ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-08-11, 06:35 PM

[sammich] is on a distinguished road
Suggestions to Help Pay for Adderall XR

$229. For 30 capsules. FANTASTIC.

Blue Cross Blue Shield doesn't seem to want to help. I have to meet my deductible of $2600 before they pay a penny.

I've tried Vyvanse and the generic, and neither worked. Vyvanse just... didn't work well at all. I had bad side effects, but barely any increased focus. As far as the generic goes, I didn't even know I had it until I noticed for the 3rd day in a row, I kept having ups and downs throughout the day, I'd feel nauseous when I woke up, and depressed when I came down. I checked the dosage on the bottle when I saw that it wasn't name brand, it was the generic version. I google about it and apparently I wasn't the only one having bad results with the generic version.

Anywho, I'm a college student and I've been taking Adderall since my Junior year of High School. I was doing HORRIBLY in school up until I started taking Adderall XR, at which point I began getting straight A's. Throughout my first 2 years of college, I kept thinking how I would NEVER have been able to keep up without my medication.

I plan on going to med school after I graduate, so you guys can guess that I'm working my *** off to get good grades. But... money is getting a bit tight, and I don't want to have to put an extra financial strain on the family every month.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to force insurance to help out, get discounts, etc? I'm kinda screwed here, because I feel guilty for having to ask for $220/mo on top of my expenses. I asked my parents if I could get a job to help and they gave a VERY firm NO. They want me to focus on my classes so I can do well in school.

I dunno. I guess I'll ask you guys because chances are someone has had this issue :P

(oh and by the way, in response to the Adderall shortage threads, I, too, was having issues finding a place with 20mg XR in stock this past month, Walmart kept saying the were going to order it, finally Walgreens called and said they had some in)
Old 06-08-11, 11:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,455 Times in 580 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions to Help Pay for Adderall XR

Wow. I don't have any answers on helping pay for the XR, but have you considered switching to IR? There isn't a generic for the Adderall XR yet, which is why you're paying out the nose for it.

Managing the IR doses can be a bit of a pain, but once you've got the hang of it, it's great.
Old 06-08-11, 11:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I second Kaimei's suggestion. IR is tremendously cheaper than XR (by a couple hundred bucks) and should work similarly, despite it being somewhat of a nuisance to take multiple doses. I think it's worth the money saved, personally. It also appears that IR Adderall is less impacted by the shortage than XR. If you weren't insured, there are probably greater options to you in getting help with prescriptions, but I'm thinking that your only choice is to do battle with Blue Cross, which I'm certain would be ugly and not nearly as productive as you'd hope.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-11, 11:56 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,133 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you are in Texas, but there's a little mom and pop pharmacy in my town that has had XR since I started taking it three months ago. I started with Shire XR and it was $51.00 with insurance--or about what yours would be without insurance (maybe a little cheaper). I just got the branded generic and it was half the cost of name brand--$24.00 with insurance or $100 something without. Walgreens has a free discount prescription card as well, so that will help defray costs. Kaimei is right, though. IR is really much cheaper. Thirty pills of IR costs me $4.18 with insurance. Without it would have been about $15.00. But ultimately switching to IR would be the most economical way to go. A lot of people don't mind figuring out when to take each dose.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 06-09-11, 03:52 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about

I am with them on switching to the IR. If you don't want to do that I suggest heading to Costco (you don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy). I went there when I did not have insurance and the cost difference is HUGE. $180 at Walgreens vs $45 at Costco for Adderall IR (generic).
Old 06-09-11, 04:00 PM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,287 Times in 7,146 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

rob the pharmacy

if too hard, rob a liquor store, then buy your adderall with the money u steal

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-09-11, 05:23 PM

[sammich] is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I thought there was a generic XR by TEVA and Barr and all? Also, how much is name brand IR?

I went into Costco and asked how much name brand XR is and they said $230! I have heard from multiple people that they have it for less but I guess their prices may be fluctuating or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
I don't know where you are in Texas, but there's a little mom and pop pharmacy in my town that has had XR since I started taking it three months ago.
I'm in College Station if that helps!
Old 06-10-11, 08:20 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,133 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a....gulp...Aggie????? lol Just giving you a hard time Some of my best friends are Aggies!!!

Walgreens has a discount prescription club. The membership is something like $15.00 for the year and you are supposed to get prescriptions for 75% off. You can google it and print out an application. There's also another thing called FreeDrugCard.us/walgreens. It's free, but I don't know much about it. It's online also. If you're not wanting to switch to IR, those might be the way to go. It might be worth it to go to Walgreens and see how much of a discount you get on XR.

Have you checked around the surrounding cities? Like Navasota or Hearn? Houston is a bit of a drive, but you might have good luck there. Since you're in a college town, shortages are probably going to be common.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi