ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 08-23-04, 07:30 PM
Jr Member

TowserTune is on a distinguished road
Question From Strattera to Wellbutrin?

Anyone have a successful move from Strattera to Wellbutrin? I've decided that the "male-specific" side effects ('nuf said!) weren't getting any better after two months on Strattera.

My only concern with Wellbutrin is insomnia that I had when I was on it a few years back -- 100 mg of SR 1x/day. Figuring that my dosage on XL will be either 150 mg or 300 mg, I'm not sure what to expect. I called Glaxo to inquire, they logged my adverse reaction from years ago, then said, "well, you might get insomnia again, but then again, you may not."

Interested in any positive experiences -- I know that WB isn't a first-line med for ADD, but I wanted to try it before moving onto the true stimulant meds.

TT
Old 08-24-04, 11:18 AM

ADD_Ed is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin helped me with lower dose Strattera

Wellbutrin has helped me overcome procrastination and paralysis of will associated with my ADD. I still take Strattera but dropped the dosage down a bit to the point where the side effects you mentioned are quite tolerable.

I tabe 150mg Wellbutrin XL along with 80 mg Strattera all in the morning and I have not experienced insomnia except for the first week or two which is to be expected with WB as it takes a while to adjust to taking it, right?

Good luck.

Ed
Old 08-24-04, 12:14 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
WB was quite stimulating for me and did cause insomnia. Other than the sleep issues though, I thought it was a very safe and side-effect free med... not nearly as scary as some others. And when you want to quit, it's no problem, just quit. I think the seizure risk is pretty rare but you should know about that if you don't. It didn't do a whole lot for me though.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-04, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Conlaw is on a distinguished road
I take Wellbutrin, and it helps the depression, but does nothing for procrastination or paralysis of will, nothing . It did, however, clarify for me that there was something more than depression going on. Even when the symptoms of depression lifted, the ADD symptoms persisted.

I experienced insomnia and appetite suppression at first. Neither lasted past the first month or so (wish the appetite suppression had!).

I think the risk of seizure increases with alcohol use. Susan
Old 08-26-04, 12:40 PM
Contributor

Stranger is on a distinguished road
I agree with Susan--helps the depression, but does nothing for the ADD. The insomnia persists, but if I take the WB at night I sleep a little better.
Old 12-03-04, 10:01 AM

MEH is on a distinguished road
I confer with comments below. I take Wellbutrin (150mgin the AM) to help with Depression becasue of my ADHD, and I get some sleeplessness (not exactly insomnia, I had that problem on DextroAmphetamine) I also take Strattera but can't tell if the "male side affects" are from Strattera or Wellbutrin. I just started taking the WB a month ago and it seems thats when "the probklem started" but it could just be timing beceause I have been on Strattera for 3 months (120mg now). I seem a bit happier so maybe WB helps.

at any rate my doc perscribed Risperdal (.25mg at bedtime) it helps but not enough becasue I wake up at 3 am and shuffle around in bed till 4:30 and fall asleep again. Might need a bit more. and I am checking with dioc next week
Old 02-11-05, 10:35 PM

allegro will become famous soon enough
Waking up more rested than ever!

I am having A LOT of side effects. Side effects that I haven't been able to find on this forum, but will keep looking.

The wellbutrin definitely helps my ADD. I noticed it the first day.

I have found that I am sleeping better and actually waking up well rested and not having to walk around in my usual coma for a half an hour to function.

Wellbutrin 300mg
Effexor Xr 150mg
Trazodone 50mg
Old 02-12-05, 12:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

abre los ojos has disabled reputation
Actually, the seizures that occurred with Wellbutrin were seriously overblown. In th beginning Wellbutrin was wrongly dosed, and it caused seizures in 8% of a small group of bulimia patients. At it's proper dosage, wellbutrin has a lower occurrence of seizures than the SSRI's. The XL extended release makes wellbutrin even safer.

As for efficacy, a 6 week double blind controlled trial showed Wellbutrin to work in about 1 out of 2 people. Stimulants work in 3 out of 4. The trial was relatively short, and could have been responsible for it's inferior effectivenss. Strattera has been shown to be about as effective as Wellbutrin.