ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 05-24-11, 02:34 PM

chaoticmemory is on a distinguished road
Just moved, waiting to see new doc....predicament!!

Hi everybody, this is my first post on the forum so I'll post a little introduction. I am a 22-year-old nurse. I am married and recently graduated from nursing school. I was diagnosed with ADHD a little over a year and a half ago, tried medication for a brief period of time (let's just leave it at strattera does NOT work for me), then went off it due to side effects and lack of improvement. Then a few months ago, during my last semester of nursing school, things got out of control to a whole new level. So I went back and decided to give medication another shot.

Four months later, taking Adderall XR 30 mg in the morning and 20 mg at noon, life is much more manageable.

Unfortunately for me my husband and I have moved to a new state in the past month (after graduation) and my old doctor is 7 hours away. I have medication to last me through June 1, but I was unable to get an appointment with any psychiatrist in the area until June 11.

If I didn't have anything going on in my life right now a medication gap would be tough but doable. However that is NOT the case. I start orientation for a new job (and my first professional one) next Tuesday. I can't take a break from my meds to prepare for that because I have a lot I have to accomplish this week as well. So basically I'm stuck.

Since relocating I don't have a primary doc here either. I don't have any way to get a hold of a new prescription to tide me over until I meet this new Psych (who will hopefully be good and helpful - the last thing I need is someone who wants to change a system that isn't broken).

What can I do? How do I survive? I'm not even going to try walk-in clinics - I don't want to be seen as a drug-seeker. I've never even taken an extra dose, so I definitely don't need to be flagged in the system.

If anyone has any advice I would be most appreciative. I have called other offices and nobody seems to have anything sooner.

Help!!
Old 05-24-11, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just moved, waiting to see new doc....predicament!!

Well, what about seeing a gp? Have your old doc fax something to the gp telling him/her your background and current situation. Don't know how doable that is, though. You could always talk to your former doctor and explain he situation and ask if it would be possible to mail you a refill prescription.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 05-24-11, 10:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

jennsation will become famous soon enough

Road trip?

LOL...but seriously...as an absolute last resort, maybe you could take a (really long) drive.

Hopefully someone else has more practical advice. (I like the suggestion of mailing the prescription...maybe that would work...??)
The Following User Says Thank You to jennsation For This Useful Post:
BR549 (05-24-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-11, 11:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

happierin09 has disabled reputation

I would think a call to your former doc would be a good place to start. Just explain the situation, and he may be nice and sent you a temporary refill until you can see the new doc. If that doesn't work, maybe try to get in to see a gp. Good luck!

Old 05-25-11, 01:15 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,886 Times in 13,587 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some ideas: call old doc explain the siutation give him name and number of new to doc to verify you have an appt. Then ask if he can mail you a script since adderal can't be called in. Try finding a gp. Or try to every other day your meds or halve them and not take them on weekends.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-25-11, 01:17 PM

chaoticmemory is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for your input.

I tried called my old doc's office trying to see if they could mail my Rx to me until I see my new practitioner. Unfortunately I must have terrible luck because my MD is actually out of the office until after the Holiday weekend....which is precisely when I will be OUT of my adderall. So even if they could mail the script, which I did not get a confirmation on, it wouldn't be sent until I was out and then I'd have to wait until it got here to be able to fill it (which leaves me helpless during my first week of orientation - a very scary thought.)

Since my doctor is gone even a drive down there would not accomplish very much as he isn't around to sign the script.

The GP I have been referred to doesn't have any openings til the very end of June. I did, however, manage to get an appointment with my old gyno (I lived here years ago so I don't exactly have a current rapport with him) on Friday - only because I am having some female issues that aren't pertinent to my ADHD.

Is it okay to ask my gynecologist if he can write me a script for exactly what I have already been taking while I wait to see a new psych? I don't want to come across badly to him and I do already have an appointment scheduled...what do you think?
Old 05-25-11, 02:23 PM
Contributor

Redrightnow has disabled reputation

That's what I would do- ask the gyno. Can't hurt.

Your former dr. who's on vacation- is there anyone answering the calls and refilling rx's? My husband has a chronic physical illness and travels a lot so he's not always up to speed on his current rx's. But there's always been someone (the P.A. for example) who will take care of calling in his rx's if the Dr.'s away. Also sometimes the pharmacist will give him a few to tide him over but I'm guessing that won't work for adhd meds.

But I bet your gyno will be helpful if you explain the importance of what you've got going on.

Good luck!
Old 05-25-11, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

jennsation will become famous soon enough

Since you have the appointment...I would ask. (HUGE bummer that the old doc is out of town! Frustrating!) But yes...ask. The worst theyc an tell you is "no".

Good luck!!
Old 05-25-11, 04:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do that. Also, bring your prescription bottle with you and maybe anything else that you have from your doctor showing a diagnosis or treatment-anything you might find so that it might help him to see you have a diagnosis and not want to confirm it with your old doc, since he's out of town. Even an insurance explanation of benefits might help. May not need it, but it might help.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 06-20-12, 12:08 AM

ariwara is on a distinguished road

This thread (and the ideas below) bring up a larger issue. What is the "right" documentation to show that you or I have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and are "qualified" to receive medication?

I travel a lot (internship in a different city every summer), and I'm constantly faced with being re-screened for ADD by psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, etc. I wish there were some sort of "ADD/ADHD registry" that would issue me a card that would certify me to receive my meds from any general practitioner.

On a similar note, how successful have people been in obtaining their meds from a random GP? I've just relocated again, I have about 1.5 weeks worth left of my medication, and I'm starting to get scared...I'm having trouble getting an appointment with a psychologist (in the SF Bay Area) in that timeframe.

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life--this thread just seems to have a lot of relevant stuff for the questions that I'm asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
I'd do that. Also, bring your prescription bottle with you and maybe anything else that you have from your doctor showing a diagnosis or treatment-anything you might find so that it might help him to see you have a diagnosis and not want to confirm it with your old doc, since he's out of town. Even an insurance explanation of benefits might help. May not need it, but it might help.
Old 06-24-12, 09:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,886 Times in 13,587 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

The best documentation I can think of would be records from your previous doc. Most doctors will feel more comfortable prescribing stimulants if theyve seen another doctor has done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariwara View Post
This thread (and the ideas below) bring up a larger issue. What is the "right" documentation to show that you or I have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and are "qualified" to receive medication?

I travel a lot (internship in a different city every summer), and I'm constantly faced with being re-screened for ADD by psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, etc. I wish there were some sort of "ADD/ADHD registry" that would issue me a card that would certify me to receive my meds from any general practitioner.

On a similar note, how successful have people been in obtaining their meds from a random GP? I've just relocated again, I have about 1.5 weeks worth left of my medication, and I'm starting to get scared...I'm having trouble getting an appointment with a psychologist (in the SF Bay Area) in that timeframe.

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life--this thread just seems to have a lot of relevant stuff for the questions that I'm asking.

I carried a watermelon?