ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-04, 09:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Question Bipolar Linked to Other Disabilities

I heard Shizophrenia is another form of Bipolar...Dunno if that is true, but I know there is more to me than just Melanie..Melly the Inner child and Draga My Protector and My Voice of truth(Love her)...But wondering if that is linked to my abuse.

My Social Axiety, according to the good doctor, is just another part of my Bipolar 2 and I am starting to think I am showing signs of Oppositional Defiant Disorder...Is that linked to Both ADHD & Bipolar?

If Bipolar symptoms are soo much like other disorders...How can I be sure if I have the actual disorder or it's Just my Bipolar?

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-05-04, 10:22 AM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,041 Times in 2,497 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
Now bare with me here. I understand that you are aware of some of this and this is a lot of information, but it should help seeing it all at once to gain a better perspective of where you stand and what each label means in psychatric circles. I know it helped me. Guard and defend yourself with knowledge.

ADHD

Disorder resulting in hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Tends to attract attention by constantly disturbing others.

Bipolar Disorder

Also known as manic-depression, this disorder is characterized by alternating periods of extreme moods. For example, a period of mania may be characterized by excessive energy, restlessness and/or irritability. This period of mania may be followed by a period of depression characterized by feelings of hopelessness and a lack of energy.

Schizophrenia

Is characterized by profound disruption in cognition and emotion, affecting the most fundamental human attributes: language, thought, perception, affect, and sense of self. The array of symptoms, while wide ranging, frequently includes psychotic manifestations, such as hearing internal voices or experiencing other sensations not connected to an obvious source (hallucinations) and assigning unusual significance or meaning to normal events or holding fixed false personal beliefs (delusions). No single symptom is definitive for diagnosis; rather, the diagnosis encompasses a pattern of signs and symptoms, in conjunction with impaired occupational or social functioning (Source: DSM-IV -available on Amazon.com Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR).

Schizophreniform Disorder

A disorder with symptoms that are identical to those of schizophrenia but last 1 to 6 mo.

Schizoaffective disorder

Is a major psychiatric disorder that is quite similar to schizophrenia. The disorder can affect all aspects of daily living, including work, social relationships, and self-care skills (such as grooming and hygiene). People with schizoaffective disorder can have a wide variety of different symptoms, including problems with their contact with reality (hallucinations and delusions), mood (such as marked depression), low motivation, inability to experience pleasure, and poor attention. The serious nature of the symptoms of schizoaffective disorder sometimes requires patients to be hospitalized at times for treatment. The experience of schizoaffective disorder can be described as similar to "dreaming when you are wide awake"; that is, it can be hard for the person with the disorder to distinguish between reality and fantasy.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
Old 09-05-04, 10:28 AM

Schizoaffective disorder

Is a major psychiatric disorder that is quite similar to schizophrenia. The disorder can affect all aspects of daily living, including work, social relationships, and self-care skills (such as grooming and hygiene). People with schizoaffective disorder can have a wide variety of different symptoms, including problems with their contact with reality (hallucinations and delusions), mood (such as marked depression), low motivation, inability to experience pleasure, and poor attention. The serious nature of the symptoms of schizoaffective disorder sometimes requires patients to be hospitalized at times for treatment. The experience of schizoaffective disorder can be described as similar to "dreaming when you are wide awake"; that is, it can be hard for the person with the disorder to distinguish between reality and fantasy.

HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!! That's ME!!!! It sounds like ADHD too in sence of hygenie and concentration.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-04, 10:30 AM

Work...Hmmm Would be like oh Um...ODD type of thing where I have to do it my way and not theirs while arguing with them that my way is better? That'sa moi too

Old 09-05-04, 10:32 AM
Forummarm

Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
The one good thing to remember is that even if we are misdiagnosed, many of the medications used in bipolar are also used for schizophrenia. That's a plus side but knowing me I'd ask anyway. Heck, the first thing I asked the doc was, "Are you sure?"

Old 09-05-04, 10:33 AM

One thing My doc has been telling me is to stop diagnosing myself...LOL I will have to take this too him...Ya got a printer???? ANYONE?

Old 09-05-04, 10:36 AM

I have always wondered if their was more to me than Just the Triple combo of ADHD PTSD and Bipolar....NOW I am not sure about ODD And Schizoaffective disorder...It's all so complex when so many disorders have simular symptoms.

Old 09-05-04, 10:46 AM
Forummarm

That's why we have to trust and rely on them to help us make sense of it all. Hugs sweetie.

Old 09-05-04, 10:49 AM

Hugs Andie....I feel I can trust this doc, but the other docs I would prescribe for them a rectal exam for a CAT SCAN!!!!!

Old 09-05-04, 10:52 AM

Sorry even I am LMAO at that one Ya know that feeling when You just can not help yourself?

Old 09-11-04, 09:26 AM
Contributor

NightStar is on a distinguished road
I am not sure myself, I think I am ADHD having trouble with memory, and procrastenate all the time when I know I need to take care of important matters.

I have low self esteem, and I am anti-social, meaning that if I don't have to be out of the house, then I won't leave at all if I can help it. I like visiting through the internet, and manage my own web site, but sometimes lately I have been dropping out on that as well.

I feel like I am trapped in my own world, have a hard time associating with others, and my emotions are dull, just don't feel much, or talk about much other then my hobby which is credit issues... I feel like a machine just going through the motions these days.

Also up until recently I was always responsible and took care of my bills, not I site and wait to watch it all go down the drain, I just can't bring myself to care, or fight as I have been up until recently, I just want to hide from all of my problems.

I have a great trouble with racing thoughts, always thinking about things, jumping thought to thought, to the point that I keep rambling "I don't know" until I drown it out what is bothering me. I don't want to think, cuase it just makes me sad.
Old 09-15-04, 07:59 AM
Forummarm

Night hon, that's depression. It sounds like you're locked into it and truly need help to dig yourself out. I know all too well what it is you are saying. I've been there too. Just know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and there are people that can help guide you through it. I don't know if you are a God fearing woman but I'll keep you in my prayers and I'll help when and where I can. Hugs hon, you'll get there.

Old 09-15-04, 08:21 AM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Melly... I understand how you feel... but I think you also need to realize you are not as screwed up as you think you are.

Just my 2 cents, IMNSHO.
Old 09-15-04, 09:26 AM
Contributor

NightStar is on a distinguished road
Well I was looking back through copies of my medical records that I had requested a few years back for something else, and found where one lady diagnosed me as ADD back in 1984 - so that helps to know I was not wrong telling me new doctor that I thought I was ADD this year.

I also found that my doctor in 1994 diagnosed me as Borderline Personality, along with Bi-Polar, anti-social... and so forth. I don't feel like a different person, I am just confused with the way things are lately. My husband tells me that I don't make him feel loved, that I don't talk about regular things and that we just don't have anything in common. I don't know how to change that, I just feel locked inside my own mind thinking for hours and hours, I could about go without talking to any one day by day.

I just don't know how to react to others right now, I just feel lost.
Old 09-16-04, 07:48 PM

Other than paying bills on time, Night......I'd say I am the same way...I did try to socialize with people today when I was in a hotel that my sis works at....I think medication and being just plain tired made just made it easy not to care what they thought...and just talked....lucky for me...these were nice people....Well Majority of em.....I am starting to think of a way that I can tell who I can talk to w/o judging me....Say something once and watch reactions...I tried it twice...both different results...one was polite and we had a nice conversation...the other...looked at me and said nothing and turned the other way....Nice person Eh?