason I just find it easier to do what needs to be done when there's something else I SHOULD be doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to PI_guy For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (04-25-11)
Old 04-25-11, 11:33 PM
Contributor

imreallyjin has a spectacular aura aboutimreallyjin has a spectacular aura about

when I study and i'm not absorbing any information, I go for a long long walk.
When I feel bored, I just fidget or daydream.

both involved being stressed.
Old 04-25-11, 11:38 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,614 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by imreallyjin View Post
when I study and i'm not absorbing any information, I go for a long long walk.
When I feel bored, I just fidget or daydream.

both involved being stressed.
my brother had to redo his study techniques his first year in medschool so he could concentrate best. It was extremely hard for him. By his third year he realized the best method for him was 45 mins studying, 10 min break. He would do this all day long. By now I would call him a pro studier.
Old 04-26-11, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vurki View Post
Have you got an official OCD diagnosis?
Yes, when I was younger.
Old 04-26-11, 12:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,907 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

When I got really angry about being moved to another room I thought 'I'll show them, I'll move all my stuff into my new room right away.'
But the opposite reaction happened. They were really happy and I was really sore.

Is this what the thread is about? I don't know. I didn't read through the thread properly.
Old 04-26-11, 12:49 AM
Contributor

toothpick has a spectacular aura abouttoothpick has a spectacular aura about

although it happens to me i find i get these tasks done faster =-P but im usually still late. of all the times to pick last second had to be it? making me forget things i need for going there ... more backtracking.. haha thats just me though