ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 07-08-11, 02:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,032 Times in 461 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of
Re: SCT is a horrible disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCaTman View Post
I think that you have read into my posts something that was not intended. The main thrust of my argument is that the bulk of what I hear and read about ADHD doesn't apply to my disorder. Hearing about the potential benefits of "ADHD," illusory though they may be, makes me feel even more marginalized. My condition has no good news and bad news, as far as I can tell there is only bad news. If the good news about the other "ADHD" is a lie, then that is a whole other problem, and one that I can't really talk about, because I don't know enough. All I can say for certain is that good solid information about SCT is hard to come by.

I do believe some parts of ADHD can benifit in certain situations, if the ADHD'er has chosen a wise carreer path and has learned great coping possibilities. But that is no other than any other disorder. There are people who are virtually immobilized and still play sports. Often, they will feel as if their disability has given them extra strenghts, to not give up, to fight. And, truly, it was their disability that learned them to not give up, ever.

But do we call their disability all of a sudden a gift to the greater population? No. Like I said, for Hawking, his ALS was a gift, because without it, he would've been the typical underachiever. Now, due to his ALS, many of us consider him to be (one of) the greatest brains alive.

The true gift is to see your disability as what it is. Not as a gift, but not as something that will make you fail either. Nothing is only negative or only positive. If you achieve something despite being SCT does that not make you even better than the people who achieved it without SCT?
jgthejedi510 (07-10-11), nanobabes (07-20-11)
Old 07-08-11, 09:29 AM

den1245 will become famous soon enough

what is SCT and what are the symtoms
Old 07-08-11, 09:36 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,656 Times in 8,856 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

SCT stands for Sluugish Cognitive Tempo

It is not a formal dx and is not listed in the DSM-IV (tho' it probably will be in the DSM-5)

The collection of symptoms comprising SCT can be found on Wikipedia.

You can also search ADDF for threads with "SCT" or "Sluggish Cognitive Tempo" mentioned in them.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-11, 09:37 AM

den1245 will become famous soon enough

thanks abi2010 have you got it
jamie
Old 07-08-11, 09:42 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,656 Times in 8,856 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not.

It's not really diagnosable... since it isn't yet recognised in the DSM.

I don't know... i've been mulling over it, but right now I'm leaning towards "No"

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 07-08-11, 09:49 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,575 Times in 8,573 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
SCT stands for Sluugish Cognitive Tempo
It is not a formal dx and is not listed in the DSM-IV (tho' it probably will be in the DSM-5)
Actually, it doesn't look like SCT is going to make the cut, as things currently stand.

Right now there are two potentially-applicable diagnoses, but both fall under the broad ADHD header:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM5(tentative)
A 11 Other Specified Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

This category is for disorders with prominent symptoms of inattention or hyperactivity-impulsivity that do not meet criteria for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Examples include

1. Individuals whose symptoms and impairment meet the criteria for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type but whose age at onset is 7 years or after
2. Individuals with clinically significant impairment who present with inattention and whose symptom pattern does not meet the full criteria for the disorder but have a behavioral pattern marked by sluggishness, daydreaming, and hypoactivity
This would be for people with SCT-like symptoms who do not meet full criteria for ADHD (even the PI "presentation").

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM5(tentative)
A 10 Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder with"Inattentive Presentation (Restrictive):
If Criterion A1 (Inattention) is met but no more than 2 symptoms from Criterion A2 (Hyperactivity-Impulsivity) have been present for the past 6 months."
This would be for people who meet the full criteria (i.e. symptom thresholds, age of onset, etc.) for ADHD without more than 2 hyperactive-impulsive symptoms.

Here's the link to the current proposal for DSM5 "Neurodevelopmental Disorders" (basically the category that used to be for disorders with childhood onset, revised somewhat), including ADHD, LDs, autistic-spectrum disorders, and tic disorders like Tourette's:
http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevision...Disorders.aspx

Last edited by namazu; 07-08-11 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Added link to DSM5.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-08-11)
Old 07-09-11, 02:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

bradd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsentMindProf View Post
I guess I've come to believe that there are relatively few things in this world that is either completely good or completely bad.

I don't know whether I have SCT or not, but the hyperfocus and the tendency to daydream that are associated with inattentive ADHD can be helpful in certain situations.

I've come to believe that it isn't very useful to sit around worrying about whether your strengths are outweighed by your weaknesses or vice versa. We ALL have strengths and we ALL have weaknesses. I firmly believe that success in life comes from finding situations in which your weaknesses have minimal impact and your strengths are utilized.

I have also come to believe that it almost doesn't matter how many things there are that you AREN'T good at. What matters is finding something that you ARE good at that can make the world a better place. Steven Hawking is one of the greatest scientists alive today. He will be remembered for CENTURIES -- even though he can't even feed himself, can't walk, can't do much of anything. What does matter is the fact that he has a fantastic scientific mind.

Yes, you can send me my "Cheesy Optomist Award" now.
AbsentMindProf: "I've come to believe that it isn't very useful to sit around worrying about whether your strengths are outweighed by your weaknesses or vice versa."

Yes, this is all very well and good. But you err in choosing to apply here the expression, "isn't useful to sit around worrying about...". Whose literally "worrying about" anything here? Okay, so the O.P. is focusing on negatives. Do you ever watch the nightly news? Oh but that's different, that's information. Yes, it is information but no it's not different. What the O.P. is expressing is information too. Just like most of what's on the nighly news, it may be soberingly negative information, yes. But that, in and of itself does not make negative, its validity to be listened to and heard.
Old 07-09-11, 08:27 PM

Squirrely Seth has a spectacular aura aboutSquirrely Seth has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
There is a lot of hostility on this thread and it has become quite honestly tiresome just to read all of the recriminations and denials and misunderstandings and prejudices and the like. I started it obviously in a moment of self-pity and now I wish I had just left it alone.

Totally agree I wanted to learn more about SCT and instead I ended up reading a horsesh*t loaded thread.

DX: Diagnosed 9yrs w/ ADHD Pretty sure its the inattentive type with SCT. Bi-Polar (looks like type II) dyslexia, depression, and anxiety.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
Old 07-17-11, 06:35 PM
Jr Member

daylate$short is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Let me share my suspicion about SCT. This may clarify the issue.

I suspect that there must be a sizable number of people out there with severe SCT symptoms who think they have something else, like treatment-resistant depression (TRD) or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). I went through both of those possibilities before eventually finding SCT. It took a lot of time and money to get through the false diagnoses. The public perception of ADHD is not of a disorder that makes you feel tired and unable to think most of the time. I went to a local ADHD meetup to learn more about it a few years back, and I came away with the impression that I couldn't possibly have it. I didn't relate to the people I met there. None of my psychiatrists was particularly interested in pursuing the ADHD diagnosis, either, although the word was mentioned a few times. In fact, I went to school to be an LVN/LPN, and while getting formal training in psychiatric nursing, I never noticed the existence of this type of ADHD. So, for the sake of community outreach alone, I feel there could be significant benefits to either bringing more attention to this counter-intuitive subtype of ADHD or giving it its own diagnosis. It would have saved me at lot of heartache.

If I am correct in assuming there must be others who, like I did, are pursuing incorrect diagnoses like TRD or CFS, they are likely to be the worst cases and the ones that cause the most disability. They are the ones that could benefit the most from better community outreach.
Well that's all well and good. But the second step after finding the disorder that fits you is getting treatment from a qualified professional. And most of them have never heard of sct. And even if they have its not in the dsm-IV so when you mention it they'll look at you like you have googleitis. Adhd inattentive sub type is how we're listed in the DSM-IVthats as good as it gets for now. More research needs to be done
Old 07-24-11, 11:39 PM

whatsthebuzz is on a distinguished road

first off SCT and ADHD are not diseases they are disorders hence they can be managed but not cured . I myself have been diagnosed with inattentive ADD though I'm pretty sure that its actually SCT, and I can safely and most heartily say that it has really ruined my life..on many occasions. Had it not been for it I would have been a much better achiever , more independent and not be at the mercy of my 'good days' to get things done. I also think its directly linked to the chronic fatigue I get from time to time (sometimes it lasts months, a few weeks or just a few days). I can't help but feel sorry for myself as I'm very intellectual yet I will fail exams and whole courses just cause my brain can't produce enough neurotransmitters , not to mention being unable to hold on to the ones it can make for very long. Whenever I think of how such a flaw could possibly exist after so many years of human evolution I just remember that there are far worse genetic disorders out there..many of which where drugs , supplements , behavioral therapy won't be of any good.
Old 07-27-11, 08:59 AM
Contributor

of_two_minds will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
You can sit and fiddle your entire life away.
I nearly teared up at this. (but I'm a boy and boys don't cry ) I'm 44 and have been sitting and fiddling my life away since about age 13.

I never knew there was a name for SCT until a few minutes ago. Haven't read carefully through the whole thread (for what should be obvious reasons on an ADD forum).

My dad always said I was two speed. Slow and Stop. My mom always told me I needed some kind of pep pills. My parents worked tirelessly to help me develop good study skills. Usually to no avail.

I made it through graduate school not because I learned to cope, or because of good skills, but because of intelligence.

I'm going to see my doc next week and want to know whatever there is to know about ADD(I), ADD(PI) and SCT.

Is there any hope?
The Following User Says Thank You to of_two_minds For This Useful Post:
bradd (07-28-11)
Old 07-27-11, 10:28 PM

Spirals is on a distinguished road

This is a tricky (and somewhat contentious) topic. I consider myself to fit the SCT mould more than anything else, and am not gifted, but did very well at university (mostly because I worked harder than most of my peers).

I have daydreamed all of my life. I actually think it has helped me academically in some ways, speaking only for myself. That is because I am also an abnormally curious person, and my daydreaming is often to do with questions my brain throws up at me (usually late at night). I will overanalyse and ask questions about material other people don't even consider, and because my professors were very tolerant of my endless curiosity, I did well. I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge, even if I can't always recall things too well. But I am also a little slow in terms of understanding things - I'm the sort of person who feels as if they have to wait for the neurons to start firing, who will read something and have it click later, not while I'm poring over it. By the way...does anyone else feel as if this slowness is very erratic? Sometimes I feel that my brain is ticking over like a well-oiled Ferrari; other times, and most of the time, I feel horribly sluggish. This unpredictability in my cognitive speed is puzzling to me, and I haven't been able to put my finger on what causes it.

Any job which is based on constant repetition is impossible for me to perform consistently well at. Data entry, burger flipping, I really can't do those for any length of time. But any job in which I am genuinely interested I am very motivated towards - I see there's some commonality here. I also empathise so much with time planning - that I also cannot do. I need an external timepiece at all times to keep track of time, as I have no natural ability to gauge it.

Ritalin does work for me. If I could keep the daydreaming curiosity and dump the fatigue, sleeping problems, bad timekeeping, disorganisation, and slowness, I would be happy. Perhaps, though, norepinephrine plays a role in SCT - the only antidepressant I took when I was being fobbed off by my doctor that had any measurable impact on my symptoms was the dual serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor Venlafaxine. Norepinephrine plays a role in alertness and vigilance, and might also play a role in the rewarding effects of dopamine itself (thinking of a recent rat study I was looking at the other day, where mice lacking dopamine receptors didn't get the usual rewarding effects from it). Hopefully, more research will lead to better drug treatments.

I would agree that people succeed with this despite the condition, not because of it. But the daydreaming, for me personally, is something I'd want to keep - just not in an overly repetitive environment.

Last edited by Spirals; 07-27-11 at 10:42 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spirals For This Useful Post:
ADDedADDvantage (06-03-12), ADifferentDrum (02-02-13), bradd (07-28-11), Marzipan (01-26-12), namazu (10-15-11)
Old 07-28-11, 05:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

bradd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthebuzz View Post
first off SCT and ADHD are not diseases they are disorders hence they can be managed but not cured . I myself have been diagnosed with inattentive ADD though I'm pretty sure that its actually SCT, and I can safely and most heartily say that it has really ruined my life..on many occasions. Had it not been for it I would have been a much better achiever , more independent and not be at the mercy of my 'good days' to get things done. I also think its directly linked to the chronic fatigue I get from time to time (sometimes it lasts months, a few weeks or just a few days). I can't help but feel sorry for myself as I'm very intellectual yet I will fail exams and whole courses just cause my brain can't produce enough neurotransmitters , not to mention being unable to hold on to the ones it can make for very long. Whenever I think of how such a flaw could possibly exist after so many years of human evolution I just remember that there are far worse genetic disorders out there..many of which where drugs , supplements , behavioral therapy won't be of any good.
It is hard. Harder than I think anyone who doesn't have it can adequately comprehend. But self pity I believe, as momentarily self-soothing as may feel, in the long stretch can be only self-defeating. Or so that's been my experience (with ADHD-I with SCT) at least.

brADD
Old 10-15-11, 05:16 PM

SirSleepsAlot is on a distinguished road

I am all for creating a separate category but I do not believe it is a disease. I believe it is a chemical inbalance of the brain and it is something you have to learn to love even if you hate it.

I am a fellow SCT and I am sitting in my dorm after sleeping for twelve hours sitting here with a mountain dew after taking 10mg of adderall (i take small doses all day) ready to go back to bed, I know where you are coming from.

However I will have to disagree that we do not have our own advantages. I personally can play a turn based strategy game on the computer for 18 hours straight unmediated or until it is time to create a new game then I become tired. I have an ability to manipulate people around me and great understanding of money management, strategical concepts, and how things work. I do not know why I am what I am but I think differently and it is as simple as that so maby you should try some Real time strategy games or a game that I am currently addicted to Making History.

Oh yes I forgot to mention that I agree with you 100% on the fact that the therapy offered is completely useless for us because they do not get the tired part....They fix impulsiveness but I would like to ask WHAT IMPULSIVENESS????

Good luck if you want to view my post on my life just find my thread only have 3.
Old 10-15-11, 05:27 PM

SirSleepsAlot is on a distinguished road

The reason I feel it should be separated along with Inattentive ADHD - PI is because the hyperactive side is so much more visible that it makes finding information on SCT virtually impossible. There are a few sites here and there but even on those you can usually find a comment of someone who has no idea what inattentive ADHD is. It just makes diagnosis awareness and treatment a lot more complicated.