ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 07-23-11, 01:59 PM

aystro will become famous soon enough
Poor reading skills: you are supposed to picture what you read?

Hi there, I wonder what kind of problems ADD people encounter when they are just unable to grasp reading material, especially something uninteresting. Since I can remember, I never was able to read properly. I thought that reading consisted of me pronouncing the words in a good speed and that was it. If you 'read' fast like I did, I was a pro basically. That was until I was 11 and people actually questioned me about what I read specifically and that's where the 'letter dementia' -feeling was exposed.
So to sum up when I read uninteresting material I only see the words but the meaning never gets to my brain. I dont picture anything like normal people are supposed to. I observed my self when I read something interesting. When I do that I get the main idea, what the story is about but never the little things. So it's a paradox either way.

Anybody else?
The Following User Says Thank You to aystro For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-23-11)
Old 07-23-11, 04:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,034 Times in 461 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of
Re: Poor reading skills: you are supposed to picture what you read?

Right now, I don't feel like adding much more but that I have the same exact problem. I can read without understanding, without knowing what I read. When doing just that, I can read very fast.

When I need to understand what I am reading, things become way more difficult. I need to put effort into "dissecting" the sentence. I can easily write and understand long sentences, particullary in my mother tongue (obviously). But this is only when the situation is "perfect". Hard to explain right now exactly what I am experiencing, but let's just say: My brain should have no problem with C1-sentences, but it feels as if the part that sees the words does not transmit the information to the part that needs to "give a meaning" to what I am reading.

If that makes any sense.
aystro (07-23-11), namazu (07-23-11)
Old 07-23-11, 06:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 825 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aystro View Post
I dont picture anything like normal people are supposed to. I observed my self when I read something interesting. When I do that I get the main idea, what the story is about but never the little things. So it's a paradox either way.

Anybody else?
Being able to do this (read in pictures) really isnt something that "normal people" do naturally. Its a skill that everyone has to develop, some people develop it faster than others. In truth, theres nothing abnormal about what you are experiencing.

Even when people are learning speed reading whether they're add, dyslexic or blind, its our initial response to see the words rather than the concept. Identifying the words triggers a cognitive response to retrieve specific definitions from your long term memory, seeing the concepts triggers a recognition of concepts. The more you do it (and its not like a once a week thing) the more depth the concept will have, and the faster you would recognize larger pieces of the picture.. and then all of a sudden you're reading in pictures. The fact that your seeing the concept over the words is (in truth) a step up. But it is a shift to go from one reading skill over to the next, and comprehension does take a dive until your brain assimilates and accommodates.

Reading some thing that your uninterested in always sucks because you cant visualize what you're reading.

I_DTour
The Following User Says Thank You to Impromptu_DTour For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (07-23-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-11, 08:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,240 Times in 2,409 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's now known that abstract thought can take a variety of forms. For instance, when doing math, one can see two colors forming together, etc other examples I just can't think of them right now.