ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 05-03-11, 01:02 AM

Areyouhappynow1 is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse unnaffective on Asians

My first time here so if I'm posting in the wrong area or something feel free to direct me else where.

Anyways, My Asian, specifically filipino, friend recently took Two 40mg Vyvanse pills and he said he felt practically nothing. and what i'm curious about is why? I may be wrong but to my knowledge Vyvanse is Lisdexamphetamine and I cant remember exactly but i think i read somewhere that Asians dont have a lot of a certain enzyme in their liver to metabolize the Lysine attached to the Amphetamine. Is this True or no? and is this why he felt nothing?
Old 05-03-11, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Vyvanse unnaffective on Asians

I'd say "False". Everyone has the ability to metabolize lysine. I'd say your friend has a decent tolerance to amphetamine.
Old 05-03-11, 09:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,301 Times in 7,703 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

If that were true, doctors wouldn't prescribe Vyvanse for an Asian patient. Although -- ahem -- it doesn't sound like the pills were actually prescribed for your friend, eh? Playing with serious meds and taking too much without titrating up is playing Russian Roulette.

If I'm reading that wrong and he was actually prescribed the meds, I very much doubt the doctor told him to start out taking that large a dose the very first day. Again, what an idiot.

And the reason there are so many forumulas and combinations of meds for ADHD is because one doesn't work for everyone. It's quite possible your friend would find another med more effective - assuming he actually has ADHD and wasn't just taking the pills for the uphoria or enhanced focus to study.
Old 05-04-11, 06:41 PM

fliparagon is on a distinguished road

Yup - agree with all the other posters' comments.

And to add my own, I'm of Filipino descent and although my dosage is a bit stronger after proper titration methods, Vyvanse is now working for me. Assuming that he was properly diagnosed and prescribed the medication by a professional, he may need to find the right dosage. However, if your friend as the other posters hinted, was not really diagnosed with ADHD and is just looking for a "high", Vyvanse is probably the wrong drug for him/her.
Old 05-05-11, 05:52 PM

Areyouhappynow1 is on a distinguished road

Just to clarify; He was prescribed, but he told me that 1 40mg wasn't working so he tried two and still felt practically nothing and when he told me that, I was really curious why it wasn't working. So, i looked up a conversion chart from Vyvanse to Adderall and it said that 80mg of Vyvanse is about 35mg adderall and i knew that was a really big dose for a new comer, and thats when I came here. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-05-11, 06:11 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 9,020 Times in 3,765 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

It may have nothing to do with your friend being Asian . . . some people metabolize drugs differently than others. There are people who require high levels of drugs because they metabolize very quickly, and others for whom a tiny dose will suffice. I don't know whether race has anything to do with that, but genetics certainly might.
Old 05-05-11, 06:48 PM
Jr Member

hubblybubb is on a distinguished road

Maybe your friend really thinks he should feel high like he would popping a couple adderall IR instead of just able to focus. Vyvanse is supposed to create more of a plateau than a peak from what I've seen in the literature.
Old 05-06-11, 07:50 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Alcohol makes asians have red faces because their bodies don't metabolize it the same way other races do. Alcohol also has a rather notorious effect on native Americans. Not sure what this has to do with Vyvanse. Maybe your friend should try another med... or try being another race. I'm caucasian and Vyvanse works just fine for me. Tell him to have his doctor switch him to caucasian.

Sometimes I can't help but let my ADHD mind run free a little.
Old 05-06-11, 08:52 PM

Kimmy1989 is on a distinguished road

Different medications may or may not work for different people. I'm asian, specifically Korean. Was born in korea, raised for a bit in korea and Vyvanse works perfectly fine for me. I also take adderall and that works so-so. This generalization of your one asian friend not being able to benefit from vyvanse and considering all asians are the same is a bit offensive.

My psychiatrist has told me once that some of her patients with an asian background only needed 1 dose of adderall IR and benefited from it all day. Adderall is temper-mental for me, only works when it feels like it.
Old 05-09-11, 05:01 AM

johnnyc00 is on a distinguished road

False. I am full asian and vyvanse works great. But the only problem is that it wears off in 6-7 hours. I have to take it twice a day. I think it might be because of my metabolism though, not my race. For some reason, some drugs don't show up on drugs tests for me(vyvanse, klonopin, ativan). When I was hospitalized and got a drug panel done, the doctor asked if I was selling my medication because everything came back negative. I had him take another drug panel before I got discharged, and it came back negative again EVEN though I was given ativan by a nurse 3 times a day who watched me take the meds.
Old 05-09-11, 11:43 AM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

My meds never show up on drug screens. I'm 6 foot 3 inches and 165 pounds. I've just always had a crazy fast metabolism.
Old 05-09-11, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,455 Times in 580 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...must have something to do with Filipino's apparently inherent ability to eat ANYTHING - never known one without a cast-iron stomach and taste buds that could probably shrug off hydrochloric acid.

Honestly, though, it's probably just not the right medication for him. One of my Filipino ADHD friends tried both Adderall and Vyvanse, and they both worked. He decided on Adderall eventually, just because he preferred the flexibility of IR instead of XR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Alcohol makes asians have red faces because their bodies don't metabolize it the same way other races do. Alcohol also has a rather notorious effect on native Americans. Not sure what this has to do with Vyvanse. Maybe your friend should try another med... or try being another race. I'm caucasian and Vyvanse works just fine for me. Tell him to have his doctor switch him to caucasian.

Sometimes I can't help but let my ADHD mind run free a little.
My guy is half Filipino - this cracked him up.