ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-08-11, 11:44 PM

masud786 is on a distinguished road
Does Adderall improve memory?

I think my main problem is memory atm. I can read a sentence, and i won't be able to repeat it right after :/
(I walk into a room and forget why i even walked into it for)

will adderall help with this? ((this is mainly for school)
Old 05-09-11, 12:37 AM

Downix will become famous soon enough
Re: Does Adderall improve memory?

No memory changes, but it may help you concentrate enough to retain the memory you have already.
Old 05-09-11, 02:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

StarStuff will become famous soon enough

That's a big symptom of ADD, I believe. I used to read a full page of a book and not have any idea what I read immediately after. That's not a memory issue as much as an attention issue, though. If you read something not paying much attention, you're much less likely to retain what you've read than if you gave it your full attention. Adderall will definitely help you with this.

I'm writing a research paper on how NMDA receptor antagonists such as Memantine can reduce and reverse the effects of amphetamine tolerance, as there is little scientific publication on this subject. It can help convince one's psychiatrist to consider prescribing it. I will share it when it is finished, but for now here is my general explanation on how it works.
my post on page 31 of the Memantine thread
and a separate individual thread.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-11, 10:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by masud786 View Post
I think my main problem is memory atm. I can read a sentence, and i won't be able to repeat it right after :/
(I walk into a room and forget why i even walked into it for)

will adderall help with this? ((this is mainly for school)
Not exactly, Adderall WILL help you concentrate at the task at hand. By actually giving everything you have at the task at hand - there is a possibility that you will remember what you've learned.

In my opinion and experience, I have found a SNRI called Effexor, to majorly help boost memory and cognition. I'm not sure if memory is related to serotonin or noepinephrine, but, I am able to remember what happened yesterday and the day before... This just started this week, and, I'm on the 6th week of the medication.

Anyways, besides medications here are some things you can do to help your memory overall.
  • Get adequate sleep. If possible in the dark hours. Daylight affects melatonin production, which, in turn affects sleep. You may be able to sleep during the day, but, that doesn't mean you are getting a restful sleep. If you don't enter REM, you're simply letting hours fly by.
  • Drink plenty of water. - Recommended: Half your body weight in fluid oz.
  • Maintain a moderate diet. Cutting out as much sugar, and processed foods if possible.
  • Excercise. - If you lack the energy, a simple walk around the block 1x a day 5x a week. Increase the amount walked then progress to running.
  • Moderate stress - if possible.
  • Think positive - our feelings / thoughts impact our bodys physiology.
  • Use a organizer & calendar. Write down your priorities / assignments that are due that week. Our brains like structure.
Old 07-30-13, 04:36 PM

adhdpatient7 is on a distinguished road

Adderall definitely boosts memory for most people, according to scientific studies. Just search on Pubmed or Google Scholar for "stimulant memory" or "amphetamine memory", all the studies show that stimulants boost memory in both healthy volunteers and ADHD patients. The boost is often more dramatic in ADHD patients.

It could be argued that stimulants boost memory indirectly, by boosting attention. If you pay attention better, then you remember better. This is not necessarily a helpful distinction.

I personally find that amphetamine boosts my memory. It is especially good for the following memory symptoms:

1. Forgetting why I walked into a room

2. Forgetting the entire paragraph that I just read

3. Forgetting to do something (e.g. send an email before I leave the house)