ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 07-05-11, 12:25 AM
Jr Member

TheSCaTman is on a distinguished road
SCT is a horrible disease

I discovered SCT a few days ago, and it was literally a life changing moment, because it was the first time in my life I had found any 100% accurate third-party description of the syndrome that I suffer from. I have tried on a lot of different diagnoses, especially over the last 8 years, but none have ever quite explained everything or had some parts that didn't fit. My life will from now on be divided into before and after I found out about SCT.

I gather that there is a debate in the ADHD community as to whether or not SCT should be split off and made into a separate disorder. I am firmly in favor of separating it. Perhaps the most powerful reason I can think of for splitting it off is that SCT is a horrible disease. I can think of nothing good about it. I would say that it ruined my life, but that would presuppose that at one time I had a life to ruin. The thing about mainline ADHD is that there is a strain of thought in the ADHD community that advocates that ADHD is actually a gift and you can learn to love it. It apparently gives some people extraordinary levels of creativity and lots of energy which propels them to great achievements. They are not talking about my disease. There is nothing good about SCT. Nothing.

Some people may debate whether ADHD, Combined Type is truly a disease or just a trait that has some good and some bad about it. SCT is unquestionably a disease. Being lumped in with people who are "ADD and Loving It," to quote the name of a recent documentary, doesn't make me feel any better. In fact, it makes me feel worse. Hearing about high-achievers with a disorder that happens to share the name official name as mine just makes me feel really low. It's hard to pick up a book or any kind of popular literature on ADHD, because it is invariably geared toward someone else's disorder. The ADHD tent is not big enough to hold one disorder that makes you high-energy and creative and one that destroys you. So, I am waiting and hoping that the psychiatric community comes around to the idea of splitting off SCT, if for no other reason than that I want to read about my disorder in a tone that is appropriate to the devastating disease that it is.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheSCaTman For This Useful Post:
ADifferentDrum (02-02-13), ginniebean (07-05-11), Jade Sea (07-05-11), Jag78 (09-26-12), SirSleepsAlot (10-15-11), Spaceout (03-22-14)
Old 07-05-11, 07:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,283 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SCT is a horrible disease

I could be wrong on this or misunderstanding you but SCT and adhd are not diseases. There is no magic formal treatment that fixes either one. I don't know a whole lot about separating the two conditions but to my understanding it serves no good in trying to divide and concur the two. I thought(I could be wrong ) that they were both treated in similar ways whether thats medication or therapy. If it were me being forced to differentiate between the two I wouldn't focus on what other people say about adhd vs SCT. It doesn't matter who thinks it's a gift or who thinks its a curse. Ultimately the disorders still impact people in different ways which is why treatment options are so individualized. Spending time and energy wondering why someone said adhd is a gift or why adhd is the same as SCT won't get you treatment any faster. Its better to focus on how it affects you and what you can do about it.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BR549 (07-06-11), Dizfriz (07-05-11), ginniebean (07-05-11), Hypoactive (02-10-12), markadd (07-06-11), Spacemaster (07-06-11)
Old 07-05-11, 08:38 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

AbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant future

I guess I've come to believe that there are relatively few things in this world that is either completely good or completely bad.

I don't know whether I have SCT or not, but the hyperfocus and the tendency to daydream that are associated with inattentive ADHD can be helpful in certain situations.

I've come to believe that it isn't very useful to sit around worrying about whether your strengths are outweighed by your weaknesses or vice versa. We ALL have strengths and we ALL have weaknesses. I firmly believe that success in life comes from finding situations in which your weaknesses have minimal impact and your strengths are utilized.

I have also come to believe that it almost doesn't matter how many things there are that you AREN'T good at. What matters is finding something that you ARE good at that can make the world a better place. Steven Hawking is one of the greatest scientists alive today. He will be remembered for CENTURIES -- even though he can't even feed himself, can't walk, can't do much of anything. What does matter is the fact that he has a fantastic scientific mind.

Yes, you can send me my "Cheesy Optomist Award" now.
jgthejedi510 (07-06-11), markadd (07-06-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 04:03 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I could be wrong on this or misunderstanding you but SCT and adhd are not diseases. There is no magic formal treatment that fixes either one.
A lot of diseases are incurable.

Quote:
I don't know a whole lot about separating the two conditions but to my understanding it serves no good in trying to divide and concur the two.
We will have to disagree on that.

Quote:
I thought(I could be wrong ) that they were both treated in similar ways whether thats medication or therapy.
They are both treated with stimulants. I have not gotten therapy targeted to this condition, but I would think the therapy would be much different. For instance, there would be no need to talk about how to overcome impulsiveness, manage hyperfocus, avoid interrupting people, etc. The ADHD literature that I've come across has very little to say to me.

Quote:
If it were me being forced to differentiate between the two I wouldn't focus on what other people say about adhd vs SCT. It doesn't matter who thinks it's a gift or who thinks its a curse.
I think I might benefit from some kind of support group. But I could not feel supported at a support group if it made me feel ashamed of being disabled by this condition.

Quote:
Ultimately the disorders still impact people in different ways which is why treatment options are so individualized. Spending time and energy wondering why someone said adhd is a gift or why adhd is the same as SCT won't get you treatment any faster.
I think I must have touched a nerve here. I don't think I need to respond directly to this sentiment. There is good reason to think about the differences, because it has implications for diagnosis, the ability for SCT people to feel supported, and educating the public.

Quote:
Its better to focus on how it affects you and what you can do about it.
I don't think your advice is offered in a spirit of giving, but thanks anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSCaTman For This Useful Post:
bradd (07-09-11)
Old 07-05-11, 04:46 PM
Jr Member

Let me share my suspicion about SCT. This may clarify the issue.

I suspect that there must be a sizable number of people out there with severe SCT symptoms who think they have something else, like treatment-resistant depression (TRD) or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). I went through both of those possibilities before eventually finding SCT. It took a lot of time and money to get through the false diagnoses. The public perception of ADHD is not of a disorder that makes you feel tired and unable to think most of the time. I went to a local ADHD meetup to learn more about it a few years back, and I came away with the impression that I couldn't possibly have it. I didn't relate to the people I met there. None of my psychiatrists was particularly interested in pursuing the ADHD diagnosis, either, although the word was mentioned a few times. In fact, I went to school to be an LVN/LPN, and while getting formal training in psychiatric nursing, I never noticed the existence of this type of ADHD. So, for the sake of community outreach alone, I feel there could be significant benefits to either bringing more attention to this counter-intuitive subtype of ADHD or giving it its own diagnosis. It would have saved me at lot of heartache.

If I am correct in assuming there must be others who, like I did, are pursuing incorrect diagnoses like TRD or CFS, they are likely to be the worst cases and the ones that cause the most disability. They are the ones that could benefit the most from better community outreach.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheSCaTman For This Useful Post:
bowwow (08-10-11), bradd (07-09-11), Fortress (01-27-12), greenarrow (10-18-11), nomoredenial (04-23-12)
Old 07-05-11, 07:37 PM

Squirrely Seth has a spectacular aura aboutSquirrely Seth has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsentMindProf View Post
I guess I've come to believe that there are relatively few things in this world that is either completely good or completely bad.

I don't know whether I have SCT or not, but the hyperfocus and the tendency to daydream that are associated with inattentive ADHD can be helpful in certain situations.

I've come to believe that it isn't very useful to sit around worrying about whether your strengths are outweighed by your weaknesses or vice versa. We ALL have strengths and we ALL have weaknesses. I firmly believe that success in life comes from finding situations in which your weaknesses have minimal impact and your strengths are utilized.

I have also come to believe that it almost doesn't matter how many things there are that you AREN'T good at. What matters is finding something that you ARE good at that can make the world a better place. Steven Hawking is one of the greatest scientists alive today. He will be remembered for CENTURIES -- even though he can't even feed himself, can't walk, can't do much of anything. What does matter is the fact that he has a fantastic scientific mind.

Yes, you can send me my "Cheesy Optomist Award" now.
This is a real nice way of thinking and i congratulate and envy you for such. There are days I would consider solitary confinement in jail or a very strict military life better than one of freedom and education. I need an adult Popsicle or something

DX: Diagnosed 9yrs w/ ADHD Pretty sure its the inattentive type with SCT. Bi-Polar (looks like type II) dyslexia, depression, and anxiety.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
Old 07-05-11, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jade Sea is on a distinguished road

Thank you for that post TheSCaTman. I feel wholeheartedly the same as you do and I share your misgivings to a T. I too only recently stumbled by accident across this whole 'SCT' issue. Don't get me wrong I am awfully glad I did as it has helped me to answer so many questions about myself in such a short amount of time. It will be very interesting to see how the psych fraternity approaches this fairly new class of 'disorder' and the recommendations they'll afford us 'sufferers'. In the meantime all we can do is help each other by providing support and helping to shed light by 'giving evidence' of our own experiences.
The fatigue and depression that I believe this SCT is responsible for is nothing short of dreadful, but I remain hopeful that I will be able to deal with it more effectively at some point (hopefully not nearer the end of my life though when it won't be much use). I do however still count myself lucky to have certain attributes like the hyperfocus that my ADHD-PI affords.
Stay hopeful brother, it is still within our ability to make our lives better!
bradd (07-09-11), TheSCaTman (07-05-11)
Old 07-05-11, 09:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,983 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Should SCT be classified as it's own disorder the recommendations that are suggested at the present time are.

CBT therapy which apparently has the best success for those with SCT more so than for those with ADHD. Excercise to increase energy levels and traditional therapy to counter the psychological damage.

Medication treatment is unlikely to be indicated as studies done on those with SCT have shown that well over 90% of people with SCT do not respond to medication therapy.

Sarah is correct in that SCT is not a disease state, it too would be classified as a disorder.

The vast majority of us WITH adhd find both the gifter apologetic way overstated, and a marketing gimmick and the holding out the super achievers as some kind of standard... deceptive, deflating and counter productive.

Your drawing lines where they don't belong.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-07-11), dsvlil1 (07-06-11), Fortune (07-05-11), LaVieEnRose (07-13-11), Lunacie (07-08-11), namazu (07-05-11), sarahsweets (07-05-11), sarek (07-07-11), Spacemaster (07-06-11)
Old 07-05-11, 10:04 PM
Jr Member

You can't be a little bit hyperactive and also a little bit sluggish. You're either one or the other.

It's not that I harbor any ill-will toward the people that have the other kind of ADHD. I just think there are negative consequences to getting the two kinds jumbled up.
Old 07-06-11, 03:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

sciencer has disabled reputation

3:34am

I too think I might have SCT
I just can't stop thinking, I can't remember the last time I ever relaxed about anything. the meds don't help at all. I constantly day dream to the point of insanity. even now I have a side thing happening in my head.

I too have suggested this SCT have its own grouping but may when there is more research then they will make a section for it.

the whole thing about ADHD being a gift is just a marketing tool for companies. many of us suffer and understand ur pain..

maybe you can describe ur troubles to us to better help you..
I have been going to therapy for it hasn't help.. maybe just a bit with handling the stress.

Youtube: management of adhd
Old 07-06-11, 08:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,032 Times in 461 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of

I feel as if I'm sluggish, yet other people who have to cope with me day in, day out, say I'm overly active and even extremely demanding mentally, because I cannot ever stop thinking.

However, when I feel like (5+7+4)/3x4 is something I cannot focus, it is because my mind is sluggish still.

But maybe my perception is just off. I do not know.

As to whether or not SCT should be something seperate, I believe that we have still so much to learn about both conditions and therefore it is advisable to give the researchers a lot of time still. Mind you that adult ADHD is still a relatively young dx as well. Perhaps one day they'll find such a significant difference between the two - or they will find it is the same, but just with a different outcome.
Whether or not you would have been dx'd quicker if SCT was a stand-alone disability, is something I highly doubt.

As for ADHD'ers finding their disorder, their disability a gift, that is highly subjective. There is no evidence that ADHD is a gift. I hope that ADHD would give me something positive in return, but it has had great effect on my life as well, although I am on the higher range of intelligence, there is no evidence of that in both my studies and carreer. It only shows on a piece of paper. So, yes, ADHD has ruined my life just as well as you feel your SCT has ruined yours.

Mind you, that before I had heard of ADHD and not always having to be an annoying, overly active kid, I was blaming my intelligence for not knowing how to study. So I too crinch whenever I hear them talking about people with high IQ as if they are "gifted". Everything that isn't within the normal range, is never a gift, but makes you be an outcast and only with enough help, can be turned into a gift.
No "special power" comes without a price to pay. Some people just learn to cope better.
bowwow (08-10-11)
Old 07-06-11, 10:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,983 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCaTman View Post
You can't be a little bit hyperactive and also a little bit sluggish. You're either one or the other.

It's not that I harbor any ill-will toward the people that have the other kind of ADHD. I just think there are negative consequences to getting the two kinds jumbled up.
Actually there you would be wrong. You can sit and fiddle your entire life away.

These kinds of black and white descriptions do a lot of damage and dismiss the experience of the majority of those with ADHD.

There aren't two types of ADHD there are three. It's not just 'hyper-sluggish", there's also combined type which YES is a combination of hyperactivity/impulsivity and inattentiveness.

You want to be different, you are. However it's probably best to describe YOU and not set out to tell others how thier symptoms 'must' be.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Etcetera (07-06-11), Kaimei (07-08-11), LaVieEnRose (07-13-11), Lunacie (07-08-11), sarahsweets (07-06-11)
Old 07-06-11, 12:40 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My hyperactivity manifests itself more mentally than physically. I have thoughts all over the place and can't find one thing to work on. So while physically I might not fidget but I fidget mentally so I believe you can have both.

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (07-06-11), markadd (07-06-11), PixieVixie (01-27-12)
Old 07-06-11, 06:49 PM
Jr Member

I am just glad that the decisions on classification are made by scientists using actual data and not on forums like this. If it was decided by who can be the most rude and condescending on forums, I am sure my position would not stand a chance. However, in the actual scientific community, it has more than a fighting chance. So, I will keep following the science and hoping and leave the forum debate to people who are better at taking and dishing out insults.
Old 07-06-11, 07:44 PM
Mod-A-holic

Smile Re: SCT is a horrible disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCaTman View Post
A lot of diseases are incurable.

We will have to disagree on that.

I feel like I may have been misunderstood here.I am not saying those with SCT especially those who think it is separate from adhd, should not be validated. My main point was just about seeking appropriate treatment whatever that may be to lesson the negative impairments it has on ones life. I think sometimes that getting wrapped up in trying to prove the differences between the two can ultimately make it difficult for sufferers of either condition to get significant treatment. And I do believe that therapy can benefit both subtypes of these disorders which are not diseases and there is no proven cure. My point was to not get caught up with lables and just work on tratment. I'm unclear as to why you

They are both treated with stimulants. I have not gotten therapy targeted to this condition, but I would think the therapy would be much different. For instance, there would be no need to talk about how to overcome impulsiveness, manage hyperfocus, avoid interrupting people, etc. The ADHD literature that I've come across has very little to say to me.

I think I might benefit from some kind of support group. But I could not feel supported at a support group if it made me feel ashamed of being disabled by this condition.

I think I must have touched a nerve here. I don't think I need to respond directly to this sentiment. There is good reason to think about the differences, because it has implications for diagnosis, the ability for SCT people to feel supported, and educating the public.

I don't think your advice is offered in a spirit of giving, but thanks anyway.
I feel as though I was misunderstood. I do not think a debate about the differences between SCT and adhd offers more than juat debate. Treatment is the ultimate goal. Therapy, cbt, and stimulants have all been effective for both conditions. It's like "I'm more poor than you because I have no electricity or water or "no I'm more poor I have no food " both examples need the same kind of help in different ways. My thoughts on this were offered in the interest of support in a positive way and I apologize if you saw it differently. No nerves touched here just plans to put in action for treatment.

I carried a watermelon?