ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-03-11, 04:15 AM
Jr Member

rDodger is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Adderall XR... Peeing A LOT!

Hi guys! It's been quite a while since I was last here, but I've been recently running into some issues with frequent urination throughout the day if I take my Adderall XR (20MG). I've been to the urologist already, and they found nothing in the ultrasound, and then ordered a catscan which came up with nothing either... I don't drink a whole lot, and this is something that only recently came up (within the last month or so,) and I've been taking the same prescription for almost 3 years.

But I'm frequently needing to pee, and only a little comes out when I do (it's almost like my bladder doesn't want anything in it lol, as soon as I drink, 10 minutes later I'm peeing it out.) Like said, they performed an ultrasound and a CT scan, and both came back with nothing (no inflated bladder, or prostate.)

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue (and if so, what they did to stop peeing so much!)

I'm going back to the Urologist Wednesday, but I'm left with either stopping adderall, or just peeing a lot.
Old 05-03-11, 04:29 AM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice
Re: Adderall XR... Peeing A LOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rDodger View Post

Hi guys! It's been quite a while since I was last here, but I've been recently running into some issues with frequent urination throughout the day if I take my Adderall XR (20MG). I've been to the urologist already, and they found nothing in the ultrasound, and then ordered a catscan which came up with nothing either... I don't drink a whole lot, and this is something that only recently came up (within the last month or so,) and I've been taking the same prescription for almost 3 years.

But I'm frequently needing to pee, and only a little comes out when I do (it's almost like my bladder doesn't want anything in it lol, as soon as I drink, 10 minutes later I'm peeing it out.) Like said, they performed an ultrasound and a CT scan, and both came back with nothing (no inflated bladder, or prostate.)

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue (and if so, what they did to stop peeing so much!)

I'm going back to the Urologist Wednesday, but I'm left with either stopping adderall, or just peeing a lot.
Adderall dehydrates you so you should be drinking a lot more fluids than you normally drink, and what goes in must come out......

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 05-03-11, 05:25 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aald4x4 View Post
Adderall dehydrates you so you should be drinking a lot more fluids than you normally drink, and what goes in must come out......
I'm talking every 15 minutes or so I have the urge to pee... and this is somewhat new... I just didn't know if it was a side effect of the adderall, as it's starting to effect my work day.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-11, 09:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

HiddenHermit has a spectacular aura aboutHiddenHermit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'm talking every 15 minutes or so I have the urge to pee... and this is somewhat new... I just didn't know if it was a side effect of the adderall, as it's starting to effect my work day.
Its not a diuretic, if thats what you're asking. Caffeine does this, cleaning the liver and then making us urinate and have bowel movements. Its pretty simple as I believe, it makes you dehydrated, you consume a lot of water, then you urinate.

Dx: AD/HD Combined (ADHD + Mania)
Meds: 100mg Trileptal + Adderall 10mg IR + Xanax 0.25mg
Old 05-03-11, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Ha ha. This happened to me when I started Vyvanse, regardless of what I drank I was always peeing. I almost stopped taking it because of this but I didn't and it went awau after a week.
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
SpaceBaby (07-01-13)
Old 05-03-11, 03:11 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

It's a stimulant.
Too much over long periods of time will do that.
Just lay off of it for a month.
A month is a long time but its also good to lay off of for the brain and the body. Make sure you are eating plenty of protein during that month so your brain can catch up during withdrawls.
Old 05-03-11, 04:04 PM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskate19 View Post
It's a stimulant.
Too much over long periods of time will do that.
Just lay off of it for a month.
A month is a long time but its also good to lay off of for the brain and the body. Make sure you are eating plenty of protein during that month so your brain can catch up during withdrawls.
Not trying to hate on your post, but none of that is really true. I like taking drug holidays to give myself some time to recover, but a month is a bit overkill IMO. Also, I'm not sure that it's ever been proven that it's good for the body and brain to take a break from your meds. You might be right about the protein part, but I don't think so. Can you explain that more?

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshoppaa For This Useful Post:
winston137 (11-16-11)
Old 05-03-11, 06:57 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

Alrite here goes...

Taking a month off yes overkill but after 3 years of taking it, it doesn't seem that overkill afterall. The reason being is that amphetamines can deplete dopamine overtime and thus "not work" anymore. It takes time for your brain to make new dopamine and recover from the long use of amphetamines or to be specific physcostimulants (methamphetamine,MDMA,ritalin,) basically anything that has a strong stimulation on dopamine,norepinephrine,serotonin. Overtime the constant stimulation will deplete the these chemicals causing all sorts of side effects on the body. For methamphetamine withdrawls it takes months sometimes years for the brain chemicals to balance back and recover to its previous before drug use state. I've had personally experience with this because I had used adderall XR 30mg 3rd-5th grade and later switched to a bunch of different meds. Now I'm starting desoxyn and zoloft and im 16 almost 17.

Now back to the protein part.
Pretty easy to explain actually
Alot of non-essential amino acids must be supplemented into the diet during the entire month off. Why?
Well alot of them convert to the listed brain chemicals above and/or help rebuild or make new transmitters. This is probally the reason why having a high protein diet with adderall or any other prescribed AD/HD medication is what helps keep the medication from losing its potency or tolerance.

A basic example

L-Phenylalanine = L-Tyrosine = L-Dopa = Dopamine in the brain
L-tryptophan = Serotonin

Of course they go through different pathways to be converted into there listed brain chemical.
There is alot of others such as glutamine which can convert back to glutamate which converts back to GABA which is VERY important for the brain.

Oh yea and from personal experience stimulants effects (including lots of soda) effect me alot as in going to pee alot. I just laid off of whatever it was medicine caffeine etc. and it diminished. Anyways ask the doctor to lower your dose thats what I did.
Old 05-06-11, 11:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Mattskate19, How long does it take these meds to lose effectiveness. I've been taking them for over a year and I never notice the effects decreasing in intensity, just duration. Is this the same thing? My 40mg of Vyvanse lasted 12 hours initially, then it dropped to about six. We raised the dose to 50mg but that was just too strong and didn't extend duration at all. So we added a 15mg ir med when it wore off. Will effects eventually decrease or will I one day find the Vyvanse is only lasting an hour?
Old 07-08-11, 09:54 AM
Jr Member

My long awaited reply.. Thank you all for replying with some help.

It's SO strange, it really feels like I'm just dripping all day long. I noticed something even lamer today, and it's more embarrassing then that ;\.

I noticed that my lower region smells HORRID even right after I get out of the shower. Anybody have any similar situations to the above, and how I can get these things under control?
Old 07-08-11, 09:58 AM

nolagirl70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My long awaited reply.. Thank you all for replying with some help.

It's SO strange, it really feels like I'm just dripping all day long. I noticed something even lamer today, and it's more embarrassing then that ;\.

I noticed that my lower region smells HORRID even right after I get out of the shower. Anybody have any similar situations to the above, and how I can get these things under control?
um, maybe see your internist. smell + dripping= not good. i hate to even go here...but std?
Old 07-08-11, 11:01 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagirl70 View Post
um, maybe see your internist. smell + dripping= not good. i hate to even go here...but std?
Something like that would have shown up in my urine/blood work, and I've been tested before, not recently though. However no other indications here saying that I might have an STD :\.

I saw a urologist already about the peeing, and they found nothing wrong...
Old 07-08-11, 12:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,166 Times in 555 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

It could be some other sort of infection, get it checked out again. UTIs are an occasional side effect of Adderall, or it could be unrelated. Smells are a bad sign, so don't leave it.

I was peeing urgently on Adderall... I don't know what was going on, I thought maybe I needed a break. It seemed like I was just forgetting until it was almost too late. (I found that it diminished my "body" senses if you know what I mean... like my hunger, itches, etc.) I don't drink any more on it, still about 2.5 liters a day, and less caffeine. Anyway, I switched to Ritalin for a while, had no problems. Decided to take Adderall one day cos I hadn't sorted out the Ritalin dosage yet and needed to get stuff done... and the exact same problem came back. Weird stuff. I haven't found any information on it.
Old 07-08-11, 06:49 PM

nolagirl70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Something like that would have shown up in my urine/blood work, and I've been tested before, not recently though. However no other indications here saying that I might have an STD :\.

that's good....

also...i'm sure uro check you for dehydration too....can cause smelly urine. it's been two months since initial post...way too long for same symptoms. i'd get a second opinion.
Old 07-09-11, 02:45 PM

Proserpina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It makes me pee more too. Not to that degree though. . .

One thing you might try is laying off all caffeine, artificial sweeteners, etc.

Cutting out Splenda helped me more than anything.