ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 05-07-11, 06:35 PM

Madkatter has a spectacular aura aboutMadkatter has a spectacular aura about
How much weight did y'all lose?

Hi I'm overweight and I start meds on Monday and I was just wondering how much weight I might lose? I'm not taking medicine for that purpose but it isn't an unwelcomed side-effect I found out I had ADD when I was on a stimulant diet drug....it cured me mentally so I started doing research. I still have the diet drug and could get more whenever I want but I want to get to the "root" of my problems not just a quit fix...I did lose 60lbs on the diet drug but not because it supressed my appetite...it just made working out and eating right do-able.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-11, 07:04 PM

missworld is on a distinguished road
Re: How much weight did y'all lose?

Im on adderall since Nov. before that Stattera for a year. Lost about 5 pounds on Stattera. Then lost additional 17 with Adderall. I am now trying not to lose anymore weight or my DR won't prescribe it for me any more. To start I wasn't overweight at all but Adderall just made me want to drink water as to eat or smoke. However Im on a low dose of it and I don't take it every day. I went on a cruise a month ago, didn't take it any, ate so much food and yet didn't lose any more weight which is good.

I would suggest if you are on adderall make sure you eat when you are taking it, my head hurts during and after it wears off. Make sure you drink a ton of water as well. I wouldn't take adderall to lose weight.
Old 05-07-11, 07:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

theburr has a spectacular aura abouttheburr has a spectacular aura about

Hey Madkatter, love your name!

I know most people lose weight, but I guess my body is like me (stubborn) and I haven't lost any weight, really. I was on Vyvanse for about a half a year, and I gained a few pounds. I went on a restricted calorie diet and lost 10 lbs (I need to lose about 40 lbs more), but I don't think the medication did anything to help.

Vyvanse wasn't working out for me overall so I switched to Adderall a few weeks ago. Yesterday I caught sight of my profile getting dressed, and I realized my belly was as large as before the 10 lbs weight loss, even though the scale said I didn't gain any back.

Now that really ****ed me off, but I figured it's because I've been working long hours, sitting at a desk for too long (which I hate.) I just happened to see a thread on these forums last night about Adderall and bloating/GI problems, which I believe is the culprit. Today I made sure to eat before taking medication (I had been taking my meds before getting out of bed, but I guess that will have to stop) and I think the distended upper abdomen has gone down.

So, that probably has nothing to do with your question, but I wanted to put it out there that some people don't lose weight on stimulant meds, just so you won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen for you. When I started out on medication, I saw a few posts from people who also didn't lose weight, so I was aware that it might not happen for me. It's strange, though -- I am eating much better and have cut out alcohol, which should have made a difference. Guess that's part of hitting 40, and I'm going to have to start working out again. (Sigh.)

However, the majority of people do seem to shed some extra baggage, so there's every reason to be optimistic.
Jynical (08-16-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-11, 07:15 PM

Thanks so much. I'm just hoping the meds will give me the "follow-through" on going to the gym...I already have the motivation hah. Ugh...I hope I dont get any bloating...thats all I need to add to my long list of problems. lol. I am 28 and it seems like it is so hard to lose weight compared to just a couple years ago.
Old 05-07-11, 07:37 PM

elysie100 has a spectacular aura aboutelysie100 has a spectacular aura about

I've definitely noticed that I have less of an appetite while I take my meds. Once they wear off though, it's all back plus more probably. And it doesn't do anything for my desire to eat. So far I haven't lost any weight even though I could stand to lose some.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elysie100 For This Useful Post:
Madkatter (05-07-11), starry (01-10-13)
Old 05-07-11, 07:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmale is on a distinguished road

I've lost over 7lbs so far, in a bit under 2 weeks. When I started the meds I also stopped drinking caffeine/soda, and was 10+can a day drinker. I drink water now. I am eating less at each meal, and sometimes skipping a meal. Some days im hardly hungry at all, others I go from fine to starving I could pass out in 20 minutes.
Madkatter (05-07-11)
Old 05-07-11, 08:05 PM
Contributor

demfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to all

I haven't lost much, but I also haven't been on meds consistantly. What I've found is that the meds make me slightly less hungry, but mostly just unwilling to go to the "trouble" of eating. It's like I don't want to interupt the other stuff I'm doing just to eat, even though normally eating is the focal point of my day. So I often have a Slim Fast or a smoothie, which can help lose weight. I do try to eat something no matter what; otherwise I feel crappy later on.

The Following User Says Thank You to demfabbones For This Useful Post:
Madkatter (05-07-11)
Old 05-07-11, 08:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

theburr has a spectacular aura abouttheburr has a spectacular aura about

Make sure you're eating at least 1100 calories a day. Below that, the body slows metabolism down in response to perceived famine conditions, and burns fewer calories.

Of course, the meds speed up the metabolism, but overall you'll lose more weight if you eat enough. Ironically, ingesting calories burns calories -- you just have to get a calorie deficit going.
Jynical (08-16-12)
Old 05-07-11, 08:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

ILADHD will become famous soon enough

Been on Adderall for 13 years. I'm about 30 pounds heavier now than when I started, so you can say I've gained 2.3 lbs a year. What are you taking, phentermine?
I reached the wrong ends, by the wrong means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfcnpJRf0Q
Old 05-07-11, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,040 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkatter View Post
Hi I'm overweight and I start meds on Monday and I was just wondering how much weight I might lose? I'm not taking medicine for that purpose but it isn't an unwelcomed side-effect I found out I had ADD when I was on a stimulant diet drug....it cured me mentally so I started doing research. I still have the diet drug and could get more whenever I want but I want to get to the "root" of my problems not just a quit fix...I did lose 60lbs on the diet drug but not because it supressed my appetite...it just made working out and eating right do-able.

Thanks!
I lost about 8 pounds in 2 weeks on concerta. I just wasnt hungry.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
Madkatter (05-07-11)
Old 05-07-11, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of

Ive lost 10 pounds in 5 months. That`s only because my medications helped with self control with eating...nothing to do with my ability to go to the gym. Truth be told, controlling your eating is more important for weight loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronball For This Useful Post:
Madkatter (05-07-11)
Old 05-07-11, 11:19 PM

I'm not on phentermine anymore (I chose to seek out WHY the phentermine helped so much)....But yes I was on phentermine and it was great! And I too found that I just could not be "bothered" by eating. I would get too focused on working or something. I also drank slimfasts just to keep from starving.
Old 05-08-11, 06:38 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Scooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud of

I've been on concerta for a couple of years now and my weight settled at about 5kgs lower.
I still find that I'm not hungry during the day but I have breakfast every day, usually a snack during the day, then dinner, then I crave carbs in the evening....not a good habit!
Old 05-08-11, 11:25 AM

Working2Change will become famous soon enough

On Straterra, none. Then I switched to the regular Adderall and lost interest in eating - was down to one meal a day. I haven't gotten on a scale, but my pants and skirts are all loose.

However, I switched from Adderall to the Adderall XR, and am finding it does not decrease my appetite nearly as much. Right now I take Adderall XR in the morning, and at 2 pm take a regular Adderall to get me through the workday which sometimes continues until 7 or 8 pm right now. I eat maybe half a banana in the a.m. when I take XR. I'm finding that by 11 a.m., I am starting to think about eating BUT when I get home from work I am not as hungry as when I took just the regular Adderal twice a day.

As you can see from the various answers here, some people have lost weight on various meds, and some have not. Seems like it is highly variable - just like the fact that not everyone benefits greatly from the same medication.

It's possible that once I have been on the meds for a while (I'm still not even at 3 months with the XR) that the appetite suppression will end, so I'm not going to have any of my work clothes taken in or buy any smaller casual clothes yet.
Old 05-08-11, 12:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,040 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

It begins to get scary the first few weeks on meds if your side effect is loss of appetite. At first i was happy to shed the weight but then i was worried at the rate of weight loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
abcd123 (12-02-12)