ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-04, 11:33 AM

RmCL is on a distinguished road
How many of you adults with ADD are paranoid?

I don't know if it is my personality or what but I get very paranoid. I think someone I know will find the stuff I have said on the internet in message boards and figure out that it is me. I am also paranoid that our Child Psychiatrist is messing with our minds (my son has Autism). I just can't figure the guy out because he says contradictary stuff. Maybe he has ADD. I am paranoid that someone will unexpectadely show up at my doorstep. The list goes on.
Old 09-01-04, 12:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Mild paranoia and suspiciousness, but I've never been diagnosed with anything like it. It falls under my general anxiety thing. People can't be trusted is all; everyone has an agenda. I don't really consider my thinking that paranoid, but apparently other people do...
Old 09-01-04, 12:25 PM

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
You might wanna check out the personality disorders section of the forums....
Re: Paranoid personality disorder.... Don't know if you'd be that extreme, but it's something to look at anyway.

Here's a link... http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9262

Personally, I have had a HIGH degree of paranoia...which I think is getting better with maturity.
Old 09-01-04, 12:25 PM

Mariela is on a distinguished road
I am on medication for believing that people can read my mind and that there are cameras around my house and people watching me.
Old 09-04-04, 09:25 AM

electro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RmCL
I don't know if it is my personality or what but I get very paranoid. .....
I think the paranioa is related to :
* The general anxiety state that us ADD people live in continually.
* A hyperactive mind that is always needs a "focus point" - we may even invent situations and loose track as to whether we are on base or not.

* One way to deal with the paranioa is to TEST it and get a reality check - and prove to youself if it is founded on reality - have someone else help in this manner ?
* Get used to knowing that you will come up with more paranoid situations - and let them go - try to get distracted by something else. Do not give them too much attention.
* I would not start reading about personality disorders unless you think this will be helpfull - I have found it makes the situation worse. A nice thing about a ADD diagnosis is the it is such a complex phenomenon - there the best thing to do is find solutions instead of looking for more challenges.
Love is the ultimate answer. Love is not an abstraction but an actual energy, or spectrum of energies, which you can "create" and maintain in you being. Love disolves fear. You cannot be afraid when you are feeling love. Since everything is energy, and love encompasses all energies. - Messages from the Masters - Brian Weiss
Old 09-04-04, 09:55 AM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
I'm watching all of you very closely...

Not serious, of course. But paranoia is like ADD, it goes on a sliding scale. I have a combination of paranoia and cynicism, if you see what I mean... I believe that governments/corporations etc. all have it in for me... but fortunately they are largely too incompetent and/or I am too small a target for me to feel their full malevolence very often...
Old 09-04-04, 11:44 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro
I think the paranioa is related to :
* The general anxiety state that us ADD people live in continually.
* A hyperactive mind that is always needs a "focus point" - we may even invent situations and loose track as to whether we are on base or not.

* One way to deal with the paranioa is to TEST it and get a reality check - and prove to youself if it is founded on reality - have someone else help in this manner ?
* Get used to knowing that you will come up with more paranoid situations - and let them go - try to get distracted by something else. Do not give them too much attention.
* I would not start reading about personality disorders unless you think this will be helpfull - I have found it makes the situation worse. A nice thing about a ADD diagnosis is the it is such a complex phenomenon - there the best thing to do is find solutions instead of looking for more challenges.
That is some very good advice. My father instilled in me not to trust too much. I think the paranoia comes from anxiety and a combo of what my father taught me. I also seem to get anxious a lot. When I read the link above about paranoia, it kind of made me freak out because I am not that paranoid. Just a mild paranoia. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-04-04, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Actually, if the condition is bad enough to warrent needing a solution, then reading about it CAN help because then you CAN start finding solutions to the problem.

For instance, I am a recovering BPD (borderline personality disorder). I didn't know much about it until I read up about it and was like "wow that IS me" and "ok what does it say about ways to cope and treat this" and was able to find out BECAUSE I was researching and learning about it.

Saying that you shouldn't read up on a problem is like saying you shouldn't find a solution.

i.e. we are all here at these forums to read up on our ADD problems right? In hopes of finding solutions....

Think about it.
Old 09-04-04, 07:18 PM
Committee Member

BrightShadow is on a distinguished road
Becuase of my acute senses i listen for the creakes in the floor when somone is coming down the hall towards my room, and since i also have the front room of this house, i know ever everyone comes and goes everywhere... does this count?

-Bright Shadow
Old 09-06-04, 08:17 AM

electro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimegerise
Saying that you shouldn't read up on a problem is like saying you shouldn't find a solution.

i.e. we are all here at these forums to read up on our ADD problems right? In hopes of finding solutions....

Think about it.
You have a good point here - I think I am reflecting my own tendency to preoccupy on the self too much. You are correct in that we are all here to read up on our problems and sometimes when we take a detour that is ok.
Love is the ultimate answer. Love is not an abstraction but an actual energy, or spectrum of energies, which you can "create" and maintain in you being. Love disolves fear. You cannot be afraid when you are feeling love. Since everything is energy, and love encompasses all energies. - Messages from the Masters - Brian Weiss
Old 09-06-04, 11:41 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Reading about personality disorders is a risk, due to the ol' First Year Psychology Student's Syndrome. When reading about disorders, it's human nature to apply every single one to themself. Most disorders have enough "normal" symptoms that it's not hard, and next thing you know, you have 10 self-diagnosed mental problems, none of which are really there...they warn about that a lot in Psych Textbooks, actually.

If you're concerned, get evaluated. It's better than self-diagnosing, and it's better to go into a diagnostic session without something in mind, or you might consciously or subconsciously go out of your way to mimic the disorder.
Old 09-06-04, 12:33 PM

Quote:
and sometimes when we take a detour that is ok.
My whole life is a detour!!!!!
Old 09-06-04, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller
Reading about personality disorders is a risk, due to the ol' First Year Psychology Student's Syndrome. When reading about disorders, it's human nature to apply every single one to themself. Most disorders have enough "normal" symptoms that it's not hard, and next thing you know, you have 10 self-diagnosed mental problems, none of which are really there...they warn about that a lot in Psych Textbooks, actually.

If you're concerned, get evaluated. It's better than self-diagnosing, and it's better to go into a diagnostic session without something in mind, or you might consciously or subconsciously go out of your way to mimic the disorder.
I didn't say anything about self diagnosing....and as I have said before in these forums, ONLY when a problem is severe enough to cause severe malfunction in one's life does it warrant a diagnosis of a disorder.

Personally, I didn't even study up on BPD until I was DXed.