ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 05-01-11, 05:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

sciencer has disabled reputation
Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT) any luck with treatment. (Desperate) HELP

I am desperate for treatment of SCT, if there is actually a treatment.

I took concerta 30mg but made me depressed and didn't help me focus at all.

My last hope is strattera which my doctor is considering.

Did anyone actually respond to strattera who has SCT?

IS SCT just a learning disability with no help i just want to hear a success story because i am worried about my future.

I don't want to go on Adderall because I will likely be addicted, over time and plus it has too much side effects.

I am going to have to drop out of college because its just too hard going to college every day with missing like half the information and never reading the books. READing is even harder.

PLEASe SCTers I need ur help!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sciencer For This Useful Post:
Jade Sea (07-07-11), someothertime (03-24-13)
Old 05-01-11, 05:37 PM
Contributor

jman05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT) any luck with treatment. (Desperate) HELP

Why the weird fonts?

Anyways, I had success with Vyvanese but non much with non stimulants or most stimulants for that matter. Be sure to take low dosages though because SCT needs lower.
The Following User Says Thank You to jman05 For This Useful Post:
andy1027 (08-17-13)
Old 05-01-11, 05:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman05 View Post
Why the weird fonts?

Anyways, I had success with Vyvanese but non much with non stimulants or most stimulants for that matter. Be sure to take low dosages though because SCT needs lower.

tHANKS

FRont: it helps me keep my place when reading
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-11, 06:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDspacecadet has a spectacular aura aboutADDspacecadet has a spectacular aura about

I have SCT too and to me it feels like I just don't have the mental energy/clarity to do things like normal people. I'm discovering I need to go to be early (ideally at 10 or 11) to feel my best the next day. Also, take your vitamins and consider having your vitamin levels checked by the doctor. You could be low in some of them. I've started taking vitamin D at 6,000 IUs and I think it's helping some with my fatigue. Also, make sure you're eating healthy and not overeating.

For medications I'm not sure what to tell you because adderall xr made me really anxious so I stopped taking it. I'm planning on asking my doctor to try a non-stimulant option like wellbutrin or strattera. It may also be that you just need to take something for anxiety along with a stimulant.

One more thing I'll add is that you might have food-sensitivities. I'm going to start a low-carb diet because I've heard that's best for ADD, and I'm considering trying gluten free one day. Slow thinking and brain fog can be symptoms of food sensitivities. Some mental issues are caused by food allergies.

Don't give up. I also am doing awful in school because of SCT, but we just have to keep trying things and getting better. I'm sure if you don't give up you'll find what works for you. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADDspacecadet For This Useful Post:
Jade Sea (07-07-11), someothertime (03-24-13)
Old 05-01-11, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

excel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencer View Post
I am desperate for treatment of SCT, if there is actually a treatment.

I took concerta 30mg but made me depressed and didn't help me focus at all.

My last hope is strattera which my doctor is considering.

Did anyone actually respond to strattera who has SCT?

IS SCT just a learning disability with no help i just want to hear a success story because i am worried about my future.

I don't want to go on Adderall because I will likely be addicted, over time and plus it has too much side effects.

I am going to have to drop out of college because its just too hard going to college every day with missing like half the information and never reading the books. READing is even harder.

PLEASe SCTers I need ur help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take a tape recorder to class and record the lectures.
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
Tabbycat (03-17-12)
Old 05-01-11, 06:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

I took Vitamin D3 and it did help with fatigue, found this correlation by luck. thank you very much I am on omega, vitamin D3, b6&12, l-lysine.

ur right about the food sensitivity. (have allergies as well)
I will consider this diet. I tend to over eat.

Thank you
Old 05-01-11, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Take a tape recorder to class and record the lectures.
I do that but never listen to it back, I say I will but never get to it!!
I tried every trick in the book, like carrying one one book to recopy notes later which I don't even do. Most of it is my fault.. thank you
Old 05-02-11, 07:09 AM
Jr Member

d3xter404 is on a distinguished road

I used to take straterra and adderall (either combined or alternating weeks) with only mild success.

I've found (that for me) vitamins and hormones seem to play an important role in how well my brain functions. My vitamin D and B12 levels have both dipped very low and supplementing them does help quite a bit. A prescription strength dose of 50,000 IU Vitamin D even makes my vision appear brighter and more vivid for a few days. Additionally, I seem to have low testosterone levels, and testosterone replacement has helped my SCT symptoms as well. (but be very careful that your estradiol (estrogen) levels don't climb too high if you do testosterone replacement).

And lastly, exercise (specifically intense cardio) makes a difference. I find it very difficult to find the time and energy to actually get up and do it, but when I do for a couple of days, I can begin to feel a difference and my brain feels more functional. Hang in there, there is hope but it isn't always easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to d3xter404 For This Useful Post:
sciencer (05-02-11)
Old 09-04-11, 05:40 PM

Wombatteryguy is on a distinguished road

Try L-Theanine + caffeine: at least 400mg + one cup of coffee.

make sure you have something to eat first, drink the coffee than 10 min later, then pop the L-theanine back. For me this results in clear headedness, increased motivation and energy(constant throughout the day instead of crashing), quicker thinking, not to helpful in the working memory dept but cognition is slightly improved. I got this combo from a study so please keep in mind these two only work effectively due to them working synergistically.

Other musts:
Paleo diet
Intense cardio excercise
Lots of water(play around with different amounts and see how your body and brain reacts, 4L/per day does me good)

This doesnt get to the source of the problem but it helps me tremendously.
Old 09-06-11, 10:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,041 Times in 7,236 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall isn't the worst thing in the world and could be an option .....

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-28-12, 01:16 PM

marhzpz is on a distinguished road

Don't despair! I went through similar difficulties in college. It took me longer (6 years for a BS in Biology) because I could not take the normal academic charge. I lost most of my more expensive text books and even went to classrooms without knowing it was test day! I was lucky that most Biology txt books have pictures and diagrams that summarize or explain the concepts, because for me is really difficult to read also. I finally made it to grad school (PhD in Biochemistry). I did not took any meds until second year of grad school when I just realized I could not keep it. I think I was lucky in having a really good friend in my first year of grad school, she even help reminding me assignments ect. The sad part is that I realized late that bench work in a lab is becoming increasingly difficult for me, I keep making too much mistakes that cost a lot of money. This is the main reason I decided to keep on meds. Focalin XR works for me, it is not what you are asking for but at least for me it works (better than nothing). I understand about the fear of getting addicted, I even have problems dealing with social stigmas. The only people that know I am taking it are my boyfriend and my family.
Believe me TAKING IT IS BETTER THAN DROPPING COLLEGE.

I understand how difficult it is for you, specially when your closer work partner does not even believe it is really a condition that should be medicated and you end up not talking about it and keeping it for yourself. Dropping college is not an option!! Right now I am dealing with another conundrum, I can not have any job related with lab bench work, it has become really frustrating for me. So I have start looking for alternatives outside basic research.

Sorry for the almost one year late Replay
PS English is not my first language, sorry for any mistakes.
Old 03-04-13, 02:03 PM

ADDeight8 is on a distinguished road

Wow, I think this thread just changed my life! I identified with almost everything that was said. I am a college student struggling to get by too! I have been looking for answers for my symptoms and I think SCT is it. I have never been formally diagnosed with SCT, but I have been diagnosed with ADHD, and I never felt that diagnosis fit. I have been searching for treatment, but nothing seems to work. I've been on just about every medication for ADHD (adderall, adderall XR, rtialin, vyvanse, straterra, etc), but nothing seems to work. I also take medication for anxiety (lexapro), mood disorder (Lamictal XR), and sleep difficulty (Remeron;* - mainly because of the Adderall). I'm insecure about taking all the medications, but it has helped keep me afloat. I have also dealt with substance abuse problems, so I have to be very careful with taking Adderall, especially immediate release.

The one medicine that has probably helped the most with my SCT has been Lexapro. I think this is because my anxiety was wreaking havoc on my memory. In addition, it drastically reduced my anxiety and made me a lot happier. I was literally worrying myself sick.

Adderall XR made me too anxious, unless taken at very low doses. However, I don't know how effective it has been for concentration. It helps me sit for a long time, but sometimes I feel like my working memory was affected. It was really hard for me to write while I was on it. I think it also made it really difficult to do math problem, probably because of the working memory interference. I think it made me even slower too.

I take Adderall immediate release now, and it helps with some things. It gives me more of a "jolt." But, like others have said, it is far from a cure. I agree that it definitely takes a holistic approach. I agreed with whoever said to stay away from carbs, that's awesome advice. I need to get back on that diet. That's crazy that someone mentioned the gluten-free diet, because I have also wanted to do that. The only problem is that it is such a radical lifestyle change, and that seems intimidating and difficult to maintain. Also, I think omega-3 helps a lot. I try to get as concentrated as I can get, and take a lot of it. I think the liquid is the best option. I have taken Carlson fish oil liquid too. If you have a problem getting the gross fish burps like I did, the liquid helped that. And, if I did get them, it really just tasted lemon fresh, no fish. I used to take vitamin D too, but stopped taking, but since someone else said it earlier, I think I might start taking it again. I think exercise is really important too. I think it helped a lot when I used to exercise.

I also have been trying to meditate regularly and I think that has huge potential. It has definitely helped with my anxiety and depression. I have studied it extensively. I know it has huge, widespread effects (in fact, it is probably the most most powerful behavior/practice a person can have), but I'm not sure if it will help with SCT. One of the good things about meditation is that it takes a lifetime to master but it is the simplest thing to learn, and the drastic benefits occur with weeks of starting.

It was really encouraging to hear the story of going to graduate school (in Biochem. of all things!) with SCT! I am struggling to get some rhythm and consistency in school and started to get discouraged, but your post has made me more optimistic. I also found it helpful that you said to stay out of the lab because that has been a big concern of mine. I am getting in to a neuroimaging lab, and I don't know if I will have the same problems also. It is a huge fear of mine.

Thank you all for your advice. I didn't even post the thread, but it has been incredibly beneficial to read it.

P.S. this is my first ever forum post, so I apologize in advance if it is not correctly formatted and scattered.
Old 03-21-13, 05:19 AM
Jr Member

yunath is on a distinguished road

I'm on strattera right now, 80mg. The positive effects are subtle. After the negative effects faded, I felt like I had energy, a normal amount, and the mental fog was gone. But the effects are fading away after a month...still have problems with inattention, its only giving me a slight boost of energy like if I were to have coffee. Distraction and such still there.
Old 03-22-13, 01:31 AM
Jr Member

bretto2004 has a spectacular aura aboutbretto2004 has a spectacular aura about

Why do I have the feeling that if vitamins and exercise and eating healthy "cures" your SCT/ADHD then you do not actually have any of these mental disorders? Call me an ornery ******* but people with a true condition will not be helped by homeopathic or holistic "remedies". By suggesting b.s. can "cure" a mental condition are you not preventing a person from finding an actual medication from helping somebody? Put it this way...If a large percent of population can get by life by eating/drinking Mcdonalds and beer then what is so different about people with true ADHD/SCT that eating **** makes them feel like ****? Holistic and homeopathic "medicine" are prolonging the suffering period of people who actually have some kind of mental condition. You can try (as I have many times) diet and exercise, but realize that if you need glasses to see properly, then get glasses. I am all for something that might make you feel better for two weeks but for long term is going to work?
Old 03-22-13, 10:30 AM

mjthree is on a distinguished road

I joined this forum because of your post. Prozac helped me to get through college and law school. In second grade the teacher told my Mom that she thought I was just "slow," but I did better with my grades in junior high than elementary school, better in high school (about a B+ average), same in college, but 4th in my law school class.

I was depressed and anxious in college, truly floundering, which led to prozac and that has worked well for me. I was just diagnosed with ADHD-I at 39 years old after unravelling a bit when a friend died and I had a big case in a state Supreme Court to file at the same time. I have tried a low dose of concerta, but I am not sure if I will ultimately continue. It helps a lot with concentration, but it seems to increase my tendency toward depression, anxiety, and to cause irritability that has never really been much an issue for me in the past.

DON'T DROP OUT OF COLLEGE. The symptoms of SCT do not seem to go away, but you can become proficient at managing it. Keep working to find what techniques will help you to succeed. Try to avoid the word "should"-I should be able to do this, everyone else can find their car keys/socks, etc. I should be better. You can be better, but give yourself a break. You are walking up the same hill as everyone else, but with an additional 20-lb weight on your back that is invisible to other people.

What has helped me:

Prozac

EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE
(I started by getting on a stationary bike and reading because I had to be distracted to get myself to move. I find that yoga and weights are most helpful and if you can get yourself to an exercise class you can "borrow" the energy of people around you and work harder than you would otherwise. Motivation is always an issue. Reward yourself--I only allow myself to watch frivolous TV (not news or documentaries) if I am on an exercise machine. Period. Amazing how Iwill drag yourself to the gym to watch that next episode of big bang theory saved on the IPAD. Simple rules and rewards work well.) In this category I would also put masturbation. Don't go crazy with it, but it does release anxiety, stress, and + neurotransmitters. I swear.

SCHOOL TIPS
Tape lectures; ask for copies of the teacher's lecture notes (obviously explain diagnosis first). What I did in law school was ask to read the lecture notes again after class in the professor's office-even without a diagnosis, I just explained that I need to read it the words to really process it. Type notes and tests if you can. Most of us seem to have terrible handwriting. Team up with someone who takes great notes. Actually, become great at finding people who are strong in areas that you are weak and reciprocate in areas that you are strong. Maybe you are great listener, give good advice, bake wonderful brownies, whatever. Explain that you do sometime drop off the face of the earth because of the SCT so people will know about the social withdrawal when it happens.

OHIO
(I struggle with this all the time. But try to "only handle it once." Thinking about it helps me, even if I may never fully be able to practice it.)

DO WHAT YOU ARE GOOD AT
Stop trying to make yourself good at math if you suck at it. How I got through the math and science requirements at college--I took nutrition and found myself a friend/study partner whose boyfriend was a stats major. SCT is all about low arousal, so find something

Remember, the anxiety is a big part of most cases of SCT, so it is normal (whatever that is) with this disorder to think that you can't do it and to become anxious and want to avoid.

Be kind to yourself.

Cognitive therapy is helpful.

Good luck. You can have a career and happiness. I promise that it is possible.