ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-10-11, 08:00 PM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road
Medications that help with aggression/anger/irritability/agitation

So I'm sure a lot of ADHDers have issues with controlling how often they get angry at little things, or maybe they get agitated on stimulants, which medications have you used or heard of being effective for aggression/anger/irritability/agitation/etc?

Feel free to post off-label medications of course
Old 05-10-11, 08:14 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road
Re: Medications that help with aggression/anger/irritability/agitation

That varies alot from person to person really.
But, for me I am a VERY aggresive and angry person for years and years even while taking medication (ever since the 3rd grade now in the 10th) I would have to say...

Vyvanse
Desoxyn (currently now on. the best medication iv'e tried and i've taken every single AD/HD medication except for focalin)
Intuiv

And...
Nicotine the best at calming me down and it helps ALOTTTT.
Old 05-13-11, 08:01 PM
Contributor

No more replies? I thought this was a very common problem among ADHDers
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-11, 08:30 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,136 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Celexa was good for me. It kept me from experiencing rage but yet it also allowed me to have emotions. I wasn't flat on it. But after 13 years, it was kinda pooping out. Concerta was terrible, Prozac was awful. Adderall is okay. I'm not angry or seem to get as angry when I take it.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 05-13-11, 08:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,190 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

Abilify is what took away all my aggression,anger,agitation & wild mood swings.I've had no side effects even though a lot of people have bad side effects.
Old 05-14-11, 12:33 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
Abilify is what took away all my aggression,anger,agitation & wild mood swings.I've had no side effects even though a lot of people have bad side effects.
I tried Abilify but it hasn't worked for me, I titrated up to 15 mg/day with no positive and no negative effects. I'm thinking of trying another atypical antipsychotic but they seem to have more issues than Abilify such as weight gain, higher cholesterol/sugar/estrogen levels, etc...
Old 05-14-11, 02:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold

Zoloft, Zoloft, Zoloft, Zoloft, Zoloft. Try it at 50-100mg, it will help.

If it makes you too fuzzy, add Wellbutrin.

Propanalol is also very commonly used to offset the physical anxiety and tension caused by amphetamines and has a virtually non-existant side effect profile. It worked for me for about three months before I finally had to add an SSRI before my anxiety / frustration made me nuts.
Old 05-14-11, 08:20 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by siglerja View Post
Zoloft, Zoloft, Zoloft, Zoloft, Zoloft. Try it at 50-100mg, it will help.

If it makes you too fuzzy, add Wellbutrin.

Propanalol is also very commonly used to offset the physical anxiety and tension caused by amphetamines and has a virtually non-existant side effect profile. It worked for me for about three months before I finally had to add an SSRI before my anxiety / frustration made me nuts.
I've tried Lexapro and Celexa with no luck, I doubt Zoloft would help. I have bipolar tendencies, but I can't take really take any mood stabilizers besides lamotrigine and ablify as they have way too many side effects and are bad for cognition. Not to mention bad with side effects means they lower Adderall's potential.
Old 05-14-11, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,190 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu_d View Post
I tried Abilify but it hasn't worked for me, I titrated up to 15 mg/day with no positive and no negative effects. I'm thinking of trying another atypical antipsychotic but they seem to have more issues than Abilify such as weight gain, higher cholesterol/sugar/estrogen levels, etc...

I take 30mgs daily.Why don't you try & increase the Abilify to see if that would help you.I also take Paxil 60mgs. along with the Abilify.Good luck.
Old 05-15-11, 05:34 PM
Contributor

Macavity224 is on a distinguished road

Benzos work wonders, although I try to avoid those like the plague since the rebound is awful. I've been on SSRI's with no luck (and a ton of unbearable side effects), but I'm considering switching to something specifically formulated for anxiety like Buspirone or Gabapentin. Does anybody else have experience with these medications?
Old 05-19-11, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold

Have you tried Gabapentin? Bipolars use this in combination with Adderall at times when they can't use mood stabilizers. Also, Propanalol might help as well - It helps take the edge off of stimulant medications and might help. It might not be the healthiest route, but I started smoking again to deal with my moodiness and agitation.

If you've tried the SSRI route to no avail, you could try benzos, but it isn't really a very enjoyable path to go down. You'd be on the two most addictive psych medications (Adderall + Benzo) and both lessen in effectiveness over time.

Another option could be removing Adderall entirely for another ADHD medication. Wellbutrin is a little less "activating" and can help with focus, but when I used it without an SSRI I got a little nutty. It is bipolar-friendly, however, so maybe it could help.
Old 05-21-11, 05:17 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Have you tried Gabapentin? Bipolars use this in combination with Adderall at times when they can't use mood stabilizers. Also, Propanalol might help as well - It helps take the edge off of stimulant medications and might help. It might not be the healthiest route, but I started smoking again to deal with my moodiness and agitation.

If you've tried the SSRI route to no avail, you could try benzos, but it isn't really a very enjoyable path to go down. You'd be on the two most addictive psych medications (Adderall + Benzo) and both lessen in effectiveness over time.

Another option could be removing Adderall entirely for another ADHD medication. Wellbutrin is a little less "activating" and can help with focus, but when I used it without an SSRI I got a little nutty. It is bipolar-friendly, however, so maybe it could help.
I haven't tried Neurotonin yet, I didn't know it was considered to be an effective mood stabilizer. I tried Propanolol and it didn't help. I used Lamotrigine for a while, it didn't help with the Adderall-induced agitation but it did clear away my depression, something SSRIs failed to do. However, I got multiple rashes from it and I had to stop it. Maybe sometime in the future I'll do a re-trial with a slower titration schedule. I have not done a trial of Wellbutrin but I hear it's not bipolar-friendly as it provokes agitation/mania/rapid cycling just as much as stimulants do.
Old 05-22-11, 03:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Aspie101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Wellbutrin had literally no effect on my focus. If its bipolar I'm gonna say Adderall with Gabapentin or another mood stabilizer (though most mood stabilizers take a **** on your liver over time thus why you'll need blood tests allot) if its just minor agitation or moderate I'd say Adderall XR with Clonazepam 0.25mg in the morning and 0.25mg at night. If that doesn't work I could see Seroquel XR being used but it sort of contradicts the dopaminergetic effects of amphetamines as it blocks allot of the neurotransmitters adderall works on just like all antipsychotics.
Old 05-22-11, 05:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Abilify can take away your ability to live, stops aggression, but stops pretty much everything. Xanax and Klonopin can help, but it can also make you more aggressive. Beta blockers worked best for me, taking a Vicodin from my wisdom teeth removal helps me too.
Old 05-22-11, 06:03 PM

Distruzione is on a distinguished road

Tegretol and Depakine also could help ...