ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-11, 01:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

seamstress will become famous soon enough
Do you find you focus better once you find something that interests you?

I find that I'm not able to concentrate for prolonged periods of time; regardless of the circumstances. Unless I'm doing something that requires no effort whatsoever, I find that I always have a tough time screening through my "brain fog". These couch potato activities include: watching TV, buying random #$%* online, watching comedy shows, reading something I enjoy but that really doesn't substantially benefit me (fiction novels, comics, etc..) Basically, anything that involves my definition of "fun".

A lot of people say that once ADDer's find something interesting or something that is they are passionate about, they are able to overcome their attention span barriers.

Career-wise, I find that all jobs require the ability to sustain attention. Jobs ranging from :

-McDonalds cashier: sorry madam ...when you said "coke no ice" it really sounded like you were saying "big mac meal"..See if you say coke no ice really fast...
-haridresser: ..I accidentally razored your eyelids..I'm sorry
-lawyer: this "murderer", I mean "my defendant
-doctor: sorry, I think I have punctured your lungs, while...performing that kindey transplant. We're gonna need another surgical procedure to fix that...

Even working at fast food can be difficult when you have trouble: remembering orders, talking to customers and counting cash at the same time, arriving to shifts on time,etc...

I don't mean to sound apocalyptic or "negative", just being brutally honest.
What do you guys think?
Old 04-27-11, 01:14 AM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice
Re: Do you find you focus better once you find something that interests you?

I think the answer to your question is pretty obviously "yes", but regardless it's posted in the wrong section.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 04-27-11, 01:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

I disagree.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-11, 02:10 AM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamstress View Post
I disagree.
Let me get this straight. You just described a very common issue that you have with focus, asked if others experience it as well, and when I replied "yes" you say that you disagree? Why would you disagree with me agreeing with you, that makes no sense.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 04-27-11, 03:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

Two responses:
(1) I disagree that my post was in the wrong section. Chit-chat is an arbitrary category. And of course, I agree that you agree with me! Haha!

From previous post that got deleted:

(2)What do I have to loose?

Well...I heard that ADHD medication (especially stimulants) can cause a lot of cardiovascular problems. Which is why children and some adults need to go through a heart-screening before taking these medications.

"ADD/ADHD stimulant medications have been found to cause sudden death in children and adults with heart conditions." (http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_medications.htm)

I have doctors in the family. And some of them tried to dissuade me from taking stimulants by stating that prolonged stimulant use can cause several heart problems: it may prevent your heart valve from having the ability to close. Since, the heart would be constantly activated as it tries to pump the blood throughout the circulatory system. Like an over-used engine, the heart may loose the ability to pump.

Potential long-term effects of stimulants: sleep problems, anxiety, aggression and moodiness.

But, I'm still hopeful that stimulants manage the symptoms. They may improve quality of life. The side-effects of stimulants are worrisome but having to deal with chronic inattention can be debilitating as well. I will do more research and get back to you!
Old 04-27-11, 05:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,156 Times in 14,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Do you find you focus better once you find something that interests you?

I believe it is called hyperfocus or tunnel vision at least for me. Sometimes its to the point of obcession.
Old 04-27-11, 12:30 PM
Forum Guru

Not saying that isn't true, but just because you read warnings about it doesn't mean that it's very likely to happen. I don't know the most recent statistics, but I do know that in a 4yr period (from 199-2003) 12 kids died from taking Adderall out of over 37 million prescriptions written.

So basically getting a prescription would put you at a .00003% chance of suddenly dying. Just to put that in perspective, you're more than 11 times more likely to get struck by lightning.

Old 05-02-11, 11:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I believe it is called hyperfocus or tunnel vision at least for me. Sometimes its to the point of obcession.
Yeah, I heard of "hyperfocus" before. But, I wonder if that is just really a lack of ability to shift attention. For example, you are so focused on work that other parts of your life have to suffer. Or vice versa.

Also, in terms of the medication, it may be true that you are more likely to be struck by lightning than to die instantly from taking stimulant medication. However, the long-term effects of chronic medication use are still elusive. No one, to date, has ever done a study on the long-term effects of stimulants in adults. This means that there is no record of potential long-term side-effects. For example, if a patient who takes stimulant medication gets a pre-mature heart-attack, the rest of the population is oblivious about it.