ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 05-13-11, 09:19 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

nevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of light
What does it mean to make yourself (vulnerable) to another person?

So I was having this discussion last night in which I explained that it's hard to care for a person I don't even know. I mentioned that the care would come naturally once the relationship is established, but not before.

Then this woman BR549 wrote the following and disappeared:

Quote:
"Well, it will be hard to get to the point where a relationship is intimate unless there is caring to begin with. There's more to intimacy than sex. You have to take the time to get to know someone. You also have to expose a little of yourself to the other person as well. You have to make yourself a little vulnerable. Otherwise a true, intimate or loving relationship can't form. Everyone has to but themselves out there. Sure, you might get rejected, and yes, it might hurt. But how else are you going to learn how to have a relationship if you don't do that?"
Can someone please explain to me what it means to make yourself vulnerable?

• How do you make yourself vulnerable?
  • And why do people expect you to make yourself vulnerable?
  • Can someone please give me an explanation?
  • Why would I like someone just because they show vulnerability?
  • Is the idea to show the other person that you are not a threat to them?
  • If that's the case, how come I've never perceived people as being a threat to me?
I don't need anyone to make themselves vulnerable in order to make me like them. It's not like I was under the impression they were flawless...
Old 05-13-11, 09:58 AM

rioch is on a distinguished road
Re: What does it mean to make yourself (vulnerable) to another person?

I don't know the full context of the conversation you had, but I'll try to answer anyway.

I wonder what you mean by care for someone. I think for different people it could mean different things. Do I care for a stranger? I'd like to say yes, but when you compare any kind of caring for a stranger to caring for someone who is important in your life (a friend, your partner, a teacher) there is likely to be a stark contrast between the two.

I suppose that caring for a stranger means treating them with the same politeness, decency and respect that you would a friend. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll disclose intimate details of your life to them, but it does mean that you're able to give them the same warmth and friendliness as everyone else.

Making yourself vulnerable sounds like something you'd do if you want a relationship to develop into something closer. Being vulnerable means showing what is traditionally considered your weaker side. For example, telling someone when you're scared, nervous, or anxious about something.

Sharing your more vulnerable side allows people to connect with you on a more personal and emotional level. It also shows the incredible amount of trust you have in that person, because you're sharing something that exposes you to being hurt.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rioch For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-13-11), RedHairedWitch (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 10:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,363 Times in 7,822 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think it means revealing yourself flaws and all to someone for love and acceptance and also accepting the other person. You kind of have to decide if you can can past any flaws they do have and love them anyway

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
metzfanaz (05-13-11), nevermore (05-13-11), RedHairedWitch (05-13-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-11, 10:17 AM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,137 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

uh, check the other thread.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-13-11), sarahsweets (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 01:46 PM

Thanked 8,303 Times in 2,790 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

A bunch of things. The big one (for me) is being totally honest with someone. Which means that if they reject you, they are rejecting YOU. The real you.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
metzfanaz (05-13-11), nevermore (05-13-11), peripatetic (05-18-11)
Old 05-13-11, 02:19 PM

Thanked 17,363 Times in 7,822 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Yes consult the other thread you made.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BR549 (05-13-11), nevermore (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 02:27 PM

Kara593 will become famous soon enough

I think you are stopping yourself and making it harder than it really is or needs to be. Okay you have ADD and other issues, but you should not let it disable you anymore. You always seem to have problems, not solutions. Just stop making excuses and get out there!

40mg Adderall
2mg Klonopin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kara593 For This Useful Post:
metzfanaz (05-13-11), nevermore (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 04:11 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,616 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

I think he is preparing to do this. These threads are such a good thing and he needs to keep coming back here. He has made so much progress and we are all learning so much from these threads. it's epic to me, honestly.
The Following User Says Thank You to tired1823 For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 05:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

nevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliee View Post
I think he is preparing to do this. These threads are such a good thing and he needs to keep coming back here. He has made so much progress and we are all learning so much from these threads. it's epic to me, honestly.
what are you learning from these threads?
Old 05-18-11, 12:39 AM
Jr Member

tergesa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliee View Post
I don't know. I'm not convinced the poster's anything other than a troll. The jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to tergesa For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-18-11)
Old 05-18-11, 02:53 AM

islandgrrl is on a distinguished road

I'm confused. Why is nevermore starting a new thread in the Women with ADD/ADHD section? Wouldn't it be more appropriate in the Relationships section, or elsewhere on the forum?
nevermore (05-18-11)