ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 04-26-11, 09:35 AM

kirby216 is on a distinguished road
thinning dry lifeless hair and facial flushing???

Has anyone noticed dry, thinning hair when taking Adderall or Ritalin? My hair is so weird, very thin in the back and clumps together. I have lost weight on meds, but I eat healthy and take vitamins daily. My hair just looks awful, and not that I had really thick hair before, it was never this bad, thinning all over and won't curl.
Also, around 4 or 5 pm, I get a "flush" around my nose, cheeks and ears. Its so weird.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to kirby216 For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (04-26-11)
Old 04-26-11, 09:46 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,242 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all
Re: thinning dry lifeless hair and facial flushing???

There is another thread on here that talks about shedding more hair while on adderall, but I haven't seen anything about hair drying out.

When was the last time you switched shampoo brands? Using the same one for a few months straight can dry out your hair very easily, especially if you use a brand like suave or something. How often do you wash your hair? Do you use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner? Have you swam a lot in pools recently?

The flush thing could be part of your come down off of the medicine. I notice that sometimes my face gets kind of warm at night, but it only happens once in a while and it's never uncomfortable or anything.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent Van Gogh
Old 04-26-11, 03:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

miinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the rough

I haven't experienced any changes in my hair. i do notice that adderall tends to dehydrate me a bit, causing my skin to be a bit drier than usual - i just drink a TON of water to compensate and avoid caffeine.

With that said - have you had your thyroid and blood sugar levels checked recently? Dry, thinning hair is a huge indicator of hypothyroid issues, as well as a number of focus issues that are very similar to what you would be already experiencing with ADD. May be worth checking out. I would also get your heart rate checked out - when my stims wear off my heart rate jumps quite a bit and i get the flushing symptoms you describe. I'm on a beta blocker to even things out.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-11, 03:55 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,616 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

yea, you should tag this with adderall and hair loss..and facial flushing. That's what the other person did last week.
Old 04-26-11, 04:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,041 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I never thought about it until now but my hair lost a lot of curl and life to it when I was on meds. I noticed my hair is all curly again but just assumed it might have more to do with climate. How interesting.
tired1823 (04-26-11)
Old 05-01-11, 03:05 PM
Jr Member

tenese is on a distinguished road

Flushing is on the list of side effects of the medication. I have experienced it too. I did not notice any hair changes though. But I did not take it that long. How is your diet? Are you eating enough? Another side effect is loss of appetite. If you are not getting proper nutrition, it may have something to do with your hair changes.
Old 05-03-11, 02:22 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,663 Times in 788 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
You know, I never thought about it until now but my hair lost a lot of curl and life to it when I was on meds. I noticed my hair is all curly again but just assumed it might have more to do with climate. How interesting.
Ya but Ginniebean even my dermo said What we need for our skin here is to drop a very large lake in the middle of the province
Old 05-11-11, 06:19 PM
Jr Member

StarlaDear is on a distinguished road

Adderall has made my hair very very very oily and dry, it's horrible! I'll take a shower and 10 mintues later my hair is like it was never even washed. This is the main reason I don't take it every day, it makes my skin and hair SO oily I can't stand it!
Old 05-23-11, 02:35 AM

Jacob01 is on a distinguished road

if You may be experiencing this due to the side-effects of these drugs. I suggest visit a trichologist and get the hair thinning under control and even make use of good hair care regimen to prevent further hair loss. I employed the same method and got the hair loss under control.