ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 07-05-11, 08:15 PM

TheRoof is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin + Dexedrine = Good Combo?

I have been taking Wellbutrin (Generic/Bupriopron) 150mg for over 1 1/2 months. It took a few weeks for it to kick in.
I have started Dexedrine 5mg today.

I have heard that when consuming dexedrine that you should avoid things like ascorbic acid, Vitamin C. Basically the acidic components since it could create malbsorption issues and not make Dexedrine as potent. What are some "Diet" tips you recommend to make the BEST out of dexedrine/Wellbutrin Combo? Or any proper diet for a stimulant drug in general to make the best of it.

Responces are appreciated.
Thank You so much.

edit:
Useless info (If needed) - I do not enjoy drinking alcohol and no history of substance abuse.
(I also take vitamins every day)
Men's Multi-Vitamin
Potent B-Complex
Fish Oil (Omega 3's)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoof For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-05-11)
Old 07-05-11, 08:25 PM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,719 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wellbutrin + Dexedrine = Good Combo?

Bad combo.

Apparently, they sort of "cancel" each other out.

Which is weird, since wellbutrin is a DNRI and dex is also a DNRI + dopamine & norepinephrine releaser; but it is what it is.

Are you taking Wellbutrin for ADHD or Depression?

If the former, phase out the wellbutrin and stick to dex only.

If the latter, phase out the wellbutrin and change your antidepressant. Cymbalta or Remeron may be appropriate choices.

And welcome to the forums by the way

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 07-05-11, 08:38 PM

TheRoof is on a distinguished road

Wow, you struck a chord. Explain more.
Doesn't wellbutrin work on your nerepenaphrine and indirectly boosts your dopamine to a small %?
Both are stimulants, wouldn't they help each other because they work on similar receptors?

I started taking Wellbutrin because I am always fatigued and tired. I feel exausted by 11pm. I started taking Wellbutrin because of its stimulant properties. My fatigue correlated into depression.

IF my fatigue, sleepyness, lack of focus etc was "tweaked" or worked upon. I know my depression would subside, my depression comes from lack of energy and lack of focys.
So I guess when it comes to it. I am taking Wellbutrin for Depression and ADD.

All though hoping it will at least give me "something" to work with.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoof For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-05-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 08:45 PM

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I have NO idea why they cancel each other out, it's WEIRD, but I've heard a number of people say they DO.

I take Wellbutrin and it rocks for energy levels and depression. I have never taken dex.

I suggest either:

(1) Stop the Wellbutrin, and go all out on dex. Give it at least 2 weeks. You may have to titrate your dose upto 20mg+ a day.

Failing that:

(2) Stop the Dex and go back on Wellbutrin. Take 150mg Slow Release twice daily, the 2nd dose 8-10 hrs after the first, for a total of 300 mg.

Give it about 4 weeks and see how you feel.

====

There's people here who know a lot more abt Dex and/or Wellbutrin than me; they'll come on sooner or later and I'm sure will have more to say, so just be patient.

Good Luck

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Old 07-06-11, 02:33 AM

alkalineashes will become famous soon enough

hmm this is interesting.. ive recently went back on wellbutrin and have dex as well.. Ive felt great since I started. I would think the wb causes the exxtra dopemine and NEfrom dex to soak in the synapse longer causing more stimulation but im no chemist.One could be over stimulated I would think but I dont c a canceling out effect
The Following User Says Thank You to alkalineashes For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-06-11)
Old 07-06-11, 11:39 PM

Bumping for the benefit of the Dex and/or Wellbutrin experts.

Old 07-11-11, 01:09 AM

nonsequitur13 is on a distinguished road

I myself have been on this combo and I only have good things to say about it. I too was initially led to believe that a reuptake inhibitors and releasers were not synergistic because the inhibitor would occupy the Dopamine transporter, and prevent the releaser from exerting any action etc. Despite all that, this combination is definitely synergistic, having tried wellbutrin and d-amphetamine type meds separately in the past. My psych has stated that the whole thing about releasers and reuptake inhibitors being incompatible applies moreso to ritalin and d-amph type meds, and I can definitely vouch for that claim. I would give it a shot if I were you, but this combination can bring out some bizarre sensory/proprioception issues and dizziness initially. Like most meds the side effects do seem let off after a while.

Just for a reference, I am currently taking 70mg vyvanse (switched from dex, the controlled release of vyvanse is convenient) and 300mg (150mg x 2 per day, morning and evening) wellbutrin. 70mg vyvanse is probably equivalent to 25-30mg dex.

good luck
N.
The Following User Says Thank You to nonsequitur13 For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-11-11)
Old 07-11-11, 01:19 AM

nonsequitur13 is on a distinguished road

As a side note, apparently d-amphetamine does not have to pass through an inverted dopamine transporter to exert its effects. It is lipophillic enough to diffuse through the cell membranes, so that might explain why they work together..
The Following User Says Thank You to nonsequitur13 For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-11-11)
Old 07-11-11, 09:40 PM

Hikikomori is on a distinguished road

I've been on this combo for a year now, with both Dexedrine and Vyvanse (but mostly Vyvanse, which is essentially just longer-acting Dexedrine), and it certainly has its ups and downs. I definitely did not experience the "canceling out" effect that was mentioned earlier in this thread...quite the opposite, really. The Wellbutrin augments the Vyvanse/Dexedrine and vice versa. For some people this is good, for others, not so much.

I think if you're *not* prone to anxiety, mania, OCD or manic depression then this would likely be a great combo. However, if you are prone to any of those things then this combo can make them 1000x worse, as I have personally experienced. I made a thread a few weeks ago talking about my experience with this combination here:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104988

Basically, it's a very stimulating combo...Wellbutrin mainly raises the levels of norepinephrine and to a lesser extent dopamine, whereas Vyvanse/Dexedrine mainly raises the levels of dopamine and to a lesser extent norepinephrine. In this way, they compliment/augment each other, which is good in that it's excellent for focus, energy, motivation and often mood. However, it's bad in that it can also cause severe anxiety, tension, mania, OCD, mood swings and other such undesirable things associated with levels of norepinephrine and/or dopamine that are too high. This has just been my experience though...many others on this same combo have had totally different experiences, so there's no guarantee that you'll experience any of these things, either good or bad.

Also, regarding your diet question: eat/drink lots of protein. You may find it hard to eat when you're just starting out, in which case you should drink whey protein shakes -- I've found that they help a lot. Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hikikomori For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-12-11), alkalineashes (07-13-11), Lizzie80 (08-12-15)
Old 07-12-11, 03:26 AM

Okay, I have GAD and bipolar.

And come to think of it, one of the people I remember who was mentioning Dex and WB cancelling out has GAD and Cyclothymia.

So thanks for that info.

Old 07-13-11, 06:36 PM

alkalineashes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
Okay, I have GAD and bipolar.

And come to think of it, one of the people I remember who was mentioning Dex and WB cancelling out has GAD and Cyclothymia.

So thanks for that info.
I have GAD and beleive im cyclothymic, which explains my initial "euphoria" with the combo but it eventually became agitation so I quit the wellbutrin.
Abi (07-13-11), Lizzie80 (08-12-15)
Old 07-16-11, 03:27 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

I think bupropion has the potential to displace the effects dextroamphetamine, but I doubt that it is significant in safe doses. By displace, I mean the effects of one drug becomes more prominent and the effects of the other become less. Bupropion isn't very potent as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor compared to, for example, methylphenidate. Clogging 25% or less of DAT or (when taking about 300mg of bupropion perhaps) leaves 75% or more of DAT available for entry. In this case, it seems like there would be additive effects as a net result.

http://biopsychiatry.com/bupropion-dopamine.htm
http://www.springerlink.com/content/dyb3qh1jdrhel3ag/
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-16-11), alkalineashes (07-16-11)
Old 07-16-11, 05:12 PM

stones is on a distinguished road

Adding Wellbutrin to my Concerta prescription worked out better then I ever could have hoped.
I no longer feel medicated at all, just perfectly normal.

If the chosen meds are working perfectly the results should be downright unremarkable, the area's of the brain that need correction are corrected so you operate in a perfectly normal manner without feeling medicated.

My current dosages are
Concerta 45mg
Wellbutrin XL 150mg

As for acidid, citrus type foods and suppliments I just try to avoid them an hour before and after taking the meds, obviously we still need to eat right and get our vitamins.
The Following User Says Thank You to stones For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-16-11)
Old 07-16-11, 05:18 PM

Concerta is methylphenidate.

Wer'e mainly talking about amphetamine + wellbutrin here (ie. dex, vyvanse, adderall)

Thanls for your input tho

The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
HighFunctioning (07-16-11)
Old 08-12-11, 10:59 PM

mrgreyshadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
I have NO idea why they cancel each other out, it's WEIRD, but I've heard a number of people say they DO.

There's people here who know a lot more abt Dex and/or Wellbutrin than me; they'll come on sooner or later and I'm sure will have more to say, so just be patient.

Good Luck

It probably has something to do with CYP450 hepatic (liver) metabolism.

Both dextroamphetamine and bupropion are broken down/activated by CYP450's family of enzymes called "2D6," and (this sounds dumb and I'm not doctor/scientist, but this is just based on my understanding of pharmacology) numerically, 450mg of Wellbutrin will probably take a lot more effect than the 10 or so mg of Dexedrine if they have to compete for the same enzyme.

Also, Wellbutrin works per buproprion molecule on one particular transporter at a time. Wellbutrin inhibits reuptake from that transporter, which blocks dopamine and dopamine-like things from going back into the vesicle after they do their job. This reasonably would prevent amphetamine -- which fools the transporter into thinking it's dopamine or NE or serotonin -- from getting at the transporter or getting into the vesicle. The transporter reuptake action is what gives amphetamine its therapeutic effect, as when amphetamine enters a dopamine or norepinephrine synaptic vesicle (thereoretically) it forces out all the synapse's neurotransmitter.

This prevents amphetamine from doing what it's therapeutically inclined to: forcing out all the neurotransmitter in the vesicle, which is to make the neurotransmitter (DA, NE, SER) goes through the synaptic gap and act on the receptors. This makes space cadets like us better at attention because of increased synaptic dopamine/norepinephrine.

So bupropion, being numerically greater than amphetamine, binds (I think?) for an obscenely long time. This probably prevents amphetamine from getting into the dopamine vesicle in the first place. It also probably has much greater selectivity over amphetamine.

Last edited by mrgreyshadow; 08-12-11 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: typos.. understanding.