ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-14-11, 05:59 PM

Rush is on a distinguished road
Adderall makes me sleepy/tired

Every time I take adderall, 2 hours in I get sleepy/tired and can just put my head down at a desk and sleep. I was at a concert and the music felt good but I could just close my eyes and felt somewhat sleepy.

This has happened on 10mg 2 times a day for 20mgs a day, then bumped up to 20mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening for 30mgs a day. I can sleep very well on adderall.

Also my head feels really calm like I can control my thoughts soo well. But there's an inconsistency in my body. I can feel my heart beat in my body and in general my body does not feel calm at all.

Does anyone else have these things happen to them? I've been reading and doing searches on this topic but no one follows up on how they dealt with it. Would dexedrine possibly remove the sleepiness? I know that Ritalin and concerta don't have any effect on me.
Old 05-14-11, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,454 Times in 579 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall makes me sleepy/tired

I just encountered this - after having been on CorePharma for three months, I had to switch pharmacies and now I'm taking the Barrs. At 15 - 20 mgs of CorePharma, I'd occasionally get a little sleepy, but it would pass. These Barrs though - I took a 10 mg last night and went to a metal show at a local club, and I was literally falling asleep with my head on my guys shoulder. I managed to tough it out til about 11:30. and then I had to go home. I was the DD, so I was worried that I'd be too tired to drive.

Even taking 5 mgs this morning still conked me out for almost an hour. I'm really unhappy with this, because I have a sense of restlessness in my feet and legs even when I'm practically falling asleep - my feet will be going on a walk all over the bed but my eyes won't stay open.

The CorePharma was working really well for me, too. I'm trying to figure out what might help - if I find something I'll be sure to post here.
Old 05-14-11, 08:37 PM

I have tried the brand name Barrs from CVS for the 10 mg's and 20mg CorePharma. The sleepiness does not pass on either. I took a 20mg at 6pm and felt very sleepy by 11am but I could feel my heart beating fast so that kept me up.

I hope you do let me know what your solution was. Everyone who posts seems to be experiencing the problem currently but never a followup on how they dealt with it. I'm thinking about asking my pdoc to try dex when he gets back to me next week.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-11, 09:46 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

The same thing happened to me! It was strange because everyone was saying that it'll give me energy etc. but it made me sleepy and tired. I've switched to Vyvanse and have no problems like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to 425runner For This Useful Post:
Rush (05-14-11)
Old 05-14-11, 09:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,454 Times in 579 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
The same thing happened to me! It was strange because everyone was saying that it'll give me energy etc. but it made me sleepy and tired. I've switched to Vyvanse and have no problems like that.
That probably comes from the difference between ADHDers and NTers who take Adderall - we get slowed down, and they get sped up. It doesn't really give you extra energy, just a little oomph in focus, concentration, etc.

I'm hesitant to try any kind of XR, and my doctor prefers me to stay on IR for personal control of when I take it. I will definitely keep up with posting if I find anything that helps.
Old 05-14-11, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimei View Post
I'm hesitant to try any kind of XR, and my doctor prefers me to stay on IR for personal control of when I take it. I will definitely keep up with posting if I find anything that helps.
My sentiments too. I too would not like to take an XR medicine if I can help it, since if it does work and I wake up late or something, I don't want that to be a discouragement from taking the medicine for the day. But if dex does not work, I will try Vyvanse. Hopefully I can get organized in my life enough to set a proper sleeping schedule by that time. I'm glad I have some direction to take this.
Old 05-15-11, 03:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

I've never found the medicine to slow me down in the traditional sense. Instead, I find that my racing thoughts seem to become sharp, clear, and distinct from one another instead of a tangled, manic mess. This makes them feel very calm, though I would hesitate to say my thinking is slowed (I'm not sure that would be a desireable effect for me, as my "quickness" kinda make me, well, me).
What do you guys mean by "slow thinking?" Do you mean you don't notice your thoughts as much? Like they are less intrusive? I definately get that. D-amp alone seems to have a slowing effect on my mind that can be nice at time (Vyvanse is a great sleeping pill, lol) but the mixed salts in Adderall do seem to energize my mind. That is the effect I'm going for. It allows me to direct the potential of the mental lightning storm in my head.
D-amp alone (in my Vyvanse) seems to do what I always imagined Valium or Klonopin was supposed to do. Benzos make me nervous and aggressive (as speed is supposed to). However, while this paradoxical reaction to uppers and downers is common to alot of ADHDers it is far from universal and for me is very dose dependent. A lower dose of Vyvanse (or even coffee) seems to make me hyper and buzzy but a higher dose makes me a slow, lethargic, anhedonic zombie. The right dose - bliss!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 05-16-11, 11:18 AM

patti p is on a distinguished road

i, too, can totally fall asleep after i take adderall. i take 20mg 2 -3 times a day, as needed and i am never kept awake by it. i am assuming it is because of the "hyperactivity" part of the add, as anything "speedy" calms me down. good luck
Old 06-30-13, 01:04 AM

student1234 is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

I realize this is an old thread but I think I've found out what causes the fatigue for me personally. Recently I took about 5mg to study and found myself was laying in bed wondering "why the hell am i tired from adderall."

I'm 24 years old about 180lbs, 5.9 and i'm a smoker. For a long while in college I was using IR/XR on and off for studying purposes. I would feel mild euphoria and increased attention/productivity. However, within the last year those effects have significantly decreased and I find myself fatigued more often than not. Sure, the first suspect is tolerance, but I don't use daily and I often would use VERY small amounts 2-5mg a day. Even at higher doses 15-30mg I feel an initial boost but the fatigue sets in heavy after a couple hours.

Here's what i think is happening for me.. my cardiovascular fitness has plummeted within the past few years due to smoking, lack of exercise and bad eating habits. Whenever I take a adderall xr/ir now my heart will go racing and it seems like my cardiovascular system can't handle it. To put it simply, i'm not getting enough oxygen for how hard my heart is pumping so it leads to mental fatigued.

I came to this conclusion after taking a bit of piracetam to counteract the mental fatigue since it supposedly increases oxygenation in the brain. Clarity returned shortly after, however I can't really say that is what truly happened.

This is all conjecture and may be case specific but I thought putting it out there might encourage people to examine their physical health before assuming whether or not the drug is effective.
Old 06-30-13, 04:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,201 Times in 7,309 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

its hard to compare how adderall works as a treatment option when it is just used for studying as opposed to being used for symptoms that impair your life in multiple areas/

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
24chico (07-14-13), ibuprofen (03-27-14)
Old 07-08-13, 02:38 AM

cyberflaneuse has a spectacular aura aboutcyberflaneuse has a spectacular aura about

My experience might be useful to some: I've found that IRs make me tired while XRs don't at all. It's bizarre, because I can take 10 mg IR twice a day and feel like I took sleeping pills or something, but a 10mg XR (so, half the dose) makes me focus. A 20mg XR actually keeps me from sleeping.
Old 07-08-13, 04:11 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of

I've found that all formulations of all the ADHD meds I've tried over the years have made me very relaxed from time to time. Sometimes I'll even fall asleep for a bit.

I've been on the long acting and short acting versions of Ritalin, Dexedrine and Adderall. I've also been on Vyvanse but not for that long.

I think this happens because it calms down my thoughts, they go from racing to still and sometimes this can lead to me feeling very relaxed and nearly asleep.

I've never been able to find any consistent pattern to explain why or when I'd get this effect but it happens from time to time.

I think that when my anxiety is really high I get very stressed out, and when I take my meds my anxiety nearly disappears. I think the sudden drop off of anxiety may be the reason why I will feel like lying down and closing my eyes, it's like the relief is so extreme that it allows my body to finally relax. Idk, I'm just guessing as to why this happens.
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDinHDefgHi?! For This Useful Post:
OrendaQuest (11-18-13)
Old 07-12-13, 06:17 PM

cyberflaneuse has a spectacular aura aboutcyberflaneuse has a spectacular aura about

Update: i switched to 15xr once a day and I'm still sleepy.
Crazy how a 15 can make me tired but a 20 can keep me up all night.

Tht said, which is the "right" dose?
Old 07-14-13, 04:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

20...cant work if you're asleep ;-)
Old 07-16-13, 05:28 AM
Contributor

arxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
I've never found the medicine to slow me down in the traditional sense. Instead, I find that my racing thoughts seem to become sharp, clear, and distinct from one another instead of a tangled, manic mess. This makes them feel very calm, though I would hesitate to say my thinking is slowed (I'm not sure that would be a desireable effect for me, as my "quickness" kinda make me, well, me).
What do you guys mean by "slow thinking?" Do you mean you don't notice your thoughts as much? Like they are less intrusive? I definately get that. D-amp alone seems to have a slowing effect on my mind that can be nice at time (Vyvanse is a great sleeping pill, lol) but the mixed salts in Adderall do seem to energize my mind. That is the effect I'm going for. It allows me to direct the potential of the mental lightning storm in my head.
D-amp alone (in my Vyvanse) seems to do what I always imagined Valium or Klonopin was supposed to do. Benzos make me nervous and aggressive (as speed is supposed to). However, while this paradoxical reaction to uppers and downers is common to alot of ADHDers it is far from universal and for me is very dose dependent. A lower dose of Vyvanse (or even coffee) seems to make me hyper and buzzy but a higher dose makes me a slow, lethargic, anhedonic zombie. The right dose - bliss!
It doesnt slow me down at all,but it allows me to slow down my speech,if I choose,which I try to. My thoughts are just as fast as they allways are. Racing thoughts are not a problem,racing thoughts jumping from track to track are. With the adderall I can keep it on one track. Ordinarly I have problems unless its doing certain tasks. Reading I can stay on,for the most part,but some things can pull me away with the meds. Ive asked some of my freinds and they say they speak about as fast as they think. Im sure glad I don't get slowed down,because Ive realized that my speed of thinking is a very important part of my intelligence. Its why I can read so fast,and rapidly solve problems. My short term memory is crap,and I cant stay on task,but if I can,I can chew through problems.

We check each others paperwork for hours at work,and I find I can get a packet checked in 15 minutes,while others take hours. Honestly,if I couldn't do that,I would be in trouble,because I always end up waiting until the last minute,and I waste most of my days,so if I couldn't do tasks fast,Id be fired for not getting them done at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to arxonius For This Useful Post:
ferrarl (10-24-13)