ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-06-04, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

douglasb52 has disabled reputation
Ritalin And Sex Drive

Thirty years ago I was into recreational drugs and was especially fond of substances that enhanced sex. Two months into Ritalin, which has helped me a great deal, I notice that above a certain dose threshold I become distracted a little by increased libido. Very similar to cocaine. Not as if it's some big surprise, if you are aware of the close correlation between sex drive and dopamine levels in the brain. Anyway I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience, and whether it's a positive or negative. Like most things that "feel too good," the positive can become a negative. I'm over 50 and it's sorta nice to feel horny, but at the same time it can be a distraction that has nowhere to go, and has that definite mental or emotional "contour" that foreshadows obsessive behavior on the horizon.

Denis Leary

Old 09-28-04, 10:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Stabile has a spectacular aura aboutStabile has a spectacular aura about
I haven't heard that Ritalin affects sex drive one way or the other. Doesn't have the effect you describe on any of us, and we're pretty sensitive to what we put in our bodies.

It does have a hellacious effect on distractibility, just what it's intended to do. And that can change the way you interact with your moment-to-moment situation, alright.

We take Adderall and Ritalin, and there is a distinct difference between the two. Adderall just takes hold and works, without much thought or effort on our part. But Ritalin is more like a little ally with an attitude that sits on your shoulder, a bit wild and with a sharp sense of humor. He wouldn't help you out in a bar fight if you didn't think to ask.

And that's the point: you have to use Ritalin in a conscious way, aware of how it's helping. It doesn't sink into the background like Adderall, so it's a better drug for those that like to keep tabs on what it's doing to them.

We understand the 'feel good' action of Ritalin, but we think it's more of a personal reaction to having someone (or something) to back you up. Sort of a 'been down so long looks like up to me' thing.

--Tom and Kay

"There is no normal life, Wyatt.
There's just life. Get on with it."
The Following User Says Thank You to Stabile For This Useful Post:
Rmcnaught1964 (01-03-13)
Old 02-19-05, 08:49 PM
Jr Member

spacegirlpsych is on a distinguished road
Gives me wacky tendencies sometimes too. I have heard of people saying that it gave them bizarre sex cravings. You can counteract it with SSRIs if it's a problem. Obviously bring it up with your MD first.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-05, 10:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

douglasb52 has disabled reputation
I take Dexedrine now and went through a similar experience, but now that I've gotten used to being medicated in general, that's all settled down. What I noticed mainly is that with these meds you feel a "tickle" run through you, and sometimes you might increase the dose into the "high" territory, but the sexual enhancement is mostly illusion because it will actually block the ability to orgasm.

Denis Leary

Old 04-20-09, 12:27 PM

dent is on a distinguished road
Re: Ritalin And Sex Drive

I recently began taking ritalin 20 mg or concerta 36 mg for adult onset adhd.
I have also seen an increase in libido as well as an a decreased sexual threshold towards premature ejaculation.

My thought is that stimulants such as methylphenidate increase the dopamine and other neural transmitters and therefore increase your sex drive.

This is supported by recent research that suggests the use of SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) in treating sexual dysfunction.

If anyone knows more about this subject please respond.

Obviously the benefits still outweigh this consequence but it may be worth including on the list of ADR's.
Old 04-20-09, 04:10 PM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about

wow, that's old, but i figure i'll add to the thread.

i've been on an NRI until yesterday, this was my first day on ritalin, so i cannot tell much about ritalin... YET. but, ritalin effects mostly dopamine but also noradrenaline.

with the NRI (noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor), i experienced unusual, as in much stronger, orgasms. otherwise, there was no change at all. im curious what ritalin will do... i'll try and remember this topic and post about it.
Old 04-20-09, 09:04 PM

AlbertS is on a distinguished road

no sex change. Being depressed less means more time with sex drive, of course.
Old 04-21-09, 07:54 PM
Contributor

muldoon has a spectacular aura aboutmuldoon has a spectacular aura about

Anything that increases Dopamine can increase sex drive. I first took ritalin 20mgs and along with feeling great, focused, and being on top of my life, I was having the best sex of my life 3 times a day and having 100x the sexual thoughts I'd had prior to taking the medication.
Dopamine & Testosterone generally go hand in hand. I've read that an increase in Dopamine signals a decrease in Prolactin (suppresses sex drive), leading to an increase in Testosterone. Hence the sex drive increase many people experience on Ritalin & other stimulant medications.

Some people claim no change or loss of libido on stimulants. Personally, they put mine into overdrive (or maybe "normal" by some standards). Everyone responds differently.
Old 04-21-09, 09:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,006 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

I was on an SSRI before starting Ritalin, but for me, it has subdued my sex drive (which I believe is a good thing). For me, I was getting distracted by constant sexual thoughts: Ritalin removed those.

I still have a desire for sex and intimacy, but I feel I'm more in control now.
Old 04-22-09, 01:47 PM

Klank is on a distinguished road

It enhances my sex drive 1000 fold. Makes it feel 50 times better too.
Old 04-23-09, 10:48 AM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all

I would say that my sex drive (usually healthy) is slightly elevated on Ritalin. At least it does not kill it like Adderall did for me.
Old 04-29-09, 07:50 AM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about

oh, good thing somebody else posted, i almost forgot about this thread.

i'm on ritalin now, and i think my interest in sex (well, masturbation ) has decreased. the orgasms are 'normal' though, not weaker and not stronger like on the NRI, either.

dunno, i guess i may be lacking interest because i have a lot of stuff to do and on my mind lately, too.
Old 04-29-09, 05:12 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

Well, thankfully I have to say that Ritalin has improved my sex life.

My actual sex drive seems to be more or less the same, but with different behavior. I'm much less submissive and selfish with my girlfriend, and pay more attention to her needs. I have more patience for foreplay and making her in the mood. I'm more creative as well.

Also....I, um, last a lot longer . It's something to do with being less distracted and having less anxiety. Also, the physical response to the medication makes things down there function differently I think.

That pretty much makes everything much more intense and enjoyable for both of us.
Old 05-14-09, 02:42 AM

Featherhead is on a distinguished road

Stimulants generally tend to increase libido response. If this is a good thing, enjoy it. If not, deal with it.
Old 05-14-09, 04:59 AM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm...That earlier post I, um, posted, was about 2 weeks ago, when I first started my 60mg a day regimen. Since then I haven't noticed any difference. I haven't really had a chance to.....well, "test the waters", but when I do I'll make a note of any differences. My gut tells me that everything's back to normal more or less, but we'll see. Hopefully not
Jello_dave (09-12-13)