ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 07-05-11, 10:41 PM

FluffyKitten is on a distinguished road
Dexedrine Spansules or IR or XR?

I'm currently taking Adderall IR but want to switch to Dex.

I'd prefer IR, but I've heard that the Barr ones are terrible.

I'd prefer not to try a very long acting pill that will interfere with sleep. How are the Spansules? For those who have taken them, how long do they last and how effective are they? Are the XR better?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-11, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dexedrine Spansules or IR or XR?

I take the Barr tablets, and while they're not great, they are the only option for the IR .....the spansules, are extended release capsules......and I would rather take a higher dose that I can control better which is the tablet......

and besides, the caps don't work all that well for me anyway ....

try the tablets first maybe.....you will probably want to try each one anyway ......

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
Old 07-06-11, 09:55 AM

alkalineashes will become famous soon enough

ive only had the IRs and they seem to work fine, alltho I find myself still preferring addys.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-11, 10:26 PM

Canadian4Life is on a distinguished road

spansules (15mg) are good, They take 30-40 mins to full effect but I love the xr spansules
Old 07-20-11, 09:44 PM

sayagain? will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian4Life View Post
spansules (15mg) are good, They take 30-40 mins to full effect but I love the xr spansules
I just switched to the spansules. Do you take yours with an empty stomach? From what I've read, it seems this is the best thing to do. Am I wrong?
Old 07-21-11, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Notafadd is on a distinguished road

My experience with the spansules, which are also made by Teva (Barr), is not bad on the whole, but I have experienced a bit more sleep disturbance than with the IRs. I usually feel them kick in after around 45 mins and last about 6 to 7 hours. However, sometimes it seems like they kick in once, last for around 4 hours and then come back(!) 4 or so hours later. Very strange. Maybe I have a weird gut.

As for the Teva brand, I don't have experience with other brands but I feel that 90% of the time, they're fine. But then there's that 10% where the pill seems either too strong or too weak. I don't know if others have this experience. It's possible the differences I feel have something to do with my diet.. or my weird gut.

FWW I take 2 15mg spansules in the morning and top up with a 5 - 15mg IR in the late afternoon when I need it.