ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 06-07-11, 12:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light
Vyvanse Success Stories!

I don't know if making this thread a sticky is an option but I'd really like to here from some members who have had success with Vyvanse and how they have done it. There are so many complaints about this medication and I know there has to be those who have benefited from it.

I have shared my experiences with Vyvanse on these boards many times and while I have certainly had my share of complaints (limited mostly to duration) it has been an excellent med for me. How about you guys? I'm particularly interested in hearing longterm success stories.

Perhaps if we get enough this thread can be stickyed and there will be a stronger balance of opinions here.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 06-07-11, 01:58 PM

Thanked 1,825 Times in 1,052 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
Re: Vyvanse Success Stories!

I was looking for one of these about 3 weeks ago. Here is what i found, which isnt alot. I am also interested in vyvanse success stories, if stickying this thread helps getting some more feedback then please mods- do it.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94492

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83777
Old 06-07-11, 05:32 PM
Contributor

AddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura aboutAddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura about

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll post a version of my story here too.

Vyvanse was a godsend for me. I had excellent results from it for two years, alternating between dosages of 50 mgs in the summer and 60 mgs in the winter, to deal with my seasonal affective issues. When I say "excellent results", I mean that I felt calm and focused on most days, all day long. I actually got the 12-14 hours the medication advertised. Exceptions to this were when I had refined sugars in large quantities.

The only bothersome side effect from Vyvanse was dry mouth, which resulted in tooth decay. My dentist put me on prescription toothpaste with a high fluoride content, and there haven't been any more problems.

It hasn't worked as well for the last few months; however, I attribute that having my antidepressant switched to Lexapro in January. Lexapro is one of the more deactivating SSRI's, and I think it really messed me up.

I'm still taking the Vyvanse, and supplementing with Adderall boosters. It seems to work better and better the farther I get from my Lexapro experience.

Current Meds: Vyvanse 70 mgs; Lamictal 150 mgs; Ativan 0.5 -1.0 mgs

Past Meds: Adderall, Lexapro, Abilify, Dexedrine Spansules, Dexedrine IR, Ritalin, Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, Wellbutrin

The Lamictal Diaries: Medicating My Mood Disorder
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-11, 12:43 AM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

C'mon guys! I know there are some success stories out there!

Vyvanse saved my life. I have all the talent and potential in the world but I was completely squandering it. I had not faith in myself, was depressed, couldn't sleep, couldn't follow through with tasks, was always stirring up drama, using drugs heavily, failing at all relationships, getting kicked out of schools, wrecking cars, getting arrested... Yep, I was a mess.

Vyvanse originally lasted all day and was so smooth and consistent. It fixed (or gave me the motivation to fix) every problem that was destroying my life. I am now joyful, confident, motivated and at peace. I'm starting to fulfill my enormous potential and I'm so proud of myself!

Granted, after a few months the duration dropped a lot but adding Adderall IR solved this issue. I have had some issues with Vyvanse and have been on these boards to complain but that doesn't change the fact that Vyvanse is the med that saved my life!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 06-10-11, 12:26 AM

The meager response to this thread and the two linked by TheChemicals is further evidence of my standing suspicion that few people have genuine, longterm success with this medication as an exclusive pharmaceutical treatment strategy.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
TheChemicals (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 12:32 AM

Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,560 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't think many people like putting themselves in the spotlight... that is, unless they need help with a problem.
Old 06-10-11, 03:12 AM
Contributor

AddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura aboutAddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
The meager response to this thread and the two linked by TheChemicals is further evidence of my standing suspicion that few people have genuine, longterm success with this medication as an exclusive pharmaceutical treatment strategy.
Maybe. This is a useful thread, but it's not a double blinded clinical trial, more's the pity.

Also, what do you mean by "exclusive"? Do you mean exclusive of other stimulants, or exclusive of any meds for comorbid conditions? The comorbidity issues make things really tricky; for instance, depressive symptoms can include inattention, but on the other hand, SSRI's can make inattention worse.

Which gets me to wondering ... if people are participating in a pharma trial, are they supposed to eliminate their intake of non-pharma drugs, like alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine?

Past Meds: Adderall, Lexapro, Abilify, Dexedrine Spansules, Dexedrine IR, Ritalin, Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, Wellbutrin

Old 06-10-11, 08:20 AM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

Not really a success story, it's very mild and weak....but my doc is in love with it and won't prescribe anything else. Yeah...it helps but not as much as I'd like.
Old 06-10-11, 01:19 PM

Yeah, by exclusive I mean from other stimulants.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 06-10-11, 02:49 PM

Thanked 1,825 Times in 1,052 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

I was on 40mg for about a month and just switched to 60mg. Im much better now but it takes effort and i dont mind that. Its weird...it feels like Vyvanse is a helping hand, for me, more than a "take pill- relieve symptons".
Old 06-10-11, 04:25 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post
I was on 40mg for about a month and just switched to 60mg. Im much better now but it takes effort and i dont mind that. Its weird...it feels like Vyvanse is a helping hand, for me, more than a "take pill- relieve symptons".
Have you taken other meds before? In my experience most of them don't "relieve symptoms" ... or if they do, only partially, for instance by letting me get a good night's sleep ...

Anyway, I feel like Vyvanse relieves my symptoms by giving me calm and focus, but I still need to figure out what to do with those things (since I've only had calm and focus for 2 years, it's still a relatively new experience for me ).

Old 06-10-11, 07:42 PM
Jr Member

lotuslove is on a distinguished road

So far I don't think Vyvanse is good for me. It's not bad but it's not right either. I started taking 20mg of Vyvanse for 2 days (did nothing for me) and now taking 40mg for the 3rd day in a row (this amount is bordering too much). So, I assume my doc will try me on 30mg when I return for re-eval. I think I need to try a different med though.

I am ADHD/PI. My hyperactive symptoms present as racing thoughts and being fidgety. I'm not the type that has to get up all the time from my seat while in class, I just have a hard time getting comfortable. So, I'm constantly crossing my legs, then crossing my ankles, sitting up straight, then slouching, then the wiggling or tensing up of toes and fingers starts and blah blah...all the while I'm trying to pay attention to my professor and keep up with all the notes that she is writing on the board. What Vyvanse does for these symptoms is reduce my racing thoughts from a sprint to a jog. I also feel somewhat calmer than normal. However, this is intermittently throughout the day. It's not consistent.

The symptoms that bother me most from my ADD is my inability to focus or pay attention. Vyvanse helps me feel motivated to do what ever chore or task at hand that needs to be done, but I go to do it and then, poof, I'm right back at square one where my attempt at focus/attention melts away. I stand there looking and wondering where to begin and my mind feels jumbled. Then the horrid feeling of defeat sets in and I know that this medication is on the right track, but not quite right.

I don't feel like I need to increase dosage because like I said before, 40mg is bordering too much for me. It's like I'm on an extended release of caffeine that's sometimes smooth and then sometimes jittery. So, I feel nice and awake, alert and in a good mood for the most part, but I still have trouble with focus and am easily distracted. One good thing I can say is that I don't need to drink cokes anymore!! If I do, I get pretty edgy so I don't have one until early evening when the slow crash phase begins.

I tried FocalinXR and IR before this. It was great in that my home was spotless. I was able to focus and get stuff done one task at a time. However, I was a cranky mom to my kids and everything irritated me. It completely changed my personality. Plus it messed my stomach up big time. I'm sure Focalin is a wonderful medication for a lot of people, but not for me. So, anyone new to this medication deal, don't knock Focalin unless you try it (per doctor prescription of course!).

I've been reading on these forums about how the L-amp in Vyvanse is good for hyperactivity/impulsivity symptoms versus how the D-amp in Adderall works well on inattentive/lack of focus symptoms of ADHD (not sure if my wording on that is right). SO, I plan on talking to my doctor about trying Adderall out next.

Overall, Vyvanse isn't bad. I have no bad side effects. It just doesn't get the job done for me. I can say however, that if this and Focalin were the only 2 medications available to treat ADHD versus no medication I would choose to stay on Vyvanse as it gives me some amount of relief in my racing thoughts and I experience a little bit of a calmer feeling than when not on medication.

I guess this isn't really a success story huh? It's not a horror story though!!
Old 06-22-11, 11:43 AM

Janice100 is on a distinguished road

I am so thankful for Vyvanse! I had Brain Imaging a few years ago, and at age 57 discovered that I had AD/HD, inattentive type. Adderall solved a lot of problems, but the "roller coaster effect," even when overlapping pills during the day, left me so tired and miserable as the medicine was wearing off, that I was ready to do without anything. I've been on Vyvanse for more than 2 years, and really love it. It gives me great focus and motivation all day since it's an extended release med, and it wears off so slowly in the early evening, I don't notice any symptoms of "hitting a wall."
I had written and published 16 books earlier in my career, but became so stressed about everything involved in writing a book, I'd retired. With Vyvanse, I am able to write for hours and don't have the "brain won't shut down and writes the book all night" mania. And I'm actually able to make decisions while shopping, rather than being ruled by impulse, which is a huge relief and has greatly helped our budget!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janice100 For This Useful Post:
AddaptAbilities (06-23-11), lotuslove (06-24-11)