ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 06-30-11, 11:14 AM

GrinReaper will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Vyvanse and Depression

So I am on 30 mg Vyvanse (which obviously is not enough). I am super efficient in the mornings, not so much in the evenings.

Yesterday i had the biggest slump when Vyvanse wore off. I don't think I have ever been that depressed in my life. All I could see was how everything was going wrong in my life. Even when I tried I couldn't see anything positive or be thankful for what I had. I have not uttered a word from my mouth for the past 12 - 13 hours and have kind of been a catatonic state.

I have been sleeping since what seems like forever, and skipped last night's meal despite actually being hungry. Still a little depressed and don't feel like talking to anybody.

All, I have been thinking about is how sad and pointless life is and how little hope there is and thinking about ways a person can end their life so that all their organs may still be usable for donations.

I am still to take my morning dose of Vyvanse, which is going to be 1.5 capsules as suggested by my doc in case vyvanse wears of quickly and hopefully see the difference.
Old 06-30-11, 03:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vyvanse and Depression

I know I've replied to your Vyvanse posts before, and not trying to sound like a broken record or discourage you in the least, but you sound exactly like me when I was taking Vyvanse. Daily, usually near the "crash" part of the day, I would become withdrawn (virtually catatonic) and would entertain really dark thoughts that truly disturbed me, as it didn't feel like these thoughts were really coming from me. I felt like the drug was changing me in a very bad way. And I worried about that to the point that I was practically convinced that what I was experiencing was simply who I was, it was my reality, and it wouldn't get better.

This continued for a month until I could no longer tolerate any more of these intrusive, frightening, and entirely unproductive thoughts. The first day I switched from Vyvanse to something different, I was my old self again. A little less focused at the beginning of the day, but not brooding and introspective and depressed and weird.

I know you're trying hard to make this med work for you, and it's great that you're so determined to stick it out. But if you are truly thinking about the best way to kill yourself, is it really worth the battle? Have you mentioned any of these thoughts to your doctor? You deserve to find a med that helps your symptoms without making you totally miserable, and I'm sure you can. I hope today is a much better day for you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
GrinReaper (06-30-11), sorahh (08-05-11)
Old 06-30-11, 05:16 PM

Thanks Trishcan - both for replying (cos you are the only one who does) and your experiences are pretty much identical to what I am experiencing and it's heartening to have your words of wisdom.

I did call my doctor's office today and left a message for my her (they don't let you talk to them in between sessions), still waiting to hear from her though. I remembered that you mentioned that chances of getting my medication right in the first go are low, so I am exploring options. I read somewhere here that 30 mg Vyvanse with another stimulant later in the day helps and I might suggest that possibility to my doc.

I tend to give the benefit of doubt to this situation only cos its been just 5 days now since i've started this. I hope today is better, and so far it seems good.

How does two 30 mgh pills one in the morning and one in the evening sound? or one 30 mg followed by an additional Adderall IR or Dexedrine(since that is dexamfetamine as well?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-11, 09:14 PM

trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I saw in another post that your doctor bumped you from 30 to 60. I imagine that's so you don't have to go out and get a new script, but that does seem like quite a leap to skip 40 and 50 entirely.

And you're right to think that the unpleasant side effects should diminish over time. In most cases and with most meds, they do.

As far as the two 30 in the AM, that's what your doc suggested, right? Like I mentioned, seems high, but I guess you'll find out soon enough. I wouldn't mess with it in the evening (some people say that they take afternoon doses with their doc's okay, but it generally seems like a pretty bad idea to take an allegedly long-acting med so late in the day).

My opinion on Vyvanse is that if you find you're needing to take it multiple times in one day or split doses and space them out, you may as well be taking a short-acting medication.
Old 06-30-11, 09:57 PM

I personally would prefer it to be on adderall seeing as it is a tried a and tested drug and Vyvanse does have sort of an erratic efficacy across people.

Well, my psych had asked me to take 1.5 but what the hell do i do with half of an open capsule ?! So I called to confirm today, she never called back. So i called their emergency on call doc who happens to be the boss of the psych i was seeing (she is actually a psych nurse practitioner). She told me to bump it up to 60. This was after i told her that Vyvanse lasts me barely till 2 (which is true, after that it starts waning off till by 5 its completely gone)

So I may have to call to get another prescription because i know I will run out of these caps soon. After one week if i feel different I can continue this, if not I can tell her about all the other people's experiences with Vyvanse and just stick to Adderall now when my semester needs me to be at my top game.

Dose optimization can be experimented with after the semester.
Old 06-30-11, 10:03 PM

If you do want to take half a cap, you can open it and eyeball the dose by shaking out half of it into a glass of water or applejuice. It won't affect the way your body metabolizes the drug or anything.
Old 06-30-11, 10:06 PM

What do i with the left over ? I didn't know what to do with the left over stuff or if i could leave it like that over night.
Old 06-30-11, 10:14 PM

Well, if you take one 30mg capsule and dump half of one into a glass of water and drink it, you can just keep the half empty pill for the next day. Just be sure to put it somewhere where you'll remember it's not a full pill...
Old 06-30-11, 10:20 PM

I guess that does seem more sensible than doubling it. Ok, ~45 mg it is tomorrow.

How much does liver functioning have an effect on the theoretical time this drug spends in you system?

I did read about this in other threads. If my liver enzymes necessary for conversion to dexamfetamine are low, my blood levels would be low to right?
Old 07-06-11, 04:32 AM

Mystikz is on a distinguished road

Im so glad i found this post I have been having this same problem with this wierd depression that i have never had before a month ago i recently got switched to vyvanse from adderall dx. And its a strange feeling its not suicidal but i always am thinking that every second of the day it doesnt matter how i spend that time im just getting closer and closer to death. Its such dark thoughts i hate it so much i might switch back i dont want to feel this way anymore!
Old 07-06-11, 02:26 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,061 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

thats not depression OP. its an effect of vyvanse that is ussually temporary when you start taking it. I was like that also but it went away. Im more like a tired lethargy, not depression.
Old 07-07-11, 08:31 AM

Capt Oblivious has a spectacular aura aboutCapt Oblivious has a spectacular aura about

Grinreaper - I hope things have gotten better!

It's interesting how these meds affect people so differently! I started out on Adderal (generic) 10mg 3x/day. The afternoon crash was just awful! I was irritable, tired, unable to concentrate on anything - yuk! It was just like the days before I started Wellbutrin, just a "black" mood.

Now I'm on vyvanse 70mg and it's so much better. No "crash" at all. the worst side effect is dry mouth and recently a little bruxism (teeth clenching), which seems to be going away.

If you're on a med and it's causing intolerable side effects, I'd suggest seeing your prescriber ASAP and talk about other options. What's awful for me may be magic for you.