ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-25-12, 09:16 PM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice
Re: SCT is a horrible disease

I have only read the first page of comments so maybe I am commenting a little bit prematurely, but I have to say I can relate wholeheartedly to what ScatMan has said. Those people who have ADD or ADHD and are still able to function and hold down a job will probably be inclined to see some of the positive aspects (like I can hyperfocus at my job and actually do better than my coworkers), but to those of us who feel that their lives have been ruined by SCT we completely disagree. My whole life I have been depressed, sluggish, daydreamy, have virtually no concentration, no energy, terrible memory, barely able to communicate. I have been on many different medications with virtually no positive effects. My whole life I have walked around like an undead zombie. Despite having a high IQ I am unable to do even the most menial jobs because I have zero concentration, and when I am able to concentrate on things that interest me it is for a very short period of time. I am not stupid. With these horrible symptoms I still scored a 126 on an IQ test yet I can't even concentrate on the most simplistic, mundane tasks.
Scatman I would be interested in hearing about your symptoms and if anything has helped you. I am desperate.
I don't care if SCT is considered a sub-category of ADHD I or it becomes an independant disorder, just as long as it finally becomes recognized by the medical and psychiatric community. I have tried the stimulants and nonstimulants and they only make my condition worse, so maybe then they would start making medications geared towards us SCTers.
Old 01-25-12, 09:34 PM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice

I just tried to send this message to scatman but it was too long so I'll just post it here.

I have just replied to your post that SCT is a horrible disease and I just would like you to know that SCT has completely and utterly ruined my life as well. I believe that many ADHDers are still able to function at jobs and have relationships so they tell you to quit whining when you talk about how miserable SCT is. They think they can relate because they have a similar disorder as you but they really can't beause their life has be only partly and temporarliy hampered by ADHD while my life has been ruined because of SCT. I would be interested in hearing which SCT symptoms in particular have bothered you the most. If anything has helped you, let me know. I basically suffer from all of the symptoms I have read about SCT except I somehow awaken my brain when I take tests, when I write, and I am good at math. Other then that the lack of energy, lack of motivation, nonexistant concentration, poor memory, constant daydreaming... have made my life a life barely worth living at times. I am on deplin and welbutrin now and that has given me a ton of energy but it actually made my concentration worse, but I am better then I was before overall. But it general the medications are pretty worthless for people with my condition. I have probably spent, I don't know, $9000 over the last 13 years on medications that do practically nothing.
Old 01-25-12, 09:57 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,688 Times in 12,963 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshect View Post
I just tried to send this message to scatman but it was too long so I'll just post it here.

I have just replied to your post that SCT is a horrible disease and I just would like you to know that SCT has completely and utterly ruined my life as well. I believe that many ADHDers are still able to function at jobs and have relationships so they tell you to quit whining when you talk about how miserable SCT is. They think they can relate because they have a similar disorder as you but they really can't beause their life has be only partly and temporarliy hampered by ADHD while my life has been ruined because of SCT. I would be interested in hearing which SCT symptoms in particular have bothered you the most. If anything has helped you, let me know. I basically suffer from all of the symptoms I have read about SCT except I somehow awaken my brain when I take tests, when I write, and I am good at math. Other then that the lack of energy, lack of motivation, nonexistant concentration, poor memory, constant daydreaming... have made my life a life barely worth living at times. I am on deplin and welbutrin now and that has given me a ton of energy but it actually made my concentration worse, but I am better then I was before overall. But it general the medications are pretty worthless for people with my condition. I have probably spent, I don't know, $9000 over the last 13 years on medications that do practically nothing.
I don't think anyone has adhd or sct worse then anyone else. They are equally debilitating, equally as tragic and bitter bitter disorders to the core. The less we compare the two the better.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-12, 10:14 PM
Contributor

Yes I do agree with you sarahsweets, I just got all worked up, sorry. There are probably people who, because of their ADHD symptoms, are serving long prison terms. While my life has been ruined by SCT, I am sure there are people whose lives have been ruined by ADHD. I am going to make a guess and say ADHDers have it a little better then SCTers because at least the medications work for most ADHDers don't they? I am dying to find a medication that will wake my brain up.
Old 01-25-12, 10:35 PM
Contributor

Oh, there I go again, sorry. While I do disagree and think overall one condition could be worse than another, I do agree that it is pointless and immature to argue over it.
Old 01-26-12, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

bradd will become famous soon enough

Of course it does no good to compare and argue over who suffers worse. Though I've suffered immensely I've always been aware that there are millions of people all over the world who are experiencing other conditions/situations/diseases, etc. who suffer far more than I could begin to imagine. For example, innocent people being systematically tortured due to violent political or other conditions... How can I know "objectively" that others suffer even more? Well I can't know this objectively. But I certainly can intuitively. Yet realizing this has not made my suffering any less (although, admittedly, it does make it seem "insignificant", as in "my" negative quality of life just doesn't matter; btw, this in turn helps only to turn the wheels of hopelessness, meaninglessness, depersonalization and the risk of abject despair/clinical depression occurring.) I'm rambling... Sorry! The only point though that truly does need to somehow be heard is that SCT is a much bigger cause of suffering than family members, peers, and the medical establishment are able to perceive. Therefore it stands little chance of being recognized as one of the many medical causes of suffering that is worth a serious scientific research effort to find and develop at least one robust treatment for.

bradd

PS: I know I should re-write this so as to get my meaning across more clearly, but I'll be late for a job interview if I do. So gotta go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshect View Post
Oh, there I go again, sorry. While I do disagree and think overall one condition could be worse than another, I do agree that it is pointless and immature to argue over it.
Old 01-26-12, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCaTman View Post
You can't be a little bit hyperactive and also a little bit sluggish. You're either one or the other.
I disagree with that. I can be both hyperactive and sluggish.
Old 01-26-12, 08:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

bradd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
I disagree with that. I can be both hyperactive and sluggish.
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Having followed the context of the conversation as well myself, it seemed to me that the OP's meaning was (to paraphrase, in orange letters):

"You can't be a little bit AD/HD-hyperactive and also have Sluggish Cognitive Tempo".

Did you read it the same? If so then -please, I just want to confirm- when you say you "can be both hyperactive and sluggish", are you saying that you have experienced, both, AD/HD hyperactivity symptoms and the Sluggish Cognitive Tempo cluster of symptoms?

Thanks ,
bradd
Old 01-26-12, 08:29 PM
Contributor

Well, since nobody knows exactly whether SCT is part of ADHD-I or in it's seperate category, it's hard to answer that question. I don't kow much about the combined type of ADHD, but if ADHD and ADHD-I can be combined into one disorder and SCT ends up being a part of ADHD-I then I guess it may be possible.
Old 01-26-12, 09:10 PM
Jr Member

BaseCase is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I don't think anyone has adhd or sct worse then anyone else. They are equally debilitating, equally as tragic and bitter bitter disorders to the core. The less we compare the two the better.
I think this is the exact opposite of the truth.

The symptoms of ADHD are exhibited on a long, continuous, multidimensional scale. Everyone exhibits at least some of the symptoms. What sets those diagnosed apart is the number of, degree of, and level of impairment caused by, the symptoms. And even among the diagnosed population there is still a huge variance in symptoms.

It is not a binary "yes/no" sort of thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to BaseCase For This Useful Post:
LaMbaL (01-29-12)
Old 01-26-12, 10:21 PM

spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd View Post
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Having followed the context of the conversation as well myself, it seemed to me that the OP's meaning was (to paraphrase, in orange letters):

"You can't be a little bit AD/HD-hyperactive and also have Sluggish Cognitive Tempo".

Did you read it the same? If so then -please, I just want to confirm- when you say you "can be both hyperactive and sluggish", are you saying that you have experienced, both, AD/HD hyperactivity symptoms and the Sluggish Cognitive Tempo cluster of symptoms?

Thanks ,
bradd
Certainly. One more than the other, of course, but certainly I have experienced both.
Old 01-26-12, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you mean to say that one disorder is not worse than the other, or that no one person can have a more severe case than another person?

I have to say for myself that I have never considered my ADHD as a tragedy or been particularly bitter about it. It's just a challenge that I've been dealt that I have to live with and work around as part of my reality.
Old 01-27-12, 05:29 PM

Appel has a spectacular aura aboutAppel has a spectacular aura about

For one, I totally agree with you for a few reasons.

1) It makes you look stupid, when your obviously 'not catching on' as fast as everyone else does. Including 'Regular' ADDers (If there is a type that is). It's not that you can't learn something new, your just slow at it.

2) Your odds of being socially isolated are much greater, with the difficulty of keeping up with the conversation and/or just not appearing to be interested.

3) The difficulty of finding effective medications/treatments; It's not a simple as boosting dopamine or blocking re-uptake, and just coming up with good organization strategies.

My wife is mildly ADHD hyperactive and HIGHLY successful, she has a nearly endless source of energy, can pick up things quite quickly, and very sociable. She has her own assistants at work that take care of all the organizing. At home I take care of much of the day-to-day stuff, so she doesn't have to worry about hardly anything around the house. Not my cup of tea, but it's the best I can do for the family.

I am extremely intelligent, and have my share of minor technological (and other) successes, including a novel scientific application of LEDs. But my time management skills suck; ask any of my former employers and they would say I'm smart, innovative, and gets along well with other people. But that I'm a bit slow, can be extremely opinionated, not all that energetic, and disrespectful to authority. (I generally don't respect authority because they do stupid inefficient **** that serves no purpose in my mind.)

Not to say it's totally hopeless, but success so far is very limited, and I'm getting to the age where it's going to be too late to matter anyway.

It's like living, but being dead, simply knowing what the problem is but not being able to do a lot about it. So much to contribute but unable to do so because no one has the impression you can.

As far as meds. I've gone homeopathic (Piracetam) it seems to do just as much, if not more than Ritalin, Dexedrine, Strattera or Wellbutrin. I'm also working on CBT with probably the best results. However, I am going to try low dose Adderall and Provigil in the next couple of weeks, because that looks like my own best bet as far as meds after many hours of online reading. About ******* time the PI variation has been categorized.

-Jerry

Edit: not to confuse anyone, but I think the ADHD-PI and SCT are virtually the same thing if not the same, at least at this point. And I seriously question if it's a neurotransmitter imbalance of some sort of gene expression (mutation if you will), possibly something less-than-optimal in the Axon or Dendrite structure. Also, there are worse mental disorders to have, But I'd trade for ADHD Hyperactive any day!

Last edited by Appel; 01-27-12 at 05:44 PM..
Old 01-27-12, 05:54 PM

Appel has a spectacular aura aboutAppel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSleepsAlot View Post
I am a fellow SCT and I am sitting in my dorm after sleeping for twelve hours sitting here with a mountain dew after taking 10mg of adderall (i take small doses all day) ready to go back to bed, I know where you are coming from.

Oh yes I forgot to mention that I agree with you 100% on the fact that the therapy offered is completely useless for us because they do not get the tired part....They fix impulsiveness but I would like to ask WHAT IMPULSIVENESS????
A) I might suggest you look at provigil/nuvigil - I'm the same way when it comes to sleeping, and figure it couldn't hurt.

B) Yes how flipping useless therapy could/would be, as long as got a Medical Doctor willing to write you that script after explaining your reasoning, there's no need for to involve anyone else.

C) Just 10 milligrams....wow, think I'll start there then.

-Jerry
Old 01-28-12, 10:42 PM
Jr Member

sleepchild will become famous soon enough

Hey, have you heard of story, The Cracked Pot? ;D

Once upon a time a water bearer had two large pots, each hung on the end of a pole which he carried across his neck.

One of the pots was perfectly made and never leaked.

The other pot had a crack in it and by the time the water bearer reached his master's house it had leaked much of it's water and was only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his master's house.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments.

But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream.

"I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you."

"Why?" asked the bearer. "What are you ashamed of?"

"I have been able, for these past two years, to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your master's house. Because of my flaws, you have to do all of this work, and you don't get full value from your efforts," the pot said.

The water bearer felt sorry for the old cracked pot, and in his compassion he said, "As we return to the master's house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path."

Indeed, as they went up the hill, the old cracked pot took notice of the sun warming the beautiful wild flowers on the side of the path, and this cheered it some.

But at the end of the trail, it still felt bad because it had leaked out half its load, and so again the pot apologized to the bearer for its failure.

The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of your path, but not on the other pot's side?

That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I took advantage of it.

I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back from the stream, you've watered them.

For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate my master's table.

Without you being just the way you are, he would not have this beauty to grace his house."