ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 05-20-11, 07:07 PM
Jr Member

angelakj is on a distinguished road
Wanted to share our Amantadine experience...

Hello - I am new to this forum but I felt obligated to post our experience with the drug Amantadine.

Our son had great difficulty completing packets of work in Kindergarten. His focus issues became much worse in 1st grade despite his teacher's best efforts using weighting, sitting on a ball instead of a chair, oral stimulation with gum chewing, etc.

We were VERY reluctant to accept a diagnosis of ADHD. He could chase the same butterfly for an hour and had no behaviorial issues so how could he have ADHD?

At Christmas break in 1st grade we started him on 18mg of Concerta which worked very well for him until early in 2nd grade. We increased his dose to 27mg and he continued to do well. His work improved but personality changed and the medication wore off long before soccer practice or homework and there was the weight loss.

In 3rd grade he again outgrew his dose and we tried 36mg Concerta which turned him into a zoned-out zombie. They switched him to Aderal-XR(?) and he developed a horrible vocal nervous tic which frightened us. He had started telling me he was sad and didn't know why. The combination of side effects became unacceptable and we resolved to remove him from medication.

He came off the meds and did pretty well at first. We did alot of work at home with identifying his distractions and helping him learn to recognize them and control them. It didn't work.

His grades declined, his focus was non-existant and he was a distraction in class losing work, falling out of his chair, not being prepared. Studying for tests was awful and he was VERY resistant to instruction.

I got Dr. Hallowell's book Delivered From Distraction and read the section on Amantadine. I was extremely anxious to give this a try. Once I finally broke through the barricade of nurses to actually talk to my son's doctor, I was able to show him the book and let him read it for himself. He had not hear of it's use for ADHD but he was familiar with the medication. He said there were no severe side effects he knew of and it had been on the market for a long time.

He wrote us a prescription and said "good luck" and let him know how it went. I did contact the doctors Dr. Hallowell referred to using Amantadine and they were unwilling to comment or instruct me on dosage without seeing my son - that was understandable.

The book said they start children at 25mg and go up 25mg at a time untill a result is observed. We started our son on 20mg. What made the Amantadine very attractive to us was that it is a syrup and increasing the dose gradually is very easy. I increaded his dose by 5mg not 25mg. At 40mg we started to see improvement. He stayed at that dose for a month and then I increased it to 45mg.

Let me tell you what happened. First of all, we realized our son had been very depressed and although we are very involved parents and extremely in tune with our children - we missed it. I may never get over that.

I have my child back. He is funny and goofy and he tells jokes and LAUGHS and speaks in English accents and he is joyful again. There are no tears when we study - he is cooperative and he gets the answers right.

This week alone he got a 100% on his Spelling test, a 100% on his Science quiz, a 100% on is Science test, a 120% on his Math test (two sections enden up being too difficult and most of the class missed them - he got them right and received extra credit), he got a 95% on his reading test. Amantadine lasts the entire day if it is taken daily. He is focused and able to work or compete in sports no matter how late in the day it is.

He has gained 7 pounds (he's now 68 pounds) since mid-March. He moves fast to follow instructions instead of dragging and wandering around on his way.

Is he perfect? No. We have our days and we still work on identifying distractions. I still have to repeat instructions and he doesn't always follow through on things. The difference is that what we deal with now is normal "boy" issues and normal for a 3rd-grader.

I love having my child back. He's happy, he feels good about himself, he's more alert and his grades are better. He has no trouble falling asleep and he has a great appetite.

I don't want to present this drug as a magic cure - it isn't. I know we will have to watch for signs that we need to increase his dose but when we do need to adjust it I know we can do so gradually.

Another thing we have done is to remove antihistimines from his daily routine. We treat his allergies with Singulair. I also give him fish oil Swirl by Barlean's because

I have read ADHD children are lacking Omega fatty acids even though we are very healthy eaters. It turns out he is also gifted and has been recommended to the GATE program at school.

My advice to you is to be your child's advocate - fight for them. If you think something isn't working - it probably isn't. My cousin is trying to get his son on Amantadine and his doctor has flat-out refused to even try it. He is looking for a new doctor.

I am so glad we looked for another answer. We work on his focus issues at home and he takes Amantadine. Right now it's working. Good luck to you all. I hope this ends up helping someone out there.

Angela

Last edited by Turbochica; 05-20-11 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: paragraphs inserted for easier reading
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to angelakj For This Useful Post:
aarondev (01-23-12), addparent4 (03-05-13), alan1 (07-17-12), beltoller (07-24-12), BlessedMommy (05-18-14), cillovely (09-12-13), happytexas (05-21-11), JamalJ (07-12-12), littlepig (08-17-11), LynneC (01-19-12), Ms. Mango (06-04-11), MuscleMama (05-21-11), Notafadd (06-25-11), qanda (07-17-12), Seaweed603 (01-09-13), Stevuke79 (09-04-13), vikasjura (05-26-14)
Old 05-20-11, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,560 Times in 2,135 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wanted to share our Amantadine experience...

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for posting such an interesting and informative post about your son.

Could you please try to break your posts into paragraphs so they are easier to read and not so overwhelming

Thanks in advance for doing that!

TC

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Old 05-21-11, 04:52 AM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

I think another regular poster is also using amantadine for her son, I'm sure she'll post. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-11, 08:22 PM

Thanked 4,164 Times in 1,846 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

Hi angelakj, my son is also on amatadine. It's working for my ds as well and I'm glad he's on it.

I was interested in your post because your son is on a low dose of amatadine. I read Hallowell's book and thought that was a misprint because, while my son also started at 25 mg., he is on a dose that is significantly higher; > 300 mg/day. My son's neurologist is the one sited in the book.

My son was very hyperactive and aggressive. He was very anxious in school. He was suspended numerous times in K and 1st grade. Standard ADHD meds didn't work well for him--we couldn't get to a truly therapeutic dose with either Adderall or Ritalin.

For anyone who is curious, amantadine is an anti-viral (now totally ineffective). When used as an anti-viral, in the days before flu shots, it was found to also reduce tremors in patients with Parkinsons disease. Today it is prescribed to Parkinsons patients and MS patients to help fight fatigue. It is usually prescribed to adults at 200 mg/day with an upper limit of 400 mg/day. I couldn't find anything to support a dose of over 400 mg/day in these populations when I researched it--generally if these patients could not find symptom relief at the upper end it was due to disease progression and the medication was stopped altogether.

There is very little information about amantadine use for ADHD. I could only find a few articles in Google Scholar. None that administered more than 150 mg/day. The abstracts also do not explain the titration process that is vital for this med to work.

Amantadine is an NMDA antagonist--it blocks glutamate receptors in the brain.

Here are some of our pros and cons:

Pros:

>It works. YMMV, can't say it will work for every child, but it's been a lifesaver for us.
>My son has few side effects. At the dose he is on it does surpress his appetite a bit and does cause insomnia but neither to the extent that he was when on 5mg of Adderall.
>The med works 24/7. Sometimes DS is a bit nudgy when he wakes up and again right before his afternoon dose but it's usually not too bad.
>It comes in a syrup and also in capsules. Easy to dose for kids. DS doesn't like the taste of the syrup but our CVS will add grape flavoring that he finds tolerable.
>It's not a stimulant if that sort of thing concerns you.
>The patent on amantadine expired decades ago--it's cheap.
>It can be used as a stand alone medication for ADHD or with a stimulant if necessary.

Cons:

>It's off-label for ADHD. Some physicians will not prescribe meds off-label.
>There is a very specific titration process that MUST be followed. It is not well described in Hallowell's book. If you don't follow it you will not see results from this med. We started at 25 mg/day in May of last year and did not get to a therapeutic dose until the end of August. Each time you titrate up you must wait at least 4-7 days, preferably longer, to see if that dose works.
>During the titrate up process DS experienced lethargy. He fell asleep during the day quite a bit. He was lethargic for a few days after each titration up; then the lethargy would subside.
>This med works best when dosed at fairly precise times each day--am and pm. Not only did we have to find the best dose for DS, we also needed to find the best time to administer the pm dose. Initially, our dr. said to give it with dinner, but we found that DS did best with his afternoon dose at 4pm.
>There are no drug holidays with this med.
>There is a very narrow therapeutic window for this med. For DS, 25 mg. either way and he looks like he isn't medicated at all. That's why it's so important to follow a very gradual titrate up. Get it wrong in either direction and you will be convinced that the med doesn't work.

The first thing we noticed during the titration process is that DS was less hyper (even after the lethargy was taken into account). Next he was less physical with us and eventually the hitting stopped. At this point he was still defiant and verbally abusive towards us. Finally, when we reached the correct dose for DS, the defiance and verbal abuse stopped altogether. When school started, after the first few weeks, he became less anxious in the classroom.

If anyone is interested in an adult's perspective please take a look at this thread.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80317

It is about Memantine, a medication prescribed primarily to slow the progression of alzheimers. Memantine is also an NMDA antagonist, though and has been prescribed for OCD and has shown promise in combating amphetamine tolerance. I believe several of the adults on this thread who are taking Memantine have lowered the amount of stimulant meds they are on or discontinued them altogether. Their insights were very helpful to me during DS's titration process because they did a great job of describing the effect the med was having on them.

Both of these meds need to be better known in the ADHD community.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
aarondev (01-23-12), beltoller (07-24-12), littlepig (08-17-11), Lv2sleep (06-06-11), namazu (10-17-11), Notafadd (06-25-11), purpleToes (12-27-11), qanda (07-17-12)
Old 06-05-11, 07:50 PM
Jr Member

Ms Mango - I am so glad it is working for your son as well. We were very lucky in getting an effect at such a low dose. My son is very mild so maybe that is part of it. I really think he'll be able to go off meds eventually given maturity and proactive identification and control of his distractors. I know as a child I had it and struggled during college. If I had know what it was I think I would have been able to overcome my difficulites. Right now - this is what works for him.

I know stimulants work really well for others and would never discount their success in some children. In MY child - stimulants were destroying him. I watched him fade away physically and emotionally in front of my eyes. His personality is amazing and I haven't seen it in a really long time.

I wish more physicians would consider this as an option for treatment. I also wish there was more information out there for physicians to refer to in prescribing amantadine. Everything I know about it is from the book. I have a lot of lab experience so I understand gradual titrations etc. but it was never explained how important that is for this med. We got lucky that it worked. Your son is on a really high dose and it's good to see that even at that level the side effects are not prohibitive.

Thank you for the feedback. Encourage your doctor to write a paper on administration of amantadine for ADD/ADHD. If more information were out there I think more people in the medical community would embrace it.

Thanks again!
Angelakj
The Following User Says Thank You to angelakj For This Useful Post:
Ms. Mango (06-05-11)
Old 06-05-11, 08:54 PM

Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

DS's dr. says he's planning on writing a paper. He has 20+ years of experience prescribing amantadine, so should have some good data.

One of the benefits of amantadine coming in a syrup is that you can really customize the dose. This is something that seems to be lost in the studies where participants are prescribed various round amounts like 50, 100 or 150 mg. Your son for example is at 45 mg. If he were in a study and given 50 mg. that might work for him--or that additional 5 mg. could push him out of his therapeutic window. Were that to happen he'd be marked as a non-responder and you'd chalk it up as yet another failed attempt to find the right med.

DS's doctor said he has a lot of kids who don't respond until at least 200 mg.--those kids would also all be non-responders based on the published studies. Also, even if you could find a dr. willing to try amantadine, it's unlikely that any would be willing to prescribe amounts > 150mg. because there's nothing currently in the literature to support safely doing so.

So yeah, a paper supporting safe, effective dosing at higher amounts would really make a difference in whether or not physicians would consider prescribing amantadine--especially for kids like our who don't respond well to stimulant meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
aarondev (01-23-12)
Old 06-06-11, 12:17 AM
Jr Member

I would be curious to know how many patients your doctor has responding well to low doses (<75mg) and how frequently the dose is required to be increased.
Old 06-06-11, 09:10 PM

Can't answer the first part of your question with specific numbers, but he did tell me that he starts everyone off at 25mg. because he does have responders at < 100mg.

As to the second part of your question--DS has been at the same dose since August. He's gained back 6 pounds lost while on Adderall and grown over 1/2 inch.

Last December he was acting a bit defiant at home. Then I got feedback that he was having a little difficulty at school and in his afterschool program too. I asked both if they thought it was due to the holidays/vacation coming up and didn't get a really strong yes or no.

So I decided to increase the dose 25 mg. I have enough amantadine on hand to do this and also have the dr's permission to use my judgement. On the third morning after the increase he seemed fine but I got an email from his teacher after school telling me that DS was very weepy during the day. He was a bit emotional at home that evening as well. This is out of character for DS so I immediately lowered the dose. He's been fine ever since--'twas definitely the season!

I talked to his dr. about it and he said that, based on what I described, it was fine to try an increase--we wouldn't have known if it was the right thing to do unless we tried. I'm hoping that DS can hang at this dose for awhile.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
aarondev (01-23-12)
Old 06-06-11, 11:20 PM
Contributor

Lv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to all

I appreciate this information! I have never heard of this medication but I am going to look into it for my daughter. It sounds wonderful, but I don't know why any of my daughter's doctors have ever mentioned it.

Ms. Mango,

Does your son's doctor typically prescribe this medication to his patients in conjunction with a stimulant?

Are there any significant side effects?
Old 06-07-11, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2sleep View Post
I appreciate this information! I have never heard of this medication but I am going to look into it for my daughter. It sounds wonderful, but I don't know why any of my daughter's doctors have ever mentioned it.

Ms. Mango,

Does your son's doctor typically prescribe this medication to his patients in conjunction with a stimulant?

Are there any significant side effects?
I think the biggest barrier to prescribing the medication is that most drs. don't know how to do it. Also, amantadine is not something that's a first- or second-line med for ADHD. It's possible a lot of drs. haven't heard of it being used for ADHD.

There is one potentially serious side effect--a netting or bruising of the legs. Some physicians just see this as cosmetically unattractive, but others have their patients discontinue amantadine because they are concerned about blood clots forming in the legs and possibly travelling to the heart, lungs or brain. DS did not have this side effect. If he did we could've tried memantine.

I believe your daughter has had some anxiety issues. Were you the person who posted about her picking her nails? I may have posted on your thread. DS started picking his nails after starting amantadine. He still picks them, but just what has grown. DS doesn't pick until he bleeds. I showed the dr. DS's fingers and he said it's possible the med caused a slight bit of anxiety. However his anxiety in the classroom has decreased significantly so we'll live with his slightly unsightly nails.

This medication can be prescribed with stimulants. I have discussed adding a stimulant back for DS and his dr. is fine with that. For now, though, we'll leave things as they are.

If you look at the link I posted to the memantine thread, you'll see that there are people taking both memantine and adderall. The OP recommends taking a stim holiday while titrating up on memantine and then starting adderall again at a lower dose.

Memantine sounds great--I've also thought about switching DS to this in the future. His dr. is open to that but, for now, it seems like amantadine offers more flexibility when it comes to dialing in the correct dose.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
aarondev (01-23-12), Lv2sleep (06-07-11)
Old 06-08-11, 02:11 PM
Jr Member

Ms Mango - how does Memantine differ from Amantadine?
Old 06-08-11, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelakj View Post
Ms Mango - how does Memantine differ from Amantadine?
Well, both are NMDA antagonists--they block glutamate receptors. Memantine is a stronger NMDA antagonist than Amantadine.

Amantadine also works on (releasing?) dopamine which is why it's beneficial for patients with Parkinson's disease. Memantine is approved to slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease. Postmortem examinations of Alzheimer's disease patient's brains shows a buildup of glutamate plaques (excess glutamate is neurotoxic); it's thought Memantine can slow this buildup.

On the Memantine thread there is a lot of talk about Memantine being neuroprotective--for some reason I thought Amantadine wasn't. That's actually not the case; I did a little digging around this afternoon and found that Amantadine also has neuroprotective properties. Just not as strong as Memantine.

The initial reason the OP on the Memantine thread started using it was to prevent tolerance to Adderall. Some people on that thread have reported being able to lower their dose of Adderall when combined with Memantine and have it be effective; others have been able to discontinue stimulant medication altogether. While you can take Amantadine with a stimulant, I have no idea if combining the two will prevent stimulant tolerance.

I also have to wonder if, at low doses, amantadine is working primarily on dopamine while at higher doses works primarily on glutamate. I don't have an answer on that.

Last edited by Ms. Mango; 06-08-11 at 11:27 PM..
Old 06-11-11, 08:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

bunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the rough

Very interesting! We've tried several medications with my son (he's 8) with little success - the negatives have outweighed any positives. It may be worth trying to talk to our doctor about amantadine.
Old 06-11-11, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkie68 View Post
Very interesting! We've tried several medications with my son (he's 8) with little success - the negatives have outweighed any positives. It may be worth trying to talk to our doctor about amantadine.
Several of the people on the Memantine thread linked above printed the thread out to take to their doctors. For some it convinced their doctors to let them trial that drug.

Definitely check out that thread. There's lots of good information there that explains the science behind how an NMDA antagonist works. The posters there also give helpful advice about temporary side effects like lethargy and brain fog during titration and dosing regimes. That information, in combination with what I described above, should go a long way towards helping you successfully trial Amantadine.
Old 06-25-11, 01:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Notafadd is on a distinguished road

Thank you angelakj and Ms. Mango for the information in this thread. I have read Dr. Hallowell's book but put the amantadine idea aside, thinking it would be a last line medication. My son is not and has never been treated with pharmaceutical medicines, primarily because my wife is against it. I think that she does not like the idea of him taking stimulants in particular. She comes from a culture in which mental health issues are somewhat shameful, so it could also be that she's partially in denial. Honestly, I don't understand her reasons!

The thing is my son's ADHD (he's 10) behaviors are now really starting to interfere in his social life. He's a bright kid who has never struggled academically, although he has not been able to meet his potential. Making and keeping friends hasn't been much of a problem over the last few years, but it's now getting to the point where I'm not sure he has any friends! This in turn is starting to have an effect on his academic performance. I fear he is becoming depressed. I should say that this mirrors my life in every way and I don't want him to repeat it!!

Anyway, if my wife's opposition is primarily to stimulants this thread's given me a little hope that maybe I can persuade her, and the doctor, to give amantadine a try. As I understand, it does not have an effect on growth rates and has fewer of the side effects of ritalin, adderall etc. Is that right? My son's therapist really wants him to try medication in addition to therapy, but there's this road block...

Thanks again both of you. I'll keep you posted if there's any development.