ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-23-11, 06:30 PM

ADDinSRQ is on a distinguished road
Adderall to Concerta conversion?

Does any one know how to convert adderall to concerta. I'm going to ask for Daytrana tomorrow but the only conversions from Daytrana I found was from Concerta to Daytrayna.

If I know how to convert Concerta to Adderall I can convert Adderall to Daytrana. I heard that the conversion was something like 1.8mg of Concerrta to 1mg of Adderall.

I'm on the IR btw so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 06-23-11, 07:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,164 Times in 554 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of
Re: Adderall to Concerta conversion?

Adderall is maybe 1.5-2x as powerful and lasts about 3x as long as the same amount of methylphenidate.... but it varies by individual. A lot.

Why are you going to Daytrana? Just curious.
Old 06-23-11, 07:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I've always used this conversion chart: http://www.johnswank.com/Dosing%20an...Stimulants.htm for my own reference, but only because it's the first thing that pops up on Google. The majority of the information on the website (aside from this chart) seems rather suspect, so I'm only endorsing the chart based on my personal experiences with a few different medications.

I took 72mg Concerta and found that 25-30mg Adderall IR seems equivalent (possibly more effective).
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-11, 07:17 PM

I'm going to Daytrana because having to watch what foods I eat with adderall is getting old. Also 2 20mg of adderall twice a day is not lasting like I need it to. And lastly the crash on adderall sucks. I'm hoping Daytrana lasts longer

But I think this is going t be expensive seeing as I'd probably have to use 2 30mg patches a day.
Old 06-23-11, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishcan View Post
I've always used this conversion chart: http://www.johnswank.com/Dosing%20an...Stimulants.htm for my own reference, but only because it's the first thing that pops up on Google. The majority of the information on the website (aside from this chart) seems rather suspect, so I'm only endorsing the chart based on my personal experiences with a few different medications.

I took 72mg Concerta and found that 25-30mg Adderall IR seems equivalent (possibly more effective).
That cant be right. 40 mg of adderall IR is equal too 252mgs of concerta?

And what the heck does B.I.D. and T.I.D. mean. I hate abbreviations
Old 06-23-11, 07:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDinSRQ View Post

Hmmm. Maybe it's not a very good chart. To clarify, 40mg IR adderall would be found under 20mg, because BID means twice a day. But that still converts to a dose of Concerta that exceeds what most people would ever take. I'll look around for a better chart (I know I've seen others) but I would say that I'd put 40mg IR Adderall around 54-72mg Concerta.
Old 06-23-11, 07:46 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,126 Times in 7,188 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, here is a rough conversion:

18mg Concerta (about 4-5mg methylphenidate 3x a day) = about 5mg Adderall xr (2.5 mg of mix amp IR 2x a day)

27mg Concerta (6mg methylphenidate 3x a day) = about 10mg Adderall xr (5 mg mix amp IR 2 x a day)

36mg Concerta(8 mg methylphenidate 3 x a day)= 20mg Adderall xr (10mg mix amp IR 2x a day)

54mg Concerta (12 mg methylphenidate 3x a day) = 25mg - 30mg of Adderall xr (between 12.5 and 15 mg mix amp IR 2x a day).

Since Adderall doesn't dose 3 times a day, it's hard to get an exact conversion. Also a conversion from methylphenidate to amphetamines won't be exact, two different medications. This is fairly close. Someone else may be able to give you a better conversion. But surely your doctor will know how to convert this, if he/she prescribes these meds on a regular basis?

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi

Last edited by BR549; 06-23-11 at 08:08 PM..
Old 06-23-11, 08:06 PM

I read that some where. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to ask for a 30mg and 20mg patch to use at the same time. Maybe that will equal the 40mg of Adderall IR I take each day. I'm in the middle of a very hectic summer semester and cannot afford to have to low a dose in my system. I have to do more reading because I read somewhere that the patch actually lets more medication in the system because you don't lose any from stomach acids.
Old 06-23-11, 11:06 PM
Contributor

novaprospekt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDinSRQ View Post

BID stands for bis in die, Latin for "taken twice daily"
TID stands for ter in die, Latin for "taken three times daily"

You may also have seen QD or quaque die, Latin for "once daily"

Basically, doctors write your prescriptions in Latin which is why you usually can't read or understand what they say.

Some people on this forum or other websites obnoxiously use them as if they are a doctor or pharmacist but even if they were, I think it is generally much more helpful and friendly to take the extra second and type out the dosing regimen instead of typing the abbreviations used in the professional trade. Most of us are laypeople anyway.
I am not a doctor. I am a 21yo college student studying biochemistry and pre-medicine. I have extensive interest in pharmacology, particularly in the fields of mental disorders. I hope my advice is helpful but always discuss problems or changes to medications with your doctor first!