ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-18-11, 08:29 PM

peter1234123 is on a distinguished road
I was prescribed Adderall IR for Adult ADHD, and it works, but I have some weird side

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Adult ADHD, and when I take the Adderall, it's like night and day: I used to be hyper-active and jitter a lot, and I could not sit still (at work, school, etc), I could not focus on things for a long period of time AT ALL, I'm 19 now, and I have NOT done homework since third grade (wasn't diagnosed because I went to a Catholic school with 50-70 year old nuns as teachers, ADHD? Yeah right) . I scored 2030 on my SAT, but managed to leave high school with only a B-/B average. Now that I take the Adderall, I don't jitter, I can EASILY sit still, (I wrote a 6 page paper without even getting up! It amazed me). My boss commented on my better work ethic, my better focus and my new-found ability to sit still! I have two issues with Adderall: the fact that it wears off within 2.5-3 hours, and the side effects: the ones I can stand don't bother me at all: appetite suppression (I just eat in the morning before and at night), and dry mouth (I just drink more water). The side effects that bother me actually set in after the Adderall wears off (sometimes, very rarely during) those side effects are: anxiety (I feel anxious for no reason, never happened to me before!) paranoia (I always check behind me, randomly, in fear, then realize it's the Adderall wearing off), and the worst one is the muscle tension! All of my muscles feel pulled extremely tight (not pain, exactly, just tension)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on an alternate drug to ask my doctor about, similar to Adderall? Or any suggestions on something he can add to alleviate anxiety and muscle tension (I hope there's one drug for both, I don't know though.

The dosage might be too high, but I don't think so...the muscle tension, anxiety, paranoia don't kick in until after the Adderall wears off. I read somewhere that it was because one of the drugs in it is inactive in the CNS, but causes extensive PNS stimulation, I don't have a clue about anything relating to drugs though (haven't been on anything besides antibiotics). I don't feel euphoric or anything when I take it, which makes me wonder why anyone would abuse it, I just feel calm, not so hyperactive, and I find it easier to get work done. A lot easier.
Old 05-18-11, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,497 Times in 3,874 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I was prescribed Adderall IR for Adult ADHD, and it works, but I have some weird

How long have you been taking it? Sometimes the side effects wear off. I used to get throat pain and shakiness but it wore off. And how much are you taking? I'm guessing a small dose seeing as it wears off every 2.5-3 hours.

The paranoia thing sucks. Every since I got hyperacusis (before I went on meds) my hearing is really sensitive and messed up. So sounds really freak me out.
Old 05-18-11, 08:41 PM

Re: I was prescribed Adderall IR for Adult ADHD, and it works, but I have some weird

My pdoc started me on 2 15 MG instant release tablets per day. But honestly I think I need the XR pills.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-11, 10:28 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

Do you consume anything besides water near the time of taking a dose or at all during the duration of the effects? Anything with high amounts of ascorbic acid?
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 05-19-11, 08:29 AM
Contributor

Macavity224 is on a distinguished road

I use the supplements L-Tyrosine or L-Phenylalanine to ease the stimulant comedowns. They're both Dopamine precursors (the main neurotransmitter than Adderall/Ritalin/related stims affect). I don't understand the way the drugs work 100%, but from my understanding, comedowns happen because the stimulant uses up most of the Dopamine in your brain. So when the drug wears off, you're left with almost nothing. If you use the supplements, there's more Dopamine, and that gives you a smoother comedown.

Also, I posted a similar topic in the Ritalin forum about muscle tension/jaw clenching. You might find something useful in there:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102630
Old 05-19-11, 02:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold

Exact same situation here with Adderall, I found that the downcycle and effects after the initial euphoria when I started the medication were extremely harsh and got to a point where the negatives vastly outweighed the positives.

It is possible that you had depression or anxiety before that you "treated" with ADHD - Escapism, day dreaming, only focusing on enjoyable stimuli, etc. Adderall might provide a strong enough uplift to work through these when it's active, but the comedown is obviously causing some problems.

You have a few different options. If you're on IR, you could switch to XR, which has a gentler letdown and longer duration of effects. You could discontinue Adderall in favor of another medication, but you're probably not going to get the same positive effects - There's a reason why it's the premier stimulant medication.

You can try Propanalol, which has been used with great success to ease the physical agitation and muscle tension caused by stimulants. Gabapentin also is used and has a relatively low side effect profile, but unfortunately makes you a little retarded.

You could also try an SSRI or NRI, which is the route I took. My final diagnosis was ADHD with depression and anxiety, so I ended up adding Zoloft at 75mg and Wellbutrin at 150mg. Wellbutrin and Adderall alone made me too agitated, Adderall and Zoloft alone made me too blunted and unmotivated, but combined it's been pretty good. Wellbutrin acts on dopamine and also treats ADHD, and helped eliminate the awful stimulant crashes for me. You may even find that it treats your ADHD well enough to get off of Adderall entirely.

Abilify also acts on dopamine and has been used in combination with stimulants in low doses with some success.

The addition of a medication to treat the increased anxiety can muddy the waters a bit, but you have to decide if the benefits of Adderall are worth the increase in negative side effects. I'd strongly recommend that you avoid benzos.

A lot of people will suggest the addition of Tyrosine and other dopamine boosters, but keep in mind that this will also eventually wane in effectiveness and there is limited medical data on the positive and negative long-term effects of these combinations. Dopamine is an extremely sensitive and complicated chemical and playing around with it can lead to more problems than you started out with.
Old 05-19-11, 07:13 PM
Contributor

siglerja is definitely right about the supplements - I should have mentioned that there isn't really much factual evidence for them working, I'm just speaking from personal experience.
Old 05-19-11, 07:33 PM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

Well, if the muscle tension is your worst side effect then you should be ok because it should go away as your body gets used to the medicine. On the other hand, the anxiety and paranoia probably won't go away as easily, but it might. I'd recommend sticking with your current dose for a month or so to see what happens.

FYI: I'm not a big believer in supplements, but I also get anxiety, and I can tell you with certainty that taking magnesium supplements helped my anxiety A LOT.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 05-19-11, 10:19 PM

I would take the dopamine precursers but I'm a little worried... A lot of dopamine=skitzophrenia-like symptoms if I'm not mistaken... Anyway my doctor gave me an extra 15 IR a day, he said split it in half and take half whe the second wears off to ease the anxiety related to withdrawal. You had to see the pharmisist's face... I got my 60 pill 15mg script filled 10 days ago an the new 90 today (to make sure I didn't lose the script on doctor's instruction) they had to verify with the doctor and get a prescription insurance override. Oh joy 30 minutes of waiting haha.
Old 05-19-11, 10:27 PM
Contributor

Yes, too much Dopamine is one of the causes of certain types of schizophrenia, but you'd have to take a LOT of those supplements to induce a psychotic episode.
Old 05-19-11, 11:11 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

Your muscle tensions COULD be coming from

The comedown of adderall (low dopamine but the levoamphetamine is still stimulating your body) therefore anxiety, muscle tension etc.
Old 05-19-11, 11:33 PM

kgloverii will become famous soon enough

I took Adderall for 5 years and the muscle tension never went away. I tried the supplements, and pairing with Tenex, but no relief. Dexedrine was the switch I needed.
Old 05-19-11, 11:59 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgloverii View Post
I took Adderall for 5 years and the muscle tension never went away. I tried the supplements, and pairing with Tenex, but no relief. Dexedrine was the switch I needed.
Once again the Levoamphetamine...
Old 05-20-11, 12:12 AM

But I wouldn't just go in and ask for Dexedrine first of all I'd seem like a drug seeker (which Im not, I have a respectable job and go to college) and second of all the doctor is a bit older... His two drugs of choice are Ritalin and adderall. He started me on adderall first (thank god, I heard the side effects of Ritalin are baddd) but also, is 30 mg a lot to be started on? 30 mg a day total moved up to 45 now?
Old 05-20-11, 12:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

If you don't want to ask for Dexedrine go with Vyvanse. While it isn't a perfect med (it doesn't work well for everyone) I personally chose it over Adderall XR for my primary and would not switch back. I still need the l-amp though as it seems to enhance my personality and creativity where Vyvanse's d-amp alone took it away. So I have IR Adderall as well. GREAT COMBO for me! Vyvanse is very smooth and almost entirely mental after the first week or so (no pns stimulation, i.e. muscle tension, jaw grinding). However, Adderall users who switch to Vyvanse or Dexedrine often feel something is missing. I don't get many physical effects from Adderall except that first tingley, "skin is coming alive" feeling in the morning. No complaints here.
I will admit that Adderall is much easier to tolerate with the help of Vyvanse. It just sort of smooths everything out. You'll see that word "smooth" mentioned frequently in conjunction with Vyvanse.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)