ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-03, 09:09 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
Question Y2039?

I am fairly new to this site but I have already noticed that (1) while my profile lists my DOB as 9/11/51, (2) when I click on MEMBERS and select my own handle, it shows a DOB of 12/31/69.

As a UNIX admin, I suspect that the innards of this website is run off a UNIX/Linux server, and that this accounts for the date misrepresentation.

All "UNIX" systems clock time in seconds from 1970, and so the faulty DOB really = 0 (or -1?), or "Does not compute" or "This guy is older than UNIX! What a geezer!".

BTW, in 2039 (I believe), the UNIX world might end up having its own little version of the Y2K festivities due to this peculiarity. Start holding your breath now!

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD
Old 05-22-03, 09:38 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Well, it looks like Forums is giving you a choice of birthdates...you either get September 11 OR New Years Eve.....interesting choice, huh? Listen V. Inceptor -- you sound VERY bright...would you like I should hire you to build me a computer!! I'll bet you would do a great job....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 05-23-03, 03:48 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Y2039?

Quote:
Originally posted by vinceptor
I am fairly new to this site but I have already noticed that (1) while my profile lists my DOB as 9/11/51, (2) when I click on MEMBERS and select my own handle, it shows a DOB of 12/31/69.

As a UNIX admin, I suspect that the innards of this website is run off a UNIX/Linux server, and that this accounts for the date misrepresentation.

All "UNIX" systems clock time in seconds from 1970, and so the faulty DOB really = 0 (or -1?), or "Does not compute" or "This guy is older than UNIX! What a geezer!".

BTW, in 2039 (I believe), the UNIX world might end up having its own little version of the Y2K festivities due to this peculiarity. Start holding your breath now!
Thanks for pointing this out. This is apparently a known problem in forums using this particular software. Not sure if its specific to Unix or not. I'll bring this to the Forum Owner's attention. Thx.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-03, 08:18 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
Wink Addendum/amendment...

Just in case anybody might actually have gotten alarmed about my last comment in the original post:

Actually, the 2039 situation is probably never going to happen, because newer "UNIX" versions and hardware that already exist can represent bigger numbers of seconds in the system clocks, and the problem could well be postponed "forever" long before 2039.

P.S. Please do not fear, I will not make a habit of pontificating about this stuff in an AD/HD forum. There are perfectly good fora elsewhere about "UNIX" that people could join if they really cared.

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD
Old 05-24-03, 12:11 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Was referring to the birthday year issue, not the Unix Y39 thing, but thanks nonetheless.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.