ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-25-11, 01:09 AM

mm855752 will become famous soon enough
Good for Studying BAD for Exams

One thing ive noticed about adderall is that its really good for focus, memory, and retention of materials so it helps for when your studying for a test.

BUT, its horrible on exam day. Since it already makes you a little anxious topped up with Exam nervousness, its been a recipe for disaster on exams. My heart would pound so hard and id be soo nervous during the exam it screws up my grade.

This is my experience and trial of Adderall 4 Exams and NO Adderall 4 Exam:
--------------------------------------------------------
Class Exam 2 Grade : C+ *On adderall xr
Study Time: Started 3 days prior to exam. *On adderall xr

Class Exam 3 Grade : A- *NOT On adderall xr
Study Time: Started 3 days prior to exam. *On adderall xr

Just one trial so far, but i'll be doing plenty more. Funny thing is that EXAM 3 was supposed to be 5x harder then Exam 2 as stated by my professor.

So my theory is that it works wonders for studying for an exam, but especially if your like me thats susceptible to getting very anxious and nervous for an exam, It'll wreck you if you take it DURING an exam.

Any input?
Old 05-25-11, 10:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Good for Studying BAD for Exams

Never experienced that problem. This article is awesome though. Give it a read.

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/...correctly.html
Old 05-26-11, 11:59 PM
Jr Member

jparra147 is on a distinguished road

This is one of my worries. I just switched from Vyvanse to Adderall generic IR. I felt like the Vyvanse calmed me down significantly, and it just put me in the zone. I don't think I would've been able to pull out some of my finals the way I did without it and adderall in its place. After a few days on adderall I can already tell it affects my anxiety and heart rate significantly more... Odd that my doctor ruled out prescribing generic Dex tabs as a booster for vyvanse since it didn't last because "generics" aren't very good, but just throws me a script for adderall. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-11, 12:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting that you score higher on tests w/out Adderall (but after studying with Adderall). I've read a lot of literature that says test performance is maximized by studying and completing the exam under the same conditions (environment, time of day, and definitely, drugs).

But I can see how the anxiety might be an extenuating factor, here. You seem to have figured it out, so I guess you should keep it up. If you hadn't scored so high on the no-meds test, I might have thrown out the idea of taking a lower dose before tests, but it seems as though there's no need. I've always loved tests, but I sympathize with those who don't share my enthusiasm about sitting in a room regurgitating information.
The Following User Says Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
NotaMidget (10-21-11)
Old 05-27-11, 07:34 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Try getting Vyvanse and Adderall. Each is better for different situations. You can use Adderall for studying and Vyvanse for testing.
Warlord, how do you get so much codeine? Do you really prefer it to other opiates. I always found oxycodone (Oxycontin, Percocet), hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin), hydromorphone (Dilaudid) or oxymorphone (Opana) to be far superior. Hell, even morphine is an upgrade from codeine.
I guess codeine is more functional.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 05-28-11, 12:12 AM

trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Lord View Post
If by literature you mean that spam site claiming ''proper Adderal usage'' you must be joking. That site is worst than Vista security virus. I feel infected by it. It's by far 10x worst then the kid spamming the ''I cured my ADHD'' crap.

Completing the exam under the same conditions of when studying took place? You mean when I was half-listening in class while playing COD MW2 on my laptop and slapping my immature mate who was throwing papers at someone and drawing teacher's attention at us (and my gaming activity)? If you're that chill during an exam it's insta-fail. You won't even score 10%.

Exam conditions are bizilion times more stressful then chilling with an open book in a library. It takes me 6 hours in the library to complete the work of a 3h final exam. You simply cannot maintain the paste, simply put you have to speed your azz up and doing that causes anxiety and severe panic when things don't work and require TIME to figure out wtf ever went wrong. For those times you need a powerful muscle relaxant or an opioid to calm your nerves so you can work instead of panicking and ripping your hair out in despair thinking that every second that goes by puts you a second closer to your failure.
I was actually speaking of psychological literature on memory and cognition; sounds like I hit a sore spot. I have no idea what you're talking about when you reference the "spam site."

I agree with you that it's not likely for most students to take the exam under the same conditions in which the material was learned. But the example you give is not of learning the material, it's one of being present when the material was delivered. My reply assumed that at some point, a person taking a test had decided to study the material before showing up for an exam. The closer those two scenarios are (study and test), the higher the results, in general. Apparently this doesn't hold true for everyone.

As I said before, I have no personal experiences with test anxiety, so I apologize if I offended anyone by implying that testing is or should be so simple. I was just intrigued that someone with ADHD had performed better on an exam without medication. For many reasons, I wouldn't have predicted that to be the case.
Old 05-28-11, 01:58 AM
Jr Member

swim2345 is on a distinguished road

Iím new to all this and maybe Iím still experiencing the ďhighĒ from Adderall when I take it. (I donít feel particularly high but whatever) for me taking 1.5x the dose of Adderall right before the exam made me focused (in particular in law school exams it gave me the ability to break down the exams into particular issues and address them as such) I havenít gotten all of my grades back yet but so far they are now, theyír significantly higher than they were in my first semester. Not to judge anyone, but taking codeine before a test then another person suggesting taking oxycodeine before an exam seems really messed up. Like I said Iím new at all this but to say that its OK to drop oxycodeine for an exam? I donít know doesnít seem right to me.
Old 05-28-11, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2345 View Post
Iím new to all this and maybe Iím still experiencing the ďhighĒ from Adderall when I take it. (I donít feel particularly high but whatever) for me taking 1.5x the dose of Adderall right before the exam made me focused (in particular in law school exams it gave me the ability to break down the exams into particular issues and address them as such) I havenít gotten all of my grades back yet but so far they are now, theyír significantly higher than they were in my first semester. Not to judge anyone, but taking codeine before a test then another person suggesting taking oxycodeine before an exam seems really messed up. Like I said Iím new at all this but to say that its OK to drop oxycodeine for an exam? I donít know doesnít seem right to me.
It's not right, so feel free to ignore it. Combatting test anxiety by taking a prescription anti-anxiety med before the test is appropriate. Self-medicating with opiates, muscle relaxants or any other substance not intended to alleviate anxiety is inappropriate and (in my opinion) has no place on these forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
NotaMidget (10-21-11)
Old 05-28-11, 11:53 AM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Oxy and hydrocodone have great oral bioavailability but your right about Dilaudid and Opana. Gotta inject em. I have no reason to take opiates and don't but if I had a steady supply of codeine I might use it off-label for other issues as you do. I'm sure a codeine habit is not difficult to kick.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 05-28-11, 01:06 PM

Thanked 16,557 Times in 7,482 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Lord View Post
Doctor prescribes it upon request.

Those are too strong and most have low oral bio-availability meaning that the only way to make the most of it is to IV it.
Prescribed or not an opiod or opiate is not the best choice for anxiety. I don't know the oral bioavalibilty of benzos but they are used. For anxiety and work on the gaba receptersm I don't know what recepters opiates work on but I just don't think that's wise. And if you can walk in and ask for coedine you have a very interesting doctor

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-28-11, 03:41 PM

I actually believe opiates are a better option for anxiety than benzos, and were used for "nerves" for centuries. I don't think either should actually be used daily though. Benzos just don't work for most people who take them daily, but are excellent PRN meds. Daily use creates an insurmountable tolerance (It is a rare individual that doesn't become immune to the therapeutic effects of daily benzos, ultimately just taking a maintenance dose to avoid severe rebound anxiety, which is not just a return of original symptoms) and horrible withdrawals upon cessation. For those who haven't experienced it, benzo withdrawal is as bad or worse than they say. Worse than opiate withdrawal for me. Plus the relaxing, sedating and anxiolytic effects of opiates persist far longer with daily use than the same effects do from benzos. Benzos are like opiates without a soul. I'd take opiates over benzos any day.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 05-28-11, 03:58 PM

Thanked 16,557 Times in 7,482 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think there is a difference in sedation level between opiates and benzos? Would one make you more sleepy or loopy? For me opiotes make me wired with no anxiety relief and most benzos do too

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-29-11, 07:10 PM

I'd have to disagree, benzos may be prescribed as a longterm but they very rarely work out that way. I'm not saying they do not have therapeutic benefits (no better as-needed med for anxiety if you don't need them multiple times a day) but they are not indicated for longterm use and have never been proven to be effective longterm. Subjectively, there are certainly many patients who have taken them daily for years with no ill effects, but there are MANY who remain on an ever escalating maintence dose just to avoid withdrawals they mistakenly believe to be a return of the original symptoms.
Incidentally, dextroamphetamine is a great anxiety med for me. Benzos-eck! Crazy, bat-**** nuts on those! Opiates- relaxed yet somehow wired but in a totally non-productive way.
I'll take an order of amphetamines. Check please?!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 10-21-11, 03:41 AM

astate is on a distinguished road

I have had the same experience with taking adderall on test days. My scores are ALWAYS lower than practice test scores. For me, I get test anxiety and start 2nd guessing myself and/or start talking myself into ridic scenarios where one answer could sound correct.

While it is great for focusing on boring things like class or reading, taking it on test days creates more problems than solutions. I've found that when taking an important test, its unlikely that I will be bored or not be able to focus.

None of my friends really have felt the same way but Im curious to see how your experiment goes. Good luck.
Old 10-21-11, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

hxt1138 is on a distinguished road

If the op is still interested I've experienced similar results with Vyvanse, since i become OCD about values into the calculator and i double and triple check problems obsessively, which ends in having way less exam time.
That's because vyvanse relaxes me, for some reason it does not wire or get me tense. When i took no meds i would get neck and back pains from my muscles being so tight and a knot or two every once in a while. With vyvanse i don't get this and the problem becomes too little stress, then I hyper focus on things irrelevant to the exam which might be 3 days away.

During the exams I've noticed I'm way slower than usual even when familiar with the material. I blame it on the relaxed state and the OCD on every single calculation. If it were writing or science with more reading comprehension and not only math I'm sure i would do a lot better.

Tried 5-htp but it magnifies the relaxation(can't be taken on SSRIs or some other meds so read up on interactions with other meds you take). If Adderall puts you tense maybe 5-htp would help but try it out on a non-important day to asses how it feels and start with a low dose. There's other things that might help like Valerian root tea or lowering caffeine intake.

For me since i need some tension i drink a red bull on exam day an hr or two before it does two things for me. Makes the dose the vyvanse lower because of acidity and gives me the caffeine buzz which tenses me but allows me still some vyvanse & caffeine focus. If i feel tense i don't do it because i know it'll be worse.

Another thing that you might want to try is studying in the same/similar setting as you when you would take your exam. I read somewhere that students who do better in exams study often in quiet and a place similar to the test at least one time before the exam just to prepare. The idea is that if you study in a comfort area like home or with other people and music then when you go to the test your out of the comfort area. This causes you to get more tense. This is not to say study groups are bad or studying in certain places but that you should put yourself in similar conditions at least once or twice so that when you take the test you won't have the out of comfort zone added stress.

Good luck.