ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-19-11, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

surferdude123 has a spectacular aura aboutsurferdude123 has a spectacular aura about
Adderall+Xanax for Exams?

Has anyone done this? or been prescribed this?

What did they find?
Old 07-19-11, 08:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold
Re: Adderall+Xanax for Exams?

I'm on Adderall and Klonopin for ADHD + Anxiety. (Also Wellbutrin)

It makes you feel a little overmedicated and fuzzy but benzos and stimulants do not cancel each other out as one would think - It actually works out quite well for me.

The danger and the reason that this isn't perscribed more often is pretty daunting - By being on both of these, you are now taking the two most addictive psych meds on the face of the planet, and the potential for abuse, dependency and an inevitable nightmare withdrawal period at some point is always there.

Both are also drugs of tolerance - They lose effect over time and you have to continue to raise the dose to achieve the same benefits. Benzos are not a long-term solution for anxiety in most cases and should only be used when SSRIs and other anti-anxiety options have been exhausted. They are adequate for situational anxiety or short-term use, but keep in mind that you're going to be dealing with an overwhelming temptation to use them on the regular.

I have never experienced a medication combination that is this 'good'. It is probably too good, which is why I'm extremely vigilant with it and only take the benzo when I absolutely need it, and in very small amounts. I'd advise you do the same.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to siglerja For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-20-11), surferdude123 (07-20-11)
Old 07-19-11, 10:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

surferdude123 has a spectacular aura aboutsurferdude123 has a spectacular aura about

thanks
appreciate it.

Have you taken this combination for an oral, or written exam that was important before? Like in college/university/grad school, or vocational school etc?

How do you find it works?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-11, 11:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,070 Times in 7,698 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Are you prescribed these medicines to be taken at the same time or separate? They don't cancel each other out per se but I always feel more of one drug over another when I've taken both. Why do you want to take both for a school situation?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
surferdude123 (07-20-11)
Old 07-20-11, 12:46 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

yah I am prescribed them, but I've usually only taken the Xanax at night...never during the day a 1mg dose.

I was wondering if I took the Adderall + Xanax for an exam I have coming up if it would be beneficial to eliminate any anxiety.....I'm already taking Lexapro + Memantine and it works quite well. I'm just wondering about this combination if it would be worth it.
Old 07-20-11, 01:44 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

I am prescribed both adderall and klonopin - the latter for occasional episodes of anxiety due to PTSD. I have taken klonopin on occasion when I have suffered from performance anxiety - like with an exam or a project that is due. The klonopin has helped me to level out and do a better job I believe. I have never heard that klonopin is extremely addictive. I suppose that if I started taking it by the handful, I'd probably run into problems, but at the dose my doctor prescribes, it has never caused me any difficulties.
The Following User Says Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
surferdude123 (07-20-11)
Old 07-20-11, 01:45 AM

gdefenbau is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Adderall+Xanax for Exams?

Hi! I'm a college student in grad school. I am prescribed both Adderall (10mg 3x's per day) and Xanax (0.5mg 2x's per day or as needed). I've been on Adderall for almost 8 years and my dosages have varied throughout the years. I started with Adderall XR 20mg/day and then I switched to Adderall IR 20mg 2x's per day. I decided that the 20mg 2x's/day was a little much for me so I switched to the 10mg 3x's/day (within the last year) and it has really helped me a lot more.

I recently started having anxiety and panic attacks due to a heavy summer course load. I just finished my finals last week. I was getting really worked up over one of my finals, so I decided to take a Xanax about 45 mins before my exam. It really helped my anxiety, but during the exam, I just couldn't focus. The Xanax made me somewhat drowsy and just a little too relaxed. I also took an Adderall when I took the Xanax because I knew it would make me drowsy so I was hoping the Adderall would counteract the drowsiness. Long story short, I ended up having to take a second Adderall about 30 mins into my exam (thank goodness we were allowed 3 hrs to take the exam!). So, I pretty much had to double my normal 10mg of Adderall to 20mg of Adderall just to counteract the Xanax.

It's really a matter of personal preference and how your body reacts to each medication. If Xanax makes you drowsy and extremely relaxed (like it does me), then I would suggest that you maybe try the combo a couple of days beforehand so that you can adjust accordingly to your own reactions.

I'm not sure about the Lexapro + Memantine + Adderall + Xanax combo altogether. You might want to check with your Dr or Pharm just to make sure there are no serious interactions.

Hope this helped! Good luck on your exams!
The Following User Says Thank You to gdefenbau For This Useful Post:
surferdude123 (07-20-11)
Old 07-20-11, 04:22 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanks man!
this answers my question!
Old 07-20-11, 04:23 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdefenbau View Post
Hi! I'm a college student in grad school. I am prescribed both Adderall (10mg 3x's per day) and Xanax (0.5mg 2x's per day or as needed). I've been on Adderall for almost 8 years and my dosages have varied throughout the years. I started with Adderall XR 20mg/day and then I switched to Adderall IR 20mg 2x's per day. I decided that the 20mg 2x's/day was a little much for me so I switched to the 10mg 3x's/day (within the last year) and it has really helped me a lot more.

I recently started having anxiety and panic attacks due to a heavy summer course load. I just finished my finals last week. I was getting really worked up over one of my finals, so I decided to take a Xanax about 45 mins before my exam. It really helped my anxiety, but during the exam, I just couldn't focus. The Xanax made me somewhat drowsy and just a little too relaxed. I also took an Adderall when I took the Xanax because I knew it would make me drowsy so I was hoping the Adderall would counteract the drowsiness. Long story short, I ended up having to take a second Adderall about 30 mins into my exam (thank goodness we were allowed 3 hrs to take the exam!). So, I pretty much had to double my normal 10mg of Adderall to 20mg of Adderall just to counteract the Xanax.

It's really a matter of personal preference and how your body reacts to each medication. If Xanax makes you drowsy and extremely relaxed (like it does me), then I would suggest that you maybe try the combo a couple of days beforehand so that you can adjust accordingly to your own reactions.

I'm not sure about the Lexapro + Memantine + Adderall + Xanax combo altogether. You might want to check with your Dr or Pharm just to make sure there are no serious interactions.

Hope this helped! Good luck on your exams!

When you were on the XRs what did you take to sleep?

I'm on a 25mg XR and it seems very stimulating...even way into the night.
Old 07-20-11, 10:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold

I would try a .5 mg dose (break it in half) and see if that works. Don't want to be too fuzzy for the exam.
Old 07-20-11, 10:54 AM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,395 Times in 7,188 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall for the studying

6 mg Bromazepam on the morning of the exam (medium potency, medium metabolic rate)

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 07-21-11, 01:27 AM

gdefenbau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude123 View Post
When you were on the XRs what did you take to sleep?

I'm on a 25mg XR and it seems very stimulating...even way into the night.
I took 1.5mg Lunesta to help me sleep when I was on the XR's.

I take several night classes and on days that I have a night class, I'll take my last Adderall of the day around 6pm for class. Sometimes I still have a problem going to sleep but the Xanax has definitely helped with that also. Before I was prescribed the Xanax, I was taking a 10mg Edluar to help me go to sleep when I needed it. I loved the Edluar but I would not recommend mixing it with Xanax. Edluar is a sublingual tablet that dissolves under your tongue.

Talk to your Dr about possibly trying the Edluar if you only take your Xanax as needed and not on a daily basis.