ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 04-26-11, 05:28 PM
Contributor

Phayah has a spectacular aura aboutPhayah has a spectacular aura about
ADHD - Stimulant medication reducing frequency of migraines?

It's still a little too early for me to be certain but I think stimulant medication may actually be reducing the frequency of my migraines (as long as I stay nice and hydrated ). It's kind of amazing. Over the years I've tried tons of different medications to prevent migraines without success.

I've only been recently diagnosed with ADHD but I've had migraines since I was 10 years old. The only thing that works is Imitrex injections. I swear they could pump me full of morphine and I'd be drooling, half-dead and STILL have a migraine.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of googling but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much information about stimulants reducing migraine frequency (at least I haven't found it). The only thing I've found so far is a possible link between migraines and ADHD.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you know of any information related to this?
Old 04-26-11, 05:40 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,131 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD - Stimulant medication reducing frequency of migraines?

I was looking for that a few days ago and couldn't find anything other than it caused headaches. Just one more example of how these meds work differently for each person.

How great is it that it's stopped your migraines??? I hope it continues to help!!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
Phayah (04-26-11)
Old 04-26-11, 05:47 PM
Contributor

Thanks!

Do you have chronic migraines? If so, have you noticed any change since starting stimulant medication?
Old 04-26-11, 06:38 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,131 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've never been diagnosed with migraines, but I do have frequent , sometimes severe, headaches. I've always figured it was allergies. Living in Texas, we have about 10-11 months of allergens, so I'm always battling something in the air.

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone else posted that Dexedrine stopped their migraines. It may not have been here. It's what lead to me looking to see if meds caused or stopped headaches.

Concerta was horrible for headaches. I guess you could call them migraines? I had to lie down and I felt nauseated. I had a few minor headaches when I started Adderall, but now that I think about it, I've had none today. Now you've got me wondering if it wasn't allergy related after all. Hmmm.......

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 04-27-11, 02:58 AM

WickedGirl is on a distinguished road

I no longer take any Stims or meds because their overall side effects became intolerable, BUT......
When I used to take Adderall XR, my migraines disappeared completely. I posted about it several times in this forum somewhere. No other ADD drugs did this for me, not even Dexedrine, which I actually preferred to the Adderall, because the Adderall made me such a *****, whereas the Dex made me a very zen-like person. So weird. But, the Adderall completely eradicated my migraines while I was on it. Once I stopped taking it, the migraines came back. My doc thought I was nuts when I tried to tell him about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to WickedGirl For This Useful Post:
Phayah (04-27-11)
Old 04-27-11, 10:40 AM
Contributor

I've read about a couple of people where their neurologist put them on low dose stimulants as a migraine preventative.

It seems like any stimulant helps me, although I don't like Concerta too much (makes me sleepy). I do get grumpy when the Adderall XR is wearing off but that seems to be getting better each day.

My previous doctor told me I should go see a neurologist after I moved but I haven't gotten around to that yet. Hopefully, when I finally go see one I can ask if they know why the ADHD medication helps.
Old 04-27-11, 11:39 AM
Contributor

I just found an article that lists ADHD medications being used off-label for migraine prevention. I just wish I knew exactly how it works.