ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-19-11, 09:57 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road
modafinil vs adderall

Anybody have any experience with both?
In which one was the better for you?
Old 05-19-11, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: modafinil vs adderall

Been on both for about 4 years now. Actually I switched from Provigil over to Nuvigil now (basically same thing). Adderall is much stronger and more effective for treating ADHD.

Provigil is much milder and really doesn't give much benefit for attention and focus. It wakes you up without getting jittery. Some people use it because they can't tolerate amphetamine or methylphenidate. I use it fight off daytime sleepiness and I take Adderall to handle the ADD issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
burger (01-08-16)
Old 05-19-11, 10:16 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

Yea that's what I was hoping.
From what i've read around the internet modafinil is like a cup of coffee that last through out the day. I have ADD very severe and was diagnosed whenever I was in the 3rd grade. I've been through every single ADD medication except desoxyn. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and im choosing between desoxyn and modafinil. I just hate being "druged" up all the time for soo many years (im in the 10th grade now). I want to handle my ADD on my own and not in a pill but its VERY hard without a psychostimulant medication. I might just switch to Adderall IR, Modafinil and only take the Adderall IR whenever needed. I just hate being "druged" up all the time I don't want to be like that for the rest of my life I want to accomplish school and jobs without medication but without a psychostimulant its VERY VERY HARD to complete daily tasks. Soo, i'm hoping to get on

*Adderall IR (whenever needed)
*Modafinil
*Cymbalta (for depression, unmotivation, social anxiety basically the "side effects" from ADD besides paying attention)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-11, 12:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Wow man, you're in tenth grade and your doc is trusting you with Desoxyn?! No judgement on my part, good for you man, I was just under the impression most doctor's wouldn't trust mother Teresa with a methamphetamine script. Can you give me some info on how that conversation went down? Just curious. I'm not intersted in Desoxyn myself as I'm very happy with my current regimen, I just can't imagine what doctor would be rational enough (lol) to realize a 16 year old can and will abuse any stimulant just as easily as Desoxyn if they choose.
Really man, to be a fly on the wall in that office...
And seriously, Desoxyn or Modafinil? Is that a real question? "Alright now son, would you like a Porche or a Pogo stick?"
BTW, if you pick the pogo stick your problems are a lot deeper than ADHD. JK, but really...

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 05-20-11, 06:01 AM

Thanked 22,817 Times in 10,036 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby is on provigil for narcolepsy and add it seems to work.
Old 08-23-11, 02:14 AM

toogled is on a distinguished road

modafinl did nothign for. Even at 6 100mg AUS brands. Guess im messed.

Old 08-23-11, 03:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

kolaborator will become famous soon enough

IMO, Modafinil, while useful is really a strange med, and I think it will be a while before we fully understand how it works.

Before Adderall, I tried Modafinil (Modalert) at 100mg per dose, and while I could not clearly"feel" it working, I never had to hesitate during conversations and my coordination was superbly improved.

I could tell stories, some truly intricate ones even, that would take 15 minutes to tell. Without it, if something takes more than 30 seconds to explain I usually do not bother at all. When playing basketball, I was able to think about my shot and movement midair, I was in total control.

On the other hand, when I took 200mg at once, I would just lie in bed and think about whatever I wanted. There was such a constant stream of thought that it felt like my imagination could actually fool my brain into physically enjoying the thoughts as if they were happening. Truly strange experience.
Old 01-05-16, 10:22 AM

handshaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
Been on both for about 4 years now. Actually I switched from Provigil over to Nuvigil now (basically same thing). Adderall is much stronger and more effective for treating ADHD.

Provigil is much milder and really doesn't give much benefit for attention and focus. It wakes you up without getting jittery. Some people use it because they can't tolerate amphetamine or methylphenidate. I use it fight off daytime sleepiness and I take Adderall to handle the ADD issues.
Hey, have you noticed the increase in duration of Nuvigil vs Provigil?

There is a study here that indicated this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24450538

Thanks
Old 01-07-16, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post

You said that you have switched from Provigil to Nuvigil, can you tell me more about this switch please, because my doctor has mentioned the same thing, but i'm reluctant to change.

I understand that it last longer (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19663523) did you find this also?
Old 01-08-16, 08:48 AM

Finally made my first order of Artvigil, really excited to switch over

Little worried, but [the site i used has] many reviews on reddit and supplement police???

Last edited by peripatetic; 01-08-16 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: edited to remove commercial link per guidelines
Old 01-08-16, 03:10 PM

Thanked 25,905 Times in 11,684 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by handshaker View Post
Finally made my first order of Artvigil, really excited to switch over

Little worried, but [the site i used has] many reviews on reddit and supplement police???
Why did your doctor have you go through a site? Was that cheaper to fill your prescription?
Old 01-09-16, 11:12 AM
Jr Member

ChadRadwell will become famous soon enough

I've never taken Modafinil, but based from what I've read, Modafinil is much better than Adderall.

But I think a lot of people talk about it from an abusing point of view. I'm new to Adderall, and didn't feel jittery when I first took it. I was started on 20mg, but only felt awake, clear mind, & motivated.

Modafinil also seems to be a medication aimed towards people who are like 25+, from what I've viewed and read.

It seems to be a great medication. I hear it isn't addictive like Adderall can be.

I've heard a lot of bad stuff concerning Adderall, but mostly positive feedback from people who have tried Modafinil...
Old 01-10-16, 03:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Funky1 is on a distinguished road

I'm curious about modafinil, been on adderall for almost a month and I'm still not quite sure if it's right for me. I'm still working on my dose, but it's been quite a delicate dance between horrible side effects and any remote sense of improvement. I'm waiting on a sleep study to confirm my suspicions concerning sleep apnea and narcolepsy, once that is complete I plan to look into the modafinil as it will then be approved and covered by my insurance.
Old 01-10-16, 03:27 PM

Thanked 22,817 Times in 10,036 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRadwell View Post
It seems to be a great medication. I hear it isn't addictive like Adderall can be.

I've heard a lot of bad stuff concerning Adderall, but mostly positive feedback from people who have tried Modafinil...
The fear of addiction is misguided. Addiction is likely with long term, high dose abuse of adderall. Modafinil is provigil and was made for narcolepsy. It used to be prescribed off label for adhd until this one case of Stevenson Johnson syndrome happened which was later debunked, but the FDA wont budge.
Like I said my husband takes it for narcolepsy and adhd and it works well.
If you are reading anything on the internet about adderall being this big bad medication you ought to check your sources. The natural market has a large stake in getting people scared about meds, combined with the Scientologists who think meds are no match for auditing. When things like medications work well, there arent many motives to publish and blog about them. Its a whole lot more interesting to fear monger.
Old 01-11-16, 04:00 AM
Jr Member

gonzolo is on a distinguished road

Modafinil is truly an interesting drug. If you take it and then go to workout at the gym, you can go for hours on the cardio machine and have what seems like infinite endurance.

If you work out first, and take modafinil right after, it seems it gives you "super human" problem solving abilities and you are able to articulate yourself and talk in a very clear and well educated manner and hold a prolonged and intelligent conversation on autopilot.

It lasts more than the whole 12 hours. Sometimes, you don't feel it at all, other times you feel extremely unnatural and uncomfortable.

The main problem with it: Because of its long half life, it will intefere with your ability to get deep sleep. This will mess up your hormones very quickly, and in males will shut down testosterone production for a few days and absolutely kill your sex drive.

The half life means it will stay in your body for days after you take it. It is very potent as well. Some times you can take 200mg and it will make you tired and un able to sleep. Sometimes just 25mg to 50mg will be the sweet spot and will work best with few side effects.

Overall I definetly prefer the more tried and true drugs. Modafinil feels extremely unnatural. It turns you into superman for the first day you use it, but then you will be off point for the following 2-3 days feeling tired and weak from lack of sleep. It definetly beats out amphetamines in terms of nootropic/ ADHD treatment capabilities, but it can't be used (at least by me) more than 1 day in a row.