ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-24-11, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,457 Times in 581 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute
Bruising easily on Adderall?

So I've been on Adderall since February, and recently I've noticed that I'm bruising far more easily than normal. It doesn't even have to be from an impact - I was picking fruit off my fig tree the other day, and just from climbing it, I have bruises all over my legs. It looks like someone beat me with a stick. Not sexy - and it's shorts season in the desert!

I searched the almighty Google, and though I saw a few comments here and there about it, I couldn't find a reason. Nor did my handy-dandy little prescription insert mention it, either. Does it inhibit certain vitamin absorptions? I eat well, and take a daily multi-vitamin. Can it affect platelet counts?

I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and ask; I had a blood disease when I was younger called ITP, and bruising like this is a symptom. I may ask her if I should get a blood test done, just to check. However, if it's not an emergency, she probably won't get back to me right away.

In the meantime, I'm curious if anyone else notices this, and if there's anything they did to help curb it. I don't like looking like a bruised piece of fruit! I want to wear my shorts!
Old 05-24-11, 01:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Bruising easily on Adderall?

Warlord, while I think you're hilarious (my favorite), I'm starting to suspect your continued sexist comments are not a joke. Can you please find a way to frame your statements in a way that wouldn't offend some of our female members?
Also, Adderall causes blood thinning. Steer clear of Aspirin when taking Adderall.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
AddaptAbilities (05-24-11), Kaimei (05-24-11)
Old 05-24-11, 02:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Lord View Post
Women bruise easily in general. Skin is too thin due to hormones. I wouldn't worry about it.
That's really unhelpful and comes off rather patronizing - telling me it's just normal for my gender and not to worry about it is dismissive. I'm pretty sure I know more about being a woman than you do. The fact is, I never have bruised very easily, and anything that has a sudden onset after starting a medication needs to be looked into. Gender is inconsequential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Warlord, while I think you're hilarious (my favorite), I'm starting to suspect your continued sexist comments are not a joke. Can you please find a way to frame your statements in a way that wouldn't offend some of our female members?
Also, Adderall causes blood thinning. Steer clear of Aspirin when taking Adderall.
Thanks for saying that, tambourine-man.

I didn't see anything about blood thinning in my pamphlet, nor aspirin. I can't take aspirin anyway, but I appreciate the warning. You never know when someone else might need it. The blood thinning makes sense - I'll search for that more specifically. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-11, 10:54 PM
Jr Member

tigerbeat is on a distinguished road

Also low potassium can cause bruising. I take potassium supplements because I starting bruising easily when I was working out a lot. I thought I needed iron but it was potassium.
The Following User Says Thank You to tigerbeat For This Useful Post:
Landmarkalum (05-25-11)
Old 05-25-11, 02:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbeat View Post
Also low potassium can cause bruising. I take potassium supplements because I starting bruising easily when I was working out a lot. I thought I needed iron but it was potassium.
Quote:
Yes, Adderall decreases appetite and also thirst meaning you may find yourself eating and drinking a lot less than usual. This can cause the mineral levels to go down and cause such affections.

Now we're talking.
These are exactly the kind of things I was looking for.

Quote:
When people experience a health problem, they browse several causes and usually there are 4 of them. 2 causes out of those four in general will be tough to accept because they don't suit your plans well.

Unawarely, you will discard or leave last any possibility that does not suit you, and look for anything else that might be the cause, but never what goes against your plans.

Admit it, when you came here and asked us for help, you already knew the answer you were looking for. You wanted us to tell you that Adderall causes blood thinning and it's why you bruise yourself more often. Well, it turns out it's not true, the guy who said that doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Adderall does not cause such thinning and that's why I brought up the other argument because you can't come here and blame Adderall of what Adderall does not do just because this possibility suits you well.
No, I won't admit that I already knew the answer I was looking for, because I didn't. I was looking for feedback from other people. Maybe someone would know something - like the potassium issue - that I wasn't aware of or had overlooked. Some people have unusual or abnormal side-effects on certain medications. I wasn't looking for validation, I was looking for information. I could either keep looking at it as a cause, however indirect, or I could eliminate it as a reason.

I'm not looking for the possibility that 'suits' me the best, I'm trying to maintain my health. In the case of your first response, that was so far away from the range of likely reasons that it wasn't worth considering at the moment. When something suddenly changes in a person, the first thing to look at is recent changes in their environment.

Your posting style confuses the h**l out of me sometimes, Warlord. On one hand, I've seen you offer some really great advice, particularly when it comes to things like managing medications to maintain efficiency and maximum benefit. You're big on verifying information and logic. That, I appreciate.

Other times, though, you seem to have this idea that everyone is operating with some kind of...hidden agenda, and that every question has some kind of unscrupulous motivation lurking below it. I'm not sure why you're operating with such a suspicious attitude, but it's lead you into making some pretty off-putting comments. While I like what I can get as far as hard facts from your comments, your attitude towards people leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes a post really IS just made out of genuine curiosity, and sometimes a request for help and feedback really IS a request for help. Try responding with that in mind sometime, instead of putting motives in people's mouths.
Old 05-26-11, 12:15 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

She makes an excellent point Warlord. You know I love ya dude but you do get a touch paranoid at times, then again, that is sorta part of what I love about you.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
Kaimei (05-26-11)
Old 05-27-11, 07:59 AM

Thanked 17,143 Times in 7,734 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Kaimei: you are such a diplomatic person and so patient I admire that about you. I don't know if adderal makes you bruise more but I did read somewhere that however it does work it can make temerature control tougher or circulation and that tends to make me feel colder on average. I am terrible with references so I'm guessing you could google it but I heard it somewhere. Theoretically it could be thinner blood. @warlord: I'm sure you don't mean to sound sexist or sterotypical so I won't assume that you are but not everything can be chalked up to gender although there are fundamental differences in the biology of male and female bodies

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-27-11, 08:24 PM

Warlord, I often forget there is a "thanks" button. I tell you I like your posts because I do. They make me laugh. You have a very dark and funny perspective on things. You do tend to seach for a hidden agenda in posts though. I don't have a problem with this myself, but that is what I mean by paranoid. Really though, the reason I like you posts are because you unashamedly come out and say the most outrageous things that just crack me up. Come on, using Oxycontin to get off Adderall then codeine to get off Oxycontin? Your rant about the police and thousands of kilos of cocaine? Your derogatory remarks about the weaker sex? You may not intend to be funny, but either way it is ****in' hilarious!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 07-27-11, 09:29 AM

quintorosh is on a distinguished road

HI,I have to be honest, I have never registered or quoted on any forums, but decided to this morning because I experience the same type of bruising, sometimes just from the baby pinching me slightly, a small bang, and ALOT of the time for no reason at all. I could jsut be sitting here typing and then pop-theres another bruise (except for those ones-the ones that don't require injury) don't even hurt to the touch. I have been taking Adderol for about 4yrs now and have noticed these symptoms for probably the last 2yrs.. I was wondering if you ever got any further into your condition, or any "answers" whether or not it was the Adderol. Mine often occur on my forearms (where all the veins are) so I get nervous I'm having clots or something crazy. The average Dr's that I've mentioned it too have passed me off as a worry-wart and theres nothing to be concerned about BUT well uknow Thanks for any info you may have!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimei View Post
So I've been on Adderall since February, and recently I've noticed that I'm bruising far more easily than normal. It doesn't even have to be from an impact - I was picking fruit off my fig tree the other day, and just from climbing it, I have bruises all over my legs. It looks like someone beat me with a stick. Not sexy - and it's shorts season in the desert!

I searched the almighty Google, and though I saw a few comments here and there about it, I couldn't find a reason. Nor did my handy-dandy little prescription insert mention it, either. Does it inhibit certain vitamin absorptions? I eat well, and take a daily multi-vitamin. Can it affect platelet counts?

I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and ask; I had a blood disease when I was younger called ITP, and bruising like this is a symptom. I may ask her if I should get a blood test done, just to check. However, if it's not an emergency, she probably won't get back to me right away.

In the meantime, I'm curious if anyone else notices this, and if there's anything they did to help curb it. I don't like looking like a bruised piece of fruit! I want to wear my shorts!
Old 08-13-14, 03:30 PM

MissPent212 is on a distinguished road

I actually read quite a few studies that linked low platelet count as a side effect of Adderall use, albeit rare. Obviously, low platelet count can be linked to many different things (esp some seriously scary diseases), so I would definitely have and have it checked to rule out other causes. I'm assuming by the date of this thread that you probably have. LOL. I experienced the same thing when I started taking Adderall recently. However, my low platelet count was attributed to a vitamin K definciancy.