ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-11, 11:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,039 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
Cool Chadd membership and local meetings

I signed up tonight to Chadd and was wondering if anyone in this community is also a member? They have a free membership but also charge a small fee for annual membership. The site has a local chadd meeting but i am kind of suspect to the whole thing. Has anyone ever gone to a local chadd meeting?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
Flory (04-15-12), Fuzzy12 (04-15-12)
Old 05-11-11, 04:06 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,662 Times in 787 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future
Re: Chadd membership and local meetings

chadd is a reputable organization, at least in Canuckland
Old 05-11-11, 09:14 AM
Contributor

Redrightnow has disabled reputation

I intend to join my local chapter. I meant to go to the last meeting before summer break but I wrote it down on "Tuesday" in my planner and it was actually on Monday this week. I was hoping to meet some people quickly and get some advice but now will have to wait until fall. again.
I'm curious about it, too.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-11, 10:04 AM

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,039 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Yeh they have meetings at Barry University 1rst thrusday of everymonth. Seemed interesting so im planning on going. So noone has been at an actual chadd meeting?
Old 05-11-11, 10:06 AM

Thanked 15,300 Times in 7,226 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be very interested in attending a CHADD meeting, but there aren't any in my area.
Old 04-15-12, 05:16 PM

Thanked 11,019 Times in 5,262 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting.

Great thread by the way!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
TheChemicals (04-15-12)
Old 04-15-12, 05:25 PM

Thanked 6,853 Times in 3,397 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

There are none available close enough for me to attend. They do sound interesting, though, and I've read good things about CHADD in the forums. I think it'd be worth checking out.
TheChemicals (04-15-12)
Old 04-15-12, 06:09 PM

Thanked 3,406 Times in 1,822 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

i've been trying to find something like this in my local area too but coming up short, its mostly just for parents >.<

TL;DR .....cliffs please :|
Old 04-15-12, 06:42 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 7,701 Times in 3,406 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Echoing what Florence said, see if you can find out about the local meetings (from the website or by calling one of the contact people).

Some CHADD groups or meetings are very parent-oriented, while others actually designate meetings or a separate meeting space for adults with ADHD, or alternate weeks, or have speakers that address some adult-specific issues. Others meet with everybody together (which is good, I guess, if you're an adult with ADHD with a child with ADHD...). It seems to vary a lot by region and by who the local coordinators are at any point in time.

I haven't been to local group meetings recently -- have moved a bunch -- but when I was about 14 I went to a CHADD national conference when it was held in my hometown (well, not the real conference, which was expensive), where I met up with a bunch of people I'd only known from chatting online, and we had pizza, and it was awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (04-15-12)
Old 04-15-12, 06:47 PM

jcmil777 is on a distinguished road

I went to one in Las Vegas it was held at a church there was about 10 people it was okay most of the people there were for their children with AD/HD. The message was good it was just a little bit to long. The meeting lasted about an hour an a half and for me after about 45 minutes for me I am bored and ready to go. If I was you I would check it out It was nice to be around people that have been affected by AD/HD good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmil777 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (04-15-12)
Old 04-15-12, 07:15 PM

Thanked 3,406 Times in 1,822 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

thanks namazu i'll look into that.

JCMill...sounds like it was a ritalin-must affair..was it 1 and a half hours of just being talked at ?

TL;DR .....cliffs please :|
The Following User Says Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-15-12)
Old 04-16-12, 02:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

Book_Addict will become famous soon enough

I want to join.... but I don't get the whole fee thing....

I just need to talk sometimes, so I go here....

"I prefer to distinguish ADD as attention abundance disorder. Everything is just so interesting . . . remarkably at the same time. Frank Coppola, MA, ODC, ACG

Offically diagnosed on 9/26/11 with Attention Deficent Disorder- Inattentive type, and a Mathamatical Disability (LD)

Meds: Pending....looking for a doctor
Old 04-16-12, 07:40 AM
Contributor

KCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud of

For anyone looking for local ADHD meetings, meetup.com is another great place to find them.

"I wouldn't have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally."
--- Prof John Nash: Nobel Laureate in Economics, Schizophrenic, subject of "A Beautiful Mind"

Old 04-16-12, 11:12 AM

Thanked 2,177 Times in 914 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

It was so funny, when i read this I was thinking, how in the WORLD do you get ADHD people to remember a meeting, show up on time consistently, and who in the world chairs it or manages any bookwork for the organization? LOL.

I think it is a great idea though i would go to such a meeting! I would like to talk to others who understand my experience.

In other news, i went to the CHADD website and there is an AMAZING story explaining how and why ADHD med shortages occur that I would like to share with others. Very, very interesting (and it is short and in paragraphs so i read it in ONE sitting!)

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 04-18-12, 10:11 AM

DistractedDude has a spectacular aura aboutDistractedDude has a spectacular aura about

I joined CHADD a couple of months ago.

My intent in joining was to start a local CHADD Satellite where I live. There is only one support group near me and it is over 30 minutes away.

The reason there is an annual fee for an organization like CHADD is that they do have a full time paid staff. In CHADD, I think their actual paid staff is under 50 but I am not sure. Another reason to pay for a membership with CHADD is that they do a lot of advocacy and lobbying on the behalf of ADDers.

If you feel like signing up and there isn't a support group nearby, start a support group. There is information on their website on how to do it and what forms you need to fill out.

Have a great day!!!

"Even if you fall on your face, you are still moving forward." ~Robert C. Gallagher