ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-11, 08:44 PM
Jr Member

Tazmaniandevil is on a distinguished road
Hoping this is the final stop in figuring this out.

Hello everyone. I'm hoping that this will finally end all of the problems I've had so far in my life... if I can get any help.

I've always felt different from other kids and people in general. As I grew older, things that were a minor problem to me (being late, forgetful, not being able to follow directions properly or even remember them, socially anxious etc...) began escalating into something much worse. I went to see a therapist in 2007 because i thought I had atypical depression. I had read a lot up on the subject, and it just seemed fitting. She diagnosed me with Social Anxiety Disorder and put me on Paxil. Being on that was completely crappy so after a year I stopped taking it.

While I was seeing the therapist, she put me through (CBT), which was basically things I already knew. I still felt like Social Anxiety was sort of like a symptom of what was really going on with me, but I just didn't know what it was. I did some more research and came across adult ADHD. It described me and my life to a tee, but I just didn't want to believe I had anything else wrong with me. After a suicide attempt, I definitely needed an answer and started reading more on ADHD. The more I read is the more I knew I had it.

The problem now is that I was diagnosed in another country with SA, and it was free. Here in the US (Florida), I work a minimum wage job, live by myself, and my job is a couple hours short of full time, so I have no insurance. I'm about to apply for medicaid, but I doubt I will be approved since I work, and technically am not disabled because i can't afford a visit to a doc to diagnose me.

If anyone has any advice or comments about my situation, please offer it! I'd be very grateful.

HEY!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tazmaniandevil For This Useful Post:
Bluerose (06-08-11)
Old 06-08-11, 11:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hoping this is the final stop in figuring this out.

Old 06-08-11, 11:29 AM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forums, There is a wealth of information here about ADD and a wonderful community of people to get to know. I, personally have made some of the best friends here, friends that I know i will cherish the rest of my life I hope you experience some of the great things about the Forums as you read and travel around on the boards.

I can understand the difficulties of not having insurance, and your financial situation.. I have dealt with both issues at times. It stinks that employers can hire people and dot hat, have them work a few hours shy and not get the benefits that they need.

I am not sure what to recommend to you at this time , my first thought . . .
Is their any public assistance programs for health care or clinics in the area?

Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Following User Says Thank You to Turbochica For This Useful Post:
Tazmaniandevil (06-08-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-11, 11:36 AM

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums!

I know Florida is facing a huge amount of people without health insurance and the state is talking about trying to remedy that situation. In the meantime, you might be able to temporarily qualify for Medicaid. It's something to look into. Also, Florida has the Discount Drug Card to help with prescriptions. Several major drug manufacturers offer patient assistance programs where the cost of the prescription is discounted or free depending on your financial situation.

I don't know if these links will help--I didn't see where in Florida you were from before I started replying Here are some links to free clinics in Florida. I hope that this helps!

http://www.echealthinsurance.com/flo...ealth-clinics/

www.shepherdshope.org/

www.freemedicalsearch.org/sta/florida

www.uniteforsight.org/freeclinics.php

www.healthcouncil.org/freeclinics.asp

edit: I see you are in Tampa. Some of the above links can take you to Tampa area clinics but here are some more:

www.tampachc.com/tampachc.htm

www.redcrescenttampa.org/default.aspx

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
Tazmaniandevil (06-08-11), Turbochica (06-08-11)
Old 06-08-11, 05:28 PM
Jr Member

Tazmaniandevil is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer the post. I found some very useful things in the links, including something called Hillsborough Healthcare Plan which is basically like free health insurance for residents of this county! I'm applying right now, hopefully I can get approved. Thank both of you very much.